3234Re: New Owner

    Mar 26, 2013
      Hi Chris!

      You can indeed run the coax inside a small diameter plastic tube. Some mast extrusions even have a 'track' that is designed to hold a split tube. I'd go with the smallest size feasible.

      Raising the mast on the boat on the water... It is doable.
      Easiest would be if there is a dockside mast crane available. Pull alongside and raise the mast. You slide it aft and connect it to the mast base. Be sure the shrouds are connected correctly, check the spreaders etc, watch the turnbuckle toggles for twists, and hoist the mast. When it's up connect the forestay, which ever.

      If I were to do it on the water, I would use the primary winches. I'd get a couple of helpers, preferably those who are familiar with mast raising. First I'd make darn sure the jib halyard is really good. Not 'aged out' and ready to break under load. Make sure it's cleated off on the mast near the base (there's bound to be a cleat handy.) Then I would rig a block (need a good sturdy one) at eh bow, centered (and don't attach it to the pulpit, it's not sturdy enough) and use the halyard with a line added to it, run through the block and back to the winch. Have someone lift the mast up while someone else winches. After the initial lift, as high as you can, it shoud be possible to winch it up the rest of the way. Easiest is to keep lifting while the winch guy keeps winching. Really you can lift it without the winch, the winch is mostly for safety. The third guy is extra hands and needs to help keep the mast from swinging side to side while it goes up. EVeryone should try not to rock the boat...

      You could actually make an A-frame stabilizer ahead of time, handy to keep the mast from going side to side, but not strictly needed for this size mast. (Andres is just a wimp...)
      2 of us used to "hand up" a mast that size (actually 2 feet taller! I just checked) regularly.
      I was 6'-4 and and skinny (so not a muscle man) and he was gray haired and shortish (not a muscular dude either.) We did it 10-12 times a season to go to regattas and had no problems.
      The hardest part is the initial lift, up to 'over your head.' From there it is progressively easier.
      We would both lift it up to over our heads, and then alternate moving forward "walking it up" then when it was up, one would hold it while the other attached the forestay. We grunted, but we never strained a nut... Made the beer taste better.
      BUT - we always did this on the trailer, so the boat rocking was not an issue.

      --- In BaylinerBuccaneerGroup@yahoogroups.com, "ranger50" <ranger50@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > Chris from S.E. Washington State, on the Columbia River. It was so nice to finally find a website/forum devoted to the Bayliner boats.
      >
      > I am the most recent owner of Chinook, an '82 US Yacht 25', out of Seattle. She seems in good shape for her age, will post a picture of her in the photo section.
      >
      > She's in a slip, with the mast down presently. I'm figuring the best way to raise it, as well as contemplating running coaxial cable for future VH1. The halyards run inside the mast. Wondering if I would run into any problems running coax inside say 3/4 plastic conduit, as I've read about elsewhere. Also looking into where I could install the antenna, as the fore and aftstay lines go all the way to the top of the mast, not leaving much room for a side mount.
      >
      > Anyway, look forward to reading the other posts here and gleaning any info.
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Chris
      > budvar@ charter.net

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic