3677Re: First post: Hello

  • keith.vonderhulls
    Sep 16, 2013
      I posted a pic of the A-frame in my photo album.

      It's a fairly simple device. I built it using stuff I could find at Home Depot. I connect the two ends of the base of the frame to the boat via the brackets where the front side guide wires connect. I used door hinges with rounded corners and large cotter pins to give it something to pivot on.

      At the top of the frame I attached a loop to each leg at a point where they were close enough to get a cable ring through both.

      Then I connect the front guide wire of the mast to this ring. I needed to use a 6' extension, so the extension is actually connected to the ring and the front guide wire is connected to the extension. But the idea is that the mast is ultimately being raised or lowered by the front guide wire.

      From there, you just need to run a cable from the ring at the top of the frame to your winch. I used 14' 2x4s and I really don't even need a winch. I could pull it up fairly easily with just a pair of gloves. If I was to do it again, I'd use 12' boards. My winch is clamped to the door of my truck bed, so I don't want to put a lot of stress on it, but if I had a fancy front mounted winch, I'd use 10' boards. This is my second A-frame. I built the first with 8' boards. It didn't provide enough leverage.

      --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "keith.vonderhulls" <keith.vonderhulls@...> wrote:

      > I'll be taking the mast down here soon. My 10 consecutive days at the public marina are about up. I'll be sure to take some pics of the process. It's exactly the same as raising it, only in reverse.
      >
      > --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "charles" <adam56usa@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Welcome to the group Keith. The hin numbers on the transom will tell you what kind of boat you have. Post those numbers and we will let you know. Also on the title if you live in a title state. They will have the Hin numbers which will give you the year and model. If your boat looks like Chris's boat the you have a US 25.
      > > Once again welcome.
      > > Charlie.
      > > BTW, please post some photos of your rig for raising the mast.
      > >
      > > --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, Andres Espino <ima_very_cool_cowboy@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Welcome to the group!
      > > >
      > > > I have an older 240 instead of the 245 with the inboard diesel, so if the numbers are similar I would guess the 250 is without inboard and thre 255 is with one.  I bet Phil knows so maybe he will comment.  This new Yahoo is giving some of us Phil included FITS.
      > > >
      > > > Yes the Buccaneer transom sits high and  the previous owner constructed a motor well in the stern of my 240 to mount an OB in front of the rudder.  He said a motor on the transom did not bite the water enough to suite hil and often the prop was lifted clear by the swells.
      > > >
      > > > If I had the 245 with the Diesel inboard i would certainly fix it even tho it is costly.  They last almost the life of the boat.  On some old boats folks have replaced the integral prop shaft with pump with a new stuffing box and seals with shaft only and instead made another thru hull for water inlet and added a pump to the engine.  I like this arrangement better.  I dont know whether it has been done to a Buccaneer but I have seen this done to an Alberg 30.
      > > >
      > > > Prop shaft assemblies come in a range of sizes and are not a Bayliner part.  They used standard parts.  You should be able to get a replacement with ot without integral pump.  You are correct they are not necessarily a Volvo thing.  Volvo handles the engine and gearbox.
      > > >
      > > > I would gibe a cll to WEST Marine and talk to someone about the shaft and possible kit.  If they dont have it they will refer you.
      > > >
      > > > Andrew

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic