Re: Rudder Play on US25

  • bustinjustinus25
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2011
      Hi Charlie,

      On my US 25 the outer dimension of my rudder post is 2.871", the interior dimension of the rudder shaft is 3".

      What else can I measure out for you?

      --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "charles" <adam56usa@...> wrote:

      > Hey Justin,
      > I have a US 25 also and I have to replace the rudder completely. The old rudder is off the coast of Florida somewhere. If it is possible, please take a photo of your rudder assembly and post it. I am having a great deal of difficulty getting information and drawing of the assembly. The lower half of my shaft, below the quadrant, Also, when I pulled the rudder through shaft, I saw that the so called bearing was PVC pipe with grease fittings I will have to add more PVC because there is none there and my shaft also was wobbling.
      > I think that we can help one another seeing that we both own US 25'S.
      > I didn't mention that my boat has both wheel and tiller steering. That is what I mean below the quadrant. I now have to figure out how to assemble the rudder, which has it's own stainless steel shaft, and the rudder shaft that goes through the hull which is about 2-1/2 inch aluminum.
      > Thanks,
      > Charlie
      >

      > BuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "bustinjustinus25" <justin.bowers@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi all,
      > >
      > > Over the past couple of years the rudder has developed some play in the post and it has come up on the list of things I would like to resolve. I'm hoping someone has a BTDT experience to help guide me in how to go about fixing it. I'm guessing that while having some form of bearings might might sense, I'm betting it is unlikely that is how these are built! So what wears out? Is there a collar of some kind that goes around the post?
      > >
      > > Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
      > >
      > > Best regards,
      > >
      > > Justin

    • charles
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2011
        thanks for helping out. I found a rudder on of all places Ebay. It was made for a Capri but it will work Bought it from a Guy in Wisconsin for 195.00.shipping was 45.00

        --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "bustinjustinus25" <justin.bowers@...> wrote:

        > Hi Charlie,
        >
        > On my US 25 the outer dimension of my rudder post is 2.871", the interior dimension of the rudder shaft is 3".
        >
        > What else can I measure out for you?
        >

        > --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "charles" <adam56usa@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hey Justin,
        > > I have a US 25 also and I have to replace the rudder completely. The old rudder is off the coast of Florida somewhere. If it is possible, please take a photo of your rudder assembly and post it. I am having a great deal of difficulty getting information and drawing of the assembly. The lower half of my shaft, below the quadrant, Also, when I pulled the rudder through shaft, I saw that the so called bearing was PVC pipe with grease fittings I will have to add more PVC because there is none there and my shaft also was wobbling.
        > > I think that we can help one another seeing that we both own US 25'S.
        > > I didn't mention that my boat has both wheel and tiller steering. That is what I mean below the quadrant. I now have to figure out how to assemble the rudder, which has it's own stainless steel shaft, and the rudder shaft that goes through the hull which is about 2-1/2 inch aluminum.
        > > Thanks,
        > > Charlie
        > >

        > > BuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "bustinjustinus25" <justin.bowers@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi all,
        > > >
        > > > Over the past couple of years the rudder has developed some play in the post and it has come up on the list of things I would like to resolve. I'm hoping someone has a BTDT experience to help guide me in how to go about fixing it. I'm guessing that while having some form of bearings might might sense, I'm betting it is unlikely that is how these are built! So what wears out? Is there a collar of some kind that goes around the post?
        > > >
        > > > Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
        > > >
        > > > Best regards,
        > > >
        > > > Justin

      • smshield28
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 3, 2011
          I just pulled the rudder on my Bucc 220 last night.

          It has a plastic sleeve with a lip in the boat mounted bracket holes. When I pulled the rudder up, one of the sleeves stayed in the hole, the other was still stuck to the pegs on the rudder. I pulled the one off the rudder and dropped it back into the bracket hole.

          So the rudder rides on the sleeve, not metal on metal.

          I'll probably use a dab of marine trailer bearing grease on the posts before I drop it back in.

          Am repainting/fixing my rudder.
        • smshield28
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 3, 2011
            Bracket hole = gudgeon