      From: "bob.sparks@..." <bob.sparks@...>
      To: BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, March 29, 2013 11:28 AM
      Subject: [BaylinerBuccaneerGroup] Re: New Owner Pictures of Standing Rigging

      Years ago all masts were stayed with rope. If you had rope the same breaking strength as the cable you could have two forestays one of rope and the original. But the one stay I would least likely want to lose is the forestay as the mast would fall towards the crew. So if you are like me and couldn't wait till you had new ones I am sure you could rig something as strong but ugly, temporarily.

      I would definitely not put to sea with what the picture shows.

      Look at the you tube videos of people using a gin pole to raise and lower the mast. You should not be intimidated by raising and lowering the mast. I know I was for years for no good reason.

      --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "ranger50" <ranger50@...> wrote:
      > Thanks Andrew, Phil, Charles, et. al.
      > (New member. Recently purchased and transported '82 US Yacht 25 to new
      > home).
      > I went to the slip today and removed all the bubble wrap protecting the
      > mast. Wanted to check out the rest of the standing rigging like you
      > mentioned.
      > Here is a picture of the forestay. Seems intact except for where it
      > nears the mast, it starts to unwind. It's not rusted. forestay
      > <http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/23878320/hr/869952044/name/boat+forestay.j Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (6)
      Recent Activity:

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic