3253Re: [BaylinerBuccaneerGroup] New Owner Pictures of Standing Rigging

    Mar 29, 2013
      Rigging these days is Stainless Steel and it doesnt rust like older galvanized wire rope.  Iy may tarnish slightly depending on the grade of stainless.  Fraying or strands coming unraveled near the fittings to me are a sign of previous excessive strain or that the swagging of those end fittings may have suffered internally.  Wire rigging rarely breaks somewhere in the middle.  Failure usually occurrs at or inside the swagged (crimped on) turnbuckles and eyes of the ends.

      It would no doubt survive a test sail or  light day sailing but really I would recommend you replace the whole lot.  As Phil mentioned it is something which gets done about onc e every 10 years anyway and chances are that rigging might even be original.

      From: ranger50 <ranger50@...>
      To: BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2013 9:43 PM
      Subject: [BaylinerBuccaneerGroup] New Owner Pictures of Standing Rigging

      Thanks Andrew, Phil, Charles, et. al.

      (New member.  Recently purchased and transported '82 US Yacht 25 to new home).

      I went to the slip today and removed all the bubble wrap protecting the mast.  Wanted to check out the rest of the standing rigging like you mentioned.

      Here is a picture of the forestay.  Seems intact except for where it nears the mast, it starts to unwind.  It's not rusted.  forestay

      I checked the rest of the rigging and all seemed good, no rust.  Perhaps a small bit of brown in spots possibly.  However, on one of the upper shrouds, found similar
      unraveling, about the level of the spreaders.  The other shrouds are intact and neat.  Here is that picture (both pictures in ranger50 album) upper shroud .

      I could try to sail it as is.  We would be sailing the Columbia river, gusty at times, lots of tacks trying to stay in the shipping lanes due to draft.  Dreams of crossing the graveyard of the pacific, reaching up to Straight of Juan de Fuca, and into Puget Sound....someday.  It could get us by until that day, if it ever comes.  I could also get a bigger boat by then.   We're quite inland, with minimal ability to haul boat out of water.  It might be a few years until the mast gets down again.

      Wife would kill me, but It wouldn't be all that hard to label and remove all existing standing rigging, hand deliver it to Seattle to replace.  Perhaps it would be one less thing to worry about.  Dont' mention going to Fastenal and doing all this myself.  I'm already taking on a lot by winging it.

      The only thing that bothers me is that I want to get that mast up in the worst way.  I am 200 miles inland from any reputable sailboat expert.  I'm pretty much on my own.  Don't want to get too much deeper than I already am.

      Did I make the decision already?  Remove the standing rigging and have it replaced?  It's only 6 or 8 SS wires, right?

      Thanks for letting me vent,

      Chris

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic