A New Buccaneer owner

  • ggraves199
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 5, 2011
      I have been looking for a project for some time and recently decided it should take the form of a sailboat. After much searching I found a 76 Bayliner Buccaneer that had been ravaged first by vandals then by Hurricane Katrina. (I said I wanted a project...OMG.)The hull needed some work to make it seaworthy but I am about done with that.I hope to sail it home in a couple of weeks and begin rehabbing the interior.
      The inside of the hull was originally covered in white carpet, not salvagable. any thoughts on what is my best shot to replace that carpet with?

      Also I have the standard interior layout with the larger V birth and the galley on the port side. does anyone have a ledgable diagram of that interior?

      Your thoughts?

      Greg
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 5, 2011
        Which size model do you have?

        I have the BUccaneer 240 or 24 footer.  It used to have gray carpet and I have removed a lot of it.  I am leaving the ceiling painted and  only carpeting the wall around the 2 bunk areas.

        I found the interior almost identical to most pickup campers and am trashing my camper to refit the boat.  Be sure any camper you use is plywood inside and no particle board  LOL  Coat the plywood and all exposed cabinetry with epoxy or marine/ext polyurethane.  I think mine will outlast me.

        My cabinets fit within 1 inch of the originals and the over cab bed fits neatly in my aft under cockpit bunk.  If you have a 24 I can tell you more of what I am doing.  I think I located and downloaded the owners manual for the 24... I will look.

        Regards,

        Andrew

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 5, 2011
          Andrew,

          Mine is the 240 also. I have found and downloaded the original owners manuel. I have just begun on a very long project but I am looking forward to the ride. I'll keep the camper idea in mind.

          Greg

          > Which size model do you have?
          >
          > I have the BUccaneer 240 or 24 footer.  It used to have gray carpet and I have removed a lot of it.  I am leaving the ceiling painted and  only carpeting the wall around the 2 bunk areas.
          >
          > I found the interior almost identical to most pickup campers and am trashing my camper to refit the boat.  Be sure any camper you use is plywood inside and no particle board  LOL  Coat the plywood and all exposed cabinetry with epoxy or marine/ext polyurethane.  I think mine will outlast me.
          >
          > My cabinets fit within 1 inch of the originals and the over cab bed fits neatly in my aft under cockpit bunk.  If you have a 24 I can tell you more of what I am doing.  I think I located and downloaded the owners manual for the 24... I will look.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Andrew

        • carlos_gaudin
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 5, 2011
            Hi, Greg!

            I have the exact same layout on my 240 as you. Look at my pictures in the photo section. It is "Toby's 240". You might get some ideas on what you can do. I bought this boat just as the pics show. The owner redid it beautifully. The sides and bulkheads are lined with actual wood panels. Floor is cheap linoleum tiles but they look great.

            It isn't the fastest boat, but has a huge amount of room for its size. My son and I have spent many weekends on the ICW here in Cocoa, Florida just hanging out. We even went out to the sea to do a lil fishing. It's not a great fishing platform, but it gets me to where the fish are! It's a quick trip since I'm moored only a mile and a half from the Canaveral inlet. My setup is humble, but I can come out any weekend and not spend a nickel on anything. I lucked into a nice mooring right off the 520 bridge in Cocoa, already set up to Waterway Authority specs, and I paid a guy $200 bucks for it... no slip or Marina fees. Sweeeet! Good luck on your build.

            Toby

            --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "ggraves199" <ggraves199@...> wrote:

            > I have been looking for a project for some time and recently decided it should take the form of a sailboat. After much searching I found a 76 Bayliner Buccaneer that had been ravaged first by vandals then by Hurricane Katrina. (I said I wanted a project...OMG.)The hull needed some work to make it seaworthy but I am about done with that.I hope to sail it home in a couple of weeks and begin rehabbing the interior.
            > The inside of the hull was originally covered in white carpet, not salvagable. any thoughts on what is my best shot to replace that carpet with?
            >
            > Also I have the standard interior layout with the larger V birth and the galley on the port side. does anyone have a ledgable diagram of that interior?
            >
            > Your thoughts?
            >
            > Greg

          • ggraves199
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 6, 2011
              Thanks Toby,

              I am inspired.I may come back to you with a few questions during the project, OK?

              Greg

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 6, 2011
                Most people remove it and remove the glue and just paint.
                Cleaner, cleanable, bright etc.
                But the hull liner fabric is nice and soft, quieter, and warmer.

                Here is one source:
                http://www.yourautotrim.com/huhfa.html

                --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "ggraves199" <ggraves199@...> wrote:

                > The inside of the hull was originally covered in white carpet, not salvagable. any thoughts on what is my best shot to replace that carpet with?
              • mtboat1
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 6, 2011
                  Wood is good. I have tongue and groove on the vertical walls.
                  Beneath the port windows, I installed horizontal 2 inch wide lathe strips.
                  All ceiling is going bare with paint, replacing the carpet in the v berth. Floor is wood with hatches to the bilge. So much left to do. Spent alot of time on cabinets/ galley. Had the basic structure and replaced the doors and drawers, and covered all new formica, with wood trim and moldings. A laminated,strip wood table, so...
                  If I ever get the cam dug out I will post the new interior photos.