Re: Factory serial and hull number?

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 26, 2011
      No, No, and No...... The sailboat business part of Bayliner is DEAD,
      and so are most of the people who worked there. Bayliner sold the molds to US Yachts, because the Capri motorboats were selling like hotcakes.
      Bayliner went on, selling a billion boats and becoming the company they are today. But they STOPPED making sailboat parts 35 years ago. They still make motorboat parts...let's see, what parts do they have in common? uhmmm....... NOT winches,sails,mast,booms,tillers,halyards,
      rigging......maybe a rubrail? a 1 1/2 inch stainless screw? The last year the Columbia 23t was produced was 1977. The 23t molds could not have been used to make the Bucc 200 & 210 as they are shorter than the 240/245.
      Truth be known, all those sailboat designers and builders
      have about 2 degrees of separation. The Columbia/Coronado/Bayliner/
      USYachts/Morgan/Catalina are all related. The Catalina 22 was supposed to be the "Columbia 22" that got canceled and the molds were supposed to be destroyed. The rest is history, as they say.
      TRUST me, you will not find replacement parts. Except, I did find that the Catalina Direct, mast/stern little clear dome light was almost the exact same thing as My Bucc 220 light. But, I couldn't find r/g nav lights.
      My ('79)HIN number does not have a dash number. But it was made in November of '78, but my title says it's a 79 model, go figure. Regardless of what the state of California wants to put on their titles, the people who knew what that dash meant, are only the Bayliner Sailboat people, and they are all dead and gone.
      Message 31 of 31 , Sep 1, 2011
        Okay am willing to let this all go..  I think it best to move onward and upward.  :) happy

        I will try to re-summarize and explain again where I got my information from,  so others do not think i have pulled it all 'out of thin air' and made it up which I have not..

        I did talk to the Bayliner company and they were in business and they did give me helpful information that solved my particular problem.  Maybe they would not have solved everyone's problem.  I don't know.

        Most sailboat manufacturers fabricate a hull from molds and then they buy all the parts from third party suppliers even the mast extrusion material.  They cut and make up rigging just as any chandler will do for you.  My masthead is pop riveted to the mast material.  The hatches are generally bought from some manufacturer in quantity and incorporated into a design.

        I don't think it matters a lot where the part comes from if someone can get a part that will fit without radically cutting their boat up.

        Personally i want to help anyone find what they need to fix up their boat and I think others in here feel the same way.  I am trying to add 'How To' information to the group (please take time to check the files and Links sections folks) and I share what has worked for me.

        Yes that often means some amount of handyman expertise and working with metal, wood and fiberglass and the use of various tools is required.  That is pretty much a necessity for anyone attempting to fix up an older vintage boat.

        My 240 has ended up being a rebuild from the hull up.. tho I did not plan it like that.  As i got into the project I would come across something and say to myself "SELF.. you many as well go ahead and do this too while you are at it!"  LOL

        The 200 series of Buccaneers were designed to be low cost family cruisers for inland and coastal sailing in protected waters with the ability to make short offshore voyages. such as among the Bahamas or Caribbean Islands.  I have never seen any boat come with a label that says "this boat is only for lake use"   LOL     In refurbishing my 240 I have noticed that my hull thickness and care of construction is no less than that of a Columbias 24, Pearson 26, Cataliona 22 or a Hunter 25.  In short, it was not made in an inferior manner.

        John Vigor in his book "Twenty Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere"

        Twenty Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere (Paperback)
        by John Vigor
        Paradise Cay Publications; 1st edition (December 1, 1999)
        ISBN-10: 0939837323
        ISBN-13: 978-0939837328

        ...talks about 'beefing up' a boat for ocean use and he goes into it in some detail for a stock Catalina 27.  These modifications will also apply to most other coastal cruisers whether a Hunter 25, Catalina 22 or  Buccaneer 240.

        I have pretty much followed his suggestions and also added a few things of my own to my Buccaneer 240.  I shared with the group the things I am doing to my boat and where I got the information from.

        I agree that this amount of work may not be everyone's cup of tea.  However if a boat is 'splashed' copied or cloned from another well known seagoing boat, and the hull is sound, it can usually be strengthened and 'beefed up' to handle reasonable offshore use.

        Of course 'reasonable' does not include Latitudes 40 and 50 and rounding the Horn etc.  Although Robert Taylor has sailed his small 21 foot trailer sailor across the north Atlantic I think 5 times now. There was a member in this group who posted they were sailing their 240 in the north Atlantic somewhere of the US coast.

        Does it include sailing  the Great Lakes?  from the Carolinas to Bermuda?  Florida to Puerto Rico?  Georgia to the Bahamas?  The north and south American coastlines?  Absolutely.   This is the kind of 'extended cruising' that Bayliner had in mind for the 24 and 27 Buccaneers.  In fact the Great Lakes are often more treacherous than offshore and coastal ocean cruising.

        I would like to stress that mid sized Buccaneer hulls were well made, and not so cheaply constructed that they are unsuitable for anything more than 'grandpa's' pond.

        As is from the factory they are suited for coastal cruising and short offshore voyages such as Caribbean island hopping.  Can they be beefed up to include ocean use?  According to folks like  John Vigor and others who have done it to vintage 'plastic classics'... yes they can.

        I intend to continue to post about upgrades and repairs that folks like John Vigor have done and people like myself emulate.  The boat owner themselves have to decide whether their boat building expertise is up to the task of a major renovation.

        As I already said, this may not be everyone's cup of tea.