Re: Raising the Boom?

  • akinsbob@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 17, 2011
      --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "mrudman850" <mrudman850@...> wrote:

      > Happy New Year to all:
      >
      > I have a Bayline Buccaneer 180 and although I've installed a kicker, my boom is at a dangerous swing level. I can push it up with the kicker, but I'm wondering if the boom/mast connection is too low to begin with? Thanks.

      sounds as if your mainsail is not hoisting to the top or the mast is too short.....? Could also be the wrong mainsail.Need pic to see whats up.
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 17, 2011
        In every instructional video I have seen the mast is raised or lowered without the boom attached and the boom put in place after the mast is stayed.  Some people add a boom lift which attaches to the backstay and some add a topping lift.  I have added a cabin top traveler and my boom rests comfortably there.

        I posted a video recently about raising a typical mast.  Some people disagreed with it and said just walk it up, but my 240 mast is a bit heavy to do that without an A frame and if I have no one to hold it in place while i walk forward to attach the forestay.  Here are videos for the 3 common methods for most small boats about 22 feet.  I favor having an A-Frame to support it myself, so i don't slip and lose it off sideways and damage something while ny stays are slack.

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKjUi2h0mX8

        Part 1  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM8m-Orrspo&feature=fvst

        Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwCQ5mZcfXY&feature=fvst

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX9TRjBKCQ8

        Hope this helps someone,

        Andrew

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 17, 2011
          Kicker on a dinghy? You do know you can't 'push it up with the kicker' while sailing?

          If your mainsail is correct for the boat, the boom has to be where it is.
          Compare to the pic:
          http://sailboatdata.com/imagehelper.asp?FILE_id=3645
          or
          http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_ID=4872

          On such a small boat, it is far more common for the boom to be low enough to bop yer noggin when tacking, you learn to duck. Raising the boom higher means a) the mainsail will be either smaller or the mast must be taller, and b) the center of effort of the sailplan is effectively higher, making the boat more tippy. Neither are desirable. Small boats where the boom is high enough you can't get hit are as a general rule, poor performers.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 17, 2011
            Just an illustration -
            Photos of 2 boats, both have the same length mast.
            Note the boom height relative to the crew in the cockpit in both photos.
            The boat with the lower boom has a much larger mainsail.
            Guess which boat is faster and points higher? A LOT faster and points a LOT higher. Far more fun to sail.
            I sailed a Santana 20 (boat with sail number #900 in the first photo) for 15 years, and the lower boom height is seriously not a factor, you learn to keep the main under control and your head out of the way when tacking. It's part of sailing skill.

            http://www.wdschock.com/boats/santana20/images/s-20_photo4sm.jpg
            http://sailmagazine.com/sail-buyers-guide/CAT22sport.jpg
          • David A
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 18, 2011
              DUCK!!!
            • J Byrd
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 18, 2011

                My US18 boom only attaches in one place, and stays attached there whether the sail is attached or not.  I could not imagine it being any higher, and certainly no lower.  Is it a hazard?  Yes, but just as in every boat my passengers and I both have only been hit by it once.

              • mtboat1
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 18, 2011
                  My biggest problem is not the boom hitting me... but me hitting the boom. I walk into it too often.

                • bob.sparks@rocketmail.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 18, 2011
                    I almost always put a preventer on when I sail any where close to down wind. Its a short rope from the toe rail to the boom to keep the boom from swinging from side to side AKA an accidental jibe.

                    I have two carabiners to make it easy to attach and therefore I am more likely to use it.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 19, 2011
                      This is dangerous practice on a small responsive capsizable boat...

                      I do not rig preventers on anything under 35 feet or so, and then only when there's long distances to cover.

                      --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "bob.sparks@..." <bob.sparks@...> wrote:

                      > I almost always put a preventer on when I sail any where close to down wind. Its a short rope from the toe rail to the boom to keep the boom from swinging from side to side AKA an accidental jibe.
                      >
                      > I have two carabiners to make it easy to attach and therefore I am more likely to use it.
                      >
                      > --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "mrudman850" <mrudman850@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Happy New Year to all:
                      > >
                      > > I have a Bayline Buccaneer 180 and although I've installed a kicker, my boom is at a dangerous swing level. I can push it up with the kicker, but I'm wondering if the boom/mast connection is too low to begin with? Thanks.

                    • Morgan Reed
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 19, 2011
                        Phil,

                        I almost never disagree with Phil, but there are some ways to rig preventers on smaller boats that don't run a high capsize risk.

                        I've done it by setting the preventer "loose" and then used a bungie to snub it tight. The snub keeps it from getting momentum that would break parts, but I've left the preventer loose enough that the boom can actually swing back to nearly the centerline.

                        morganew