Trailer or not?

  • bayliner.bill
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 1 7:28 AM
      My 240 is on a good wooden cradle now and is launched and retrieved by the yacht club's travel lift. I'm thinking about a trailer to allow me to launch and retrieve myself, and also to take trips to other bays and large lakes.
      1) Is it realistic for me to think I can do this?
      2) Will my Ford F-150 half ton six cylinder haul it?
      3) I can buy a new trailer for about $4,000. Is this too much?
      4) Or, I have a great set of house trailer axles (with electric brakes), tires and wheels. I've been hesitating on having a road worthy trailer built because of cost and also I'm dealing with rust and saltwater.
      Comments, anyone?
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 1 2:35 PM
        1. It's a trailerable boat, so why not?
        2. Ouch. Yes, but it will be barely adequate. Low on power and more importantly, brakes. Trailer brakes will be essential, and a large transmission cooler if it's an automatic, but power will still be an issue.
        3. Sounds about average, but you better be sure you'll keep the boat forever, since that's more than the boat is worth...
        4. House trailer axles are not designed for continuous service. They are really not suitable. (I know, people do make utility trailers and such with house trailer axles, but I wouldn't do it for boat towing, unless it's just one trip home and back each year type of service.)
        But axles are cheap. The steel to build a trailer with costs more than a pair of axles.

        Any good used trailer of suitable weight rating (not too light, but also not too heavy duty) can be modified to make a good boat trailer. Don't even have to start with a boat trailer, although that can make it easier.

        --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "bayliner.bill" <bayliner.bill@...> wrote:

        > My 240 is on a good wooden cradle now and is launched and retrieved by the yacht club's travel lift. I'm thinking about a trailer to allow me to launch and retrieve myself, and also to take trips to other bays and large lakes.
        > 1) Is it realistic for me to think I can do this?
        > 2) Will my Ford F-150 half ton six cylinder haul it?
        > 3) I can buy a new trailer for about $4,000. Is this too much?
        > 4) Or, I have a great set of house trailer axles (with electric brakes), tires and wheels. I've been hesitating on having a road worthy trailer built because of cost and also I'm dealing with rust and saltwater.
        > Comments, anyone?

      • bayliner.bill
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 1 3:31 PM
          Thanks Phil. Lots to think about on this one. BTW, when I said house trailer I meant travel trailer, if that makes any difference.

          --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "PhilC" <PandD_Collins@...> wrote:

          > 1. It's a trailerable boat, so why not?
          > 2. Ouch. Yes, but it will be barely adequate. Low on power and more importantly, brakes. Trailer brakes will be essential, and a large transmission cooler if it's an automatic, but power will still be an issue.
          > 3. Sounds about average, but you better be sure you'll keep the boat forever, since that's more than the boat is worth...
          > 4. House trailer axles are not designed for continuous service. They are really not suitable. (I know, people do make utility trailers and such with house trailer axles, but I wouldn't do it for boat towing, unless it's just one trip home and back each year type of service.)
          > But axles are cheap. The steel to build a trailer with costs more than a pair of axles.
          >
          > Any good used trailer of suitable weight rating (not too light, but also not too heavy duty) can be modified to make a good boat trailer. Don't even have to start with a boat trailer, although that can make it easier.
        • mtboat1
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 1 4:33 PM
            I am pulling my 240 with a old Dodge1/2 ton 4x4 van. There are aftermarket devices called overload springs that can be added to existing rear springs and that helps with the tongue weight. Towing is not really the problem, it's the steepness of the ramp into the lake. The tense moment comes when you try to pull it out. Four wheel drive helps a lot, and I am thinking of adding a receiver hitch to the front end. One problem I have found is that, for a shallow draft boat...I still need 4 1/2 ft of water to get it off the trailer, and sometimes that means backing totally into the water. Extendable tongue might help, but has limits. If not 4 wheel drive I would use a 3/4 ton anything.

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 1 4:58 PM
              Yes Indeed.  I have a 240 on an EZ-Load trailer with extendable tongue and my old 1981 Ford F150 hauls it just fine.  I hardly know its back there.  The EZ-Load has the master cylinder in the hitch so you don't need to add trailer brake controles in your vehicle and it is mechanical not electric.. same thing U-HAUL uses.

              Andrew

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 1 5:03 PM
                I am planning some extended time cruising out of the USA and may consider selling my EZ-Load Trailer for a 240 after I launch my boat which i am presently refurbishing.  Message me Bill off group if you want to discuss it.

                Andrew

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 2 12:47 PM
                  Big difference. Travel trailer axles are designed for long life, house trailer axles only to make one trip.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 2 12:56 PM
                    If you need overload springs to help with the tongue weight of a 2500 lb boat (call it 4000 lbs total weight all loaded up,) - your trailer is set up all wrong.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 2 1:41 PM
                      I only suggested overloads because they were suggested to me for trips with distance. Take a look at my trailer in photos(Illusion). Since it is my first boat and trailer, I don't have much to compare to, but I am used to raft company trailers and they are balanced nicely. I get the feeling this was a Caulkins smoker boat trailer that somebody welded the uprights to. Double axle, but I think the weight should be farther back, and if it was, tongue weight wouldn't be an issue. This setup squats a 1/2 ton a little too much, but probably can't be changed because of the construction, and it has these side planks like decks built into it. Pretty nice trailer breaks.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 3 2:49 PM
                        Thanks everyone. I must say that I'm thinking hard about my direction in the future...18 day trips between June and September alone...or a 12 day holiday each summer in Europe or the Carribean each year. Not sure yet what I'm gonna do! It's all about the $3500, right?
                      • bayliner.bill
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 7 4:32 AM
                          So the Ford F-150 has a V6 engine? I saw the barking system you describe on a Y-Tube video. Good idea.

                          > Yes Indeed.  I have a 240 on an EZ-Load trailer with extendable tongue and my old 1981 Ford F150 hauls it just fine.  I hardly know its back there.  The EZ-Load has the master cylinder in the hitch so you don't need to add trailer brake controles in your vehicle and it is mechanical not electric.. same thing U-HAUL uses.
                          >
                          > Andrew

                        • bayliner.bill
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 7 4:41 AM
                            Andres:
                            Let me try that again...it's still early here and I have only one cup of java aboard me yet! My F-150 P/U has a V6. Is yours a bigger engine? Also, I saw the braking system that you describe on a You Tube video on trailer construction. Good idea.
                          • Jeff Buck
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 7 5:26 AM
                            • 1 Attachment
                            • 127 KB
                            I hauled my B240 about 150 miles using my Tacoma with a 4.0 V6 so I would thing an F150 would haul one. My biggest worry was being able to get it actually out of the water and up the ramp but it worked just fine.
                            -Jeff Buck
                            Message 14 of 19 , Mar 7 6:48 AM
                              My Ford F-150 is an older 1981 and I have a 351 V8 with carb and no fuel injection.  I pull a 30ft 6 horse capacity horse trailer with it too.  It is automatic.  In my truck year there was an inline 6 and it pulled equally well but with about 20mph lower top speed.  remember many school buses are 6 cyl.

                              Andrew

                              So the Ford F-150 has a V6 engine? I saw the barking system you describe on a Y-Tube video. Good idea.

                              > Yes Indeed.  I have a 240 on an EZ-Load trailer with extendable tongue and my old 1981 Ford F150 hauls it just fine.  I hardly know its back there.  The EZ-Load has the master cylinder in the hitch so you don't need to add trailer brake controles in your vehicle and it is mechanical not electric.. same thing U-HAUL uses.
                              >
                              > Andrew

                            • James Leghorn
                              Message 15 of 19 , Mar 7 8:10 PM
                                Do you know what your all up boat and trailer weight is?  I have an F150 extra cab V6 2 wheel drive with a 3:73 rear axle and towing package.  My rated tow weight is 5500#.  I towed a Reinell 2600 Sailboat with it and had no problems.  Had to put extra weight in the bed to get it up some ramps.  Used a 40 gallon pickle barrel filled with water so I didn't have to haul around the weight all the time.

                                Message 16 of 19 , Mar 7 8:38 PM
                                  my trailer is rated 5 ton gross i think,  i have a 5500# max toung so it is less than that. My pickup is 2wd with old std cab and automatic.  The EZ-Load has a tongue that extends 20ft so you don't have to back so far down a ramp to the water. I would guess my 240 weighs about 5000 or 2.5 tons fully loaded the keel is 1200 but I have added more interior weight, in batteries and water tanks and beefed up ribs.  I fill the water tanks after I am in the water.

                                  Remember the BUCC was calculated to carry a full load of passengers.. since I sail alone or with only 1 other.. I made room for extra water and stores instead.

                                  Andrew

                                  Message 17 of 19 , Mar 8 5:14 AM
                                    It's good to hear this info. If I can muster a trailer, I think I'll try towing with my Ford. I'll take Jim's advice and put weight in her. Around here most slips are short and rugged to the saltwater, so caution will be required. Andres,Arizona is too far for me to go for a trailer (3900 miles)..too bad, though. I think the 20 ft. tongue extension would be an excellent advantage.
                                    Message 18 of 19 , Mar 8 7:26 AM
                                      A trailer place can add an extendable tongue to most boat trailers.  I think the EZ-Load is a great trailer tho.  It is adjustable for most boats up to 26 feet.. i think one could squeeze a 27 on it tho.

                                      Andrew

                                      It's good to hear this info. If I can muster a trailer, I think I'll try towing with my Ford. I'll take Jim's advice and put weight in her. Around here most slips are short and rugged to the saltwater, so caution will be required. Andres,Arizona is too far for me to go for a trailer (3900 miles)..too bad, though. I think the 20 ft. tongue extension would be an excellent advantage.

                                    • John Obratil
                                      Message 19 of 19 , Mar 11 6:00 AM
                                      • 1 Attachment
                                      • 1.8 MB
                                      Here is the last trailer that I made from an existing trailer. It had two #5000 axles and 12" surge brakes.

                                      Jack