Lorrie's morels

  • Patrick Hamilton
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8 3:59 AM
      I forwarded to Connie Green the stuff about Lorrie's morels.  Connie sees more morels than just about anybody else in California and she called me this a.m. (at 0400!--we get up early) and we talked about this.  I'm off now but when I get to another computer later today or tomorrow I'll send her input.

    • debbie viess
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 8 8:46 AM
        Photo IDs are notoriously difficult, and bad photos even more so. David did look at them in hand, but none were cut in half. Some of those reddish and convoluted caps look pretty unmorel-like to me.

         Lorrie asked David to take a peek at them yesterday in a drive-by IDing in downtown SF (probably one of the first ever mushroom IDs performed by someone in a business suit!). Lorrie asked David to take a look because SHE was bothered by the ID of those mushrooms. MAYBE they're half-frees, or bohemica or even morels (it looked like a mixed collection to me). But I don't advise that anyone eat a maybe mushroom. And the photo bothered me enough that I wrote Lorrie privately about it, and said pretty much what everyone else did.

        Caution is good, and at best, half-frees aren't so much (good to eat, that is; flavor and texture, not toxicity). Nancy Smith Weber, the author of the original book of North American morels, calls the half-frees "the lowest of the members of the genus morchella" due to their tough stalks and watery taste.

        That's my two cents; err on the side of caution when collecting for the table.

        Deb