lines aft? deck plate

  • bucclivaboard
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1 10:06 AM
      i want to run my lines aft. but i also want to have a mast step plate on deck. i know rig rite and places like that sell ones that go under the mast step, but i dont want to have to pay big bucks for one and dont want to have to drop the rig to install it. i was thinking a coud get a chunk of s/s or aluminum and have it bent to a 80-90 angle. and drill holes in it. then thru bolt it wil large backing plates below deck. would this work?i was thinking it could be about 3 inches high and then the blocks would hook to that. it would look like the taff rail. or hay maybe i could just get a small chunk of taff rail! would this work?
      thanks
      o yes its a bucc275 so not to high of loads!
    • Phil Collins
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2 1:34 PM
        If you are going to thru bolt something rather than put a plate under the mast step, I'd just put a large backing plates underneath and use stand-up blocks on deck. Cleaner.
        But, you have to get the layout right the first time or you end up re-sealing and redrilling holes..

        I've had local sheet metal shops make plates for far less money than buying the marine parts.
        The separate pieces you describe will work fine too.

        ONLY use stainless. Aluminum fatigues and breaks quickly...