Re: [BaylinerBuccaneerGroup] Scraping a 240 Buc

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 11, 2011
      That is possible since it is a filled in glass keel.

      I will do mine on the trailer but otherwise i would opt to pressure wash it once a year and make a day of it.  If it doesnt need painting you might not even have to take it off the crane slings.

      This is my forst 240 so i am inclined to be extra careful with the hull.  Also i do not relish stretching a job into a week even if I could.

      Andrew

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 25, 2011
        I think I have now worked out about all of the details needed to put the Bucc on drydock.
        One thing I now need information about is this. I want to protect the keel by placing planks under it to more evenly distribute the weight. I need to know from anyone that has a 240 on a trailer what the distance is from the back of the boat to the aft end of the keel & it`s length. Thanks & take care. Bob

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 26, 2011
          My 240 is sitting on its trailer so here are the measurements taken from a board vertical with the transom.

          where the keel attaches to the hull it begins 36 inches in from the transom and ends 164 inches forward of thet.

          THIS IS PROBABLY THE MEASUREMENT YOU WANT...  with the keel resting on the trailer it tapers down to where it starts  62 inches in from the transom and extends forward 68 inches before tapering upward.  It sits in a U channel  6 inches wide.

          You could put a 2x12 from ACE under the keel and use stands or you could build a cradle out of braced 4 x 4 pieces.

          Hope this helps,

          Andrew

          I think I have now worked out about all of the details needed to put the Bucc on drydock.
          One thing I now need information about is this. I want to protect the keel by placing planks under it to more evenly distribute the weight. I need to know from anyone that has a 240 on a trailer what the distance is from the back of the boat to the aft end of the keel & it`s length. Thanks & take care. Bob

          --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, Bob Ingman <thingman2000@...> wrote:

          > I am about to bring my 240 out of the water for the first time to scrape the hull. I have a dry dock available but also am considering the use of a sandy beach at low tide. Any tips that will help secure a safe damage free operation will be appreciated. Thanks & take care. Bob
          >
          > For a view of Southeast Alaska visit my gallery at
          > http://northland.smugmug.com

        • Bob Ingman
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 26, 2011
            Thanks Andrew. That`s exactly whet I needed to know. Take care. Bob

          • bob.sparks@rocketmail.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 27, 2011
              I took it off my trailer at a boat yard once. The lowered it to rest the keel on a 6 inch wide board the length of the flat part of the keel. They then blocked it with four stacks a stack of three bricks and a board under the hull a couple of feet from the hull. The stacks had a slight cant towards the center of the boat. Then they removed the travel lift. While under storage the tarp blew off and the boat got a few inches of water on the cabin floor. With the extra weight the boat weathered fine. The next winter I had them repeat the same procedure but I had them shrink wrap it. Bottom line resting the keel on a board seems to be okay. If you want a little extra protection you could cover the board with foam insulation or heavy carpet.

              --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, Bob Ingman <thingman2000@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Andrew. That`s exactly whet I needed to know. Take care. Bob
              >

              > For a view of Southeast Alaska visit my gallery at
              > http://northland.smugmug.com
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Bob Ingman
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 28, 2011
                Thanks for the help I received here I was able to successfully dry dock the bucc fior the day and attend to scraping. I added zinc to the shaft & rudder ( mine rudder is alunimum). This drydock in my village is set up to tie up at high tide and allow time for the tide to go out leaving the boat high & dry for a few hrs. All went off without a hitch.  I have photos. Take care. Bob

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 28, 2011
                  Aluminum rudder may be added by a previous owner.  My rudder on my 240 is laminated wood and glassed over.

                  Glad to hear everything is going good with your hauling out.

                  Andrew

                  Thanks for the help I received here I was able to successfully dry dock the bucc fior the day and attend to scraping. I added zinc to the shaft & rudder ( mine rudder is alunimum). This drydock in my village is set up to tie up at high tide and allow time for the tide to go out leaving the boat high & dry for a few hrs. All went off without a hitch.  I have photos. Take care. Bob

                  For a view of Southeast Alaska visit my gallery at
                  http://northland.smugmug.com

                  I took it off my trailer at a boat yard once. The lowered it to rest the keel on a 6 inch wide board the length of the flat part of the keel. They then blocked it with four stacks a stack of three bricks and a board under the hull a couple of feet from the hull. The stacks had a slight cant towards the center of the boat. Then they removed the travel lift. While under storage the tarp blew off and the boat got a few inches of water on the cabin floor. With the extra weight the boat weathered fine. The next winter I had them repeat the same procedure but I had them shrink wrap it. Bottom line resting the keel on a board seems to be okay. If you want a little extra protection you could cover the board with foam insulation or heavy carpet.

                  --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, Bob Ingman <thingman2000@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks Andrew. That`s exactly whet I needed to know. Take care. Bob
                  >

                  > For a view of Southeast Alaska visit my gallery at
                  > http://northland.smugmug.com

                • Bob Ingman
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 29, 2011
                    Andrew I added the aluminum rudder myself as a replacement for the original laminated water logged unit that came on it. It was taken from a 25' steel lifeboat hull I owned at the time. Take care. Bob

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 29, 2011
                      Very Cool!

                      I am green with envy   :D big grin

                      To buy thick aluminum plate and make one would cost a fortune.

                      Andrew