Re: water line

  • Phil Collins
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 15, 2009
      That won't tell you where the water line is. It is a way to get a straight line around the curve of the hull, but it won't tell you WHERE the boat floats.

      --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "bucclivaboard" <natfrost@...> wrote:

      > you can find the water line with a hose that has water in it that you put from bow down on the ground and the back up at the stern its in the book good old boat (or is it this old boat?) by don casey. i dont know a lot about it yet because i have not looked into it yet, but i can find more info if you want!

    • Phil Collins
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 15, 2009
        My 220 waterline stripe was WAY off.

        Since I will be sanding off the old bottom paint and also repainting the entire hull before its done, I measured where it actually floated and will put my new waterline stripe in the right place.

        By the way, I'd like to mention that how you load the boat can drastically change how she floats too. I saw someone not long ago with a bank of batteries and a good 100 gallons of water tankage under the vee berth of a 23 foot boat. (No wonder it sailed poorly...) Sank the bow down a good 5 inches!

        Measuring 40" back from the bow, then vertically straight down from the rub rail, MY stripe
        was- 32"
        actual float lines is - 35"
        At the stern, the waterline stripe goes right to the bottom tip of the little skeg at the stern, and that's where she actually floats too.

        paint my stripe at 33" in front and 2" above the tip of the skeg at the stern, so the stripe will be a little above water and level with how she floats.

        I stuck a drawing in my photo folder if you can't visualize it.

        --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "rcorsie@..." <rcorsie@...> wrote:

        > My bucc 220 was repainted and I don't think the water line stripe was put on right and I was wondering if anyone with a 220 could make a couple of measurements for me.....from the rubrail right down the bow, at the chain plate, at the winch, and at the transom
        > Thank You
        > Rick

      • Phil Collins
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 15, 2009
          ACtually in the first pic in my folder ("Rescued") you can see the waterline at the stern.

          The only way to be sure your new waterline is in the right place is to mark it with your boat floating, with your normal gear on board. Otherwise, no matter what, you're only 'ballparking it.'