3251Re: New Owner Pictures of Standing Rigging
- Mar 29, 2013Hi Chris,
I replaced my back stay and the two upper shrouds for less than 300.00. There is a place in Miami, Florida called Sailing Services that ships all over the world. They did my cables. It's good that the mast is down and you're ables to see the breaks. I Would NOT sail it that way. You could loose the entire rig, including sails. What would that cost to replace? It would take less than two weeks to get the new cables. You have all summer to enjoy without having to worry if you replace them. Yesterday, I cleaned all if my other cables with water and stainless steel scrubs. Hopefully I will raise the mast today. I will post a photo of the rig I made to raise it. The winch cost me 16.00 on Craigslist and another 10 for the 2x4, eye bolts and u bolt.
I recommend you replace the cables now. Otherwise you will be asking where to get a mast and new sails. That would cost more than the boat.
--- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "ranger50" <ranger50@...> wrote:
> Thanks Andrew, Phil, Charles, et. al.
> (New member. Recently purchased and transported '82 US Yacht 25 to new
> I went to the slip today and removed all the bubble wrap protecting the
> mast. Wanted to check out the rest of the standing rigging like you
> Here is a picture of the forestay. Seems intact except for where it
> nears the mast, it starts to unwind. It's not rusted. forestay
> I checked the rest of the rigging and all seemed good, no rust. Perhaps
> a small bit of brown in spots possibly. However, on one of the upper
> shrouds, found similar
> unraveling, about the level of the spreaders. The other shrouds are
> intact and neat. Here is that picture (both pictures in ranger50 album)
> upper shroud
> ud.jpg> .
> I could try to sail it as is. We would be sailing the Columbia river,
> gusty at times, lots of tacks trying to stay in the shipping lanes due
> to draft. Dreams of crossing the graveyard of the pacific, reaching up
> to Straight of Juan de Fuca, and into Puget Sound....someday. It could
> get us by until that day, if it ever comes. I could also get a bigger
> boat by then. We're quite inland, with minimal ability to haul boat
> out of water. It might be a few years until the mast gets down again.
> Wife would kill me, but It wouldn't be all that hard to label and remove
> all existing standing rigging, hand deliver it to Seattle to replace.
> Perhaps it would be one less thing to worry about. Dont' mention going
> to Fastenal and doing all this myself. I'm already taking on a lot by
> winging it.
> The only thing that bothers me is that I want to get that mast up in the
> worst way. I am 200 miles inland from any reputable sailboat expert.
> I'm pretty much on my own. Don't want to get too much deeper than I
> already am.
> Did I make the decision already? Remove the standing rigging and have
> it replaced? It's only 6 or 8 SS wires, right?
> Thanks for letting me vent,
- << Previous post in topic Next post in topic >>