      From: PhilC <PandD_Collins@...>
      To: BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, March 29, 2013 12:12 PM
      Subject: [BaylinerBuccaneerGroup] Re: New Owner Pictures of Standing Rigging

      NO.
      You can't.
      That is not an option. That forestay is COMPLETELY shot!

      One broken strand on a shroud *might* be okay for a while (but the uppers are the more highly loaded, so I think not) but NOT the forestay.

      If the forestay goes, the mast falls aft - onto the cockpit.
      It may or may not damage the mast.
      It may or may not damage the mainsail.
      It may or may not hurt or even kill someone.

      If the upper shroud goes, the mast bends over sideways and usually buckles about halfway between the shrouds and the base.
      Time for new mast.
      Generally it tears up the mainsail too, often beyond repair.
      It may or may not do other collateral damage.

      Is it really worth the risk?

      --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "ranger50" <ranger50@...> wrote:

      > I could try to sail it as is.

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic