Buccaneer 240 abnormalities...

    Message 1 of 51 , Oct 9, 2010
      Hi Folks,

      Well I have started cleaning up and evaluating what I bought in my 240 and i see some abnormalities that i think were done by some previous owner.

      It looks like the standing rigging is too long for them ast and looks like they added a wooden block under the mast to raise it.  Most boats I have seen like Cataline 22 have the step flush with the deck with just a rubber spacer.  Anyone else here have a wooden block between mast step and the deck?

      I suspect they replaced the rigging from a slightly taller boat.

      The person was not knowledgeable... all fittings were replaced with galvanized and have to be cut off with a grinder now.

      I do have a nice upgrade binnacle wheel helm but it takes up half of the cockpit  LOL

      Some of the stanchions are broken and looks like the lifelines were replaced with ACE hardware poly covered wire rope clothesline.  It has held up pretty good and the stanchions broke before the cable.

      Most of the interior was gutted and all furnishings removed.  Only 2 of the 5 bulkhead panels remain.  they are 1/2 in plywood and I am upgrading to 3/4 and encapsulating with epoxy.  I am adding a support post for the mast also.. when I figure out the deck step thing.  I might put it back as designed and re-swage the upper ends  which just have loops over thimbles.  The stainless rigging other wise looks okay.. I am debating whether to upgrade to thicker cable.

      I have 2 or three surface cracks over the ply on the cockpit seats.  the ply is solit i used the icepick test we do with wooden boats to check for dry rot.  The boat has mostly been covered.  I will grind down the spots and do a glass repair and finish off with gellcoat.

      The front hatc was loose on its hings and when I looked the hinge pins are actually missing not broken.. I have no idea how that happened???  It is the tempered plate glass hatch.. very nice.

      The outer paint is good looks like a buffing will do it.. and the bottom is not bad but i will do a bottom coat.  This 240 has spent 3/4 of its life sitting on a trailer.

      I thot the handrails and all the trim was gone... apparently the owner was planning to paint it and removed it all and it was inside on the rear bunk   I need to make new dropboards.

      I am discovering as I go  LOL this is part of the joy of refurbishing.  Once I start different tasks I will try to add pics to my album.

      Regards,

      Andrew

    • Morgan Reed
      Message 51 of 51 , Oct 11, 2010
        Careful, or this list will end up being marked NSFW!!!

        Just kidding.

        Morgan Reed
        Executive Director
        Association for Competitive Technology