My procedure...Re: [BaylinerBuccaneerGroup] Rigging and launching time

  • schumacherhj
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 30, 2011
      Thanks Phil and Andres, very helpful. You relieved my fears. Regarding the Catalina 1.5 hrs rigging, I read a number of threads with that. Maybe too many beers for the guys doing the work?

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 5, 2011
        I suppose no reason except I have always taken them off because I sometimes store my mast off the boat at home as have been renovating it.  i found color coding speeded that part up for me.

        Andrew

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 17, 2011
          I have a tall rig 240 (BU240) the mast is too long to have it rest on the crutch without being held down when pinning it as to much hangs off the back. Its all two guys can do to lift it. A 8 foot gin pole does make it easy. I used a 4 to 1 pulley block. 2 to 1 is not enough. I lift it by the extra hole for the fore stay on the bowsprit.

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 17, 2011
            I too have to hold my mast down.  I made a rear crutch which bolts to my gudgeons and has a roller on top.  I walk the mast back guiding it on the roller, until the foot is located to be pinned and now I have to push down to hold it while I pin it.  Once pinned, I found I could not easily walk my mast up either, so looked online to find an easy method.  I looked at several methods on you tube and settled on using the one I added to the group.. using the method for raising the mast on a Catalina 22.  I bought a cheap winch at Harbor Freight and so my winch is attached on my 2x4 as in the video.  I did bed and bolt 2 pieces of angle aluminum to my deck to attach the A-Frame because I need to raise and lower it frequently on rivers.  My mast is rather heavy. I can barely lift it alone when it is not on the boat and this is without the boom or any sails attached.. just the bare mast

            Andrew