Re: Buccaneer 240 abnormalities...

    Message 1 of 51 , Oct 9, 2010
      3/4" ply for bulkheads is awful heavy and totally unnecessary. Remember, on a sailboat every pound added slows the boat down and adversely affects its handling/sailing characteristics. Always remove weight whenever possible, not add it. (Plus lightening the boat allows more beer carrying capability!)

      Re the rigging, inspect it Carefully. Wire rigging does not last forever, even though in a freshwater environment it Can last 30 years, 10 years is considered the useful life, and more like 3 or 4 in saltwater. (I know, only hardcore racers with money will replace their rigging that often, but that's still the recommendation.) When inspecting, obviously you look for any broken strands in the wire and cracks or crevice corrosion in the wire and fittings, but look at the color of the stainless. If it getting 'brownish' it's aged out and on the verge of failure. This browning will not wash off, it is age discoloration of the stainless itself, and it easy to see the difference between that and just dirty.

      A pic of the mast step would be helpful. The mast butt block itself on many small boats like this have a wood block added to it. People did this when the rigging had stretched to the point they couldn't get it tight any more... Of course, that means the rigging is shot, and it's time to remove the block and get new rigging. It's not as expensive as you'd think.

      Thicker wire is completely unnecessary and again, adding more weight is undesirable, especially up the rig.

      A wheel on a 240, ROFLMAO.

      I too enjoy refurbishing. It's therapeutic!

      > It looks like the standing rigging is too long for them ast and looks like they added a wooden block under the mast to raise it...
      ... all fittings were replaced with galvanized and have to be cut off with a grinder now.

      > I do have a nice upgrade binnacle wheel helm but it takes up half of the cockpit  LOL
      >
      >... Only 2 of the 5 bulkhead panels remain.  they are 1/2 in plywood and I am upgrading to 3/4 and encapsulating with epoxy.  I am adding a support post for the mast also.. when I figure out the deck step thing.  I might put it back as designed and re-swage the upper ends  which just have loops over thimbles.  The stainless rigging other wise looks okay.. I am debating whether to upgrade to thicker cable.

    • Morgan Reed
      Message 51 of 51 , Oct 11, 2010
        Careful, or this list will end up being marked NSFW!!!

        Just kidding.

        Morgan Reed
        Executive Director
        Association for Competitive Technology