Re: extended ocean cruises

  • carlos_gaudin
    Message 1 of 51 , Sep 30, 2010
      Andrew;

      I will closely follow your very good advise. I'm daring, but I'm not ridiculously stupid. I'll get my sailing legs soon enough. The intracoastal is shallow enough that I am willing to experiment a little in crappy weather just to get a feel for how this tub handles in high winds. Then I'll venture out of the ICW and go up and down the coast till I'm sure I got it down. Then maybe head to the Keys if I get a long enough vacation. At 4 or 5 knots it ain't gonna be an afternoon's ride fer sure. Thanks

      > Florida and the Cays and islands close by are "easy peasy"  its where I first tried island hopping with a flat bottom home built plywood boat.  Here is what I know and how I started.
      >
      > FIRST if you are not good at sailing... take a class and learn the basics until you have them down pat.  You probably wouldn't buy a Cessna and decide to take your family up right?
      >
      > I knew the basics but wasn't sure how my sharpie would be.  In FL you have the ICW which is safe for even top heavy houseboats if you consider the weather.
      >
      > Until you are secure.. do not go out if the weather looks to turn bad.  if it turns bad when you are out head for shore.  If your too far out.. head farther out so you dont get driven on rocks or a shoal.  the boat will take care of you unless you hit something like a reef.  It will not easily turn turtle unless you have things loose in the cabin.. then if it rolls the stuff falls to the ceiling and the boat cannot right itself.
      >
      > In the Cays, Bahamas and Virgin Islands, you can often see your next island with binoculars which may be only a day or so apart.  Head out with the tide early morning and try to make next landfall by incoming tide and by dark.  Don't push the envelope.  This is called 'day-sailing'.  Its the way to start.
      >
      > In 1959, four of us boy scouts rode out a thunderstorm in the north Atlantic off of Portsmouth harbor in an open Grand Banks Dory 19 feet long with a lug sail and rocks in the bottom for ballast.  I was the youngest at 10 years and the oldest boy was 15.  We were about 5 miles out and the boat got us home safe and sound.
      >
      > The Buccaneer is close enough to a Dory Hull that I would trust it if the weight was made to stay down even if it rolls.
      >
      > My sharpie said it could only heel to 50 degrees before turning over.. yet i went about 10,000 miles with it.  i think a Buccaneer should right itself from 90 degrees if loaded properly and sailed with experience.
      >
      > I plan to put the lines and info into HULLFORM and see what the computer will tell me about the Buccaneer.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Andrew

    • Morgan Reed
      Message 51 of 51 , Oct 11, 2010
        Careful, or this list will end up being marked NSFW!!!

        Just kidding.

        Morgan Reed
        Executive Director
        Association for Competitive Technology