This weeks report from mid-peninsula hardwood forests...

  • Douglas Smith
    Message 1 of 40 , Apr 9 10:21 AM
      Not as dry as the time before, there were a few rains this
      week at least. This seems to have woken a few new species,
      but still not much up there. There are some late season
      Russula that seem to still be going, with the freshest best
      looking caps. But I might be stopping this survey of the
      preserve for the season. Maybe one more... and then the
      season for the Sierras should start I guess. Anyway, here
      is a list of what was found this week, on Sunday, April 6th:

      Cortinarius trivialis
      Hygrocybe punicea
      Inocybe sp.
      Laccaria laccata
      Mycena acicula
      Peziza arvernensis
      Russula basifurcata
      Russula silvicola
      Russula simillima
      Suillus caerulescens

      Notes:

      Best year ever for H. punicea, not sure why, lots of them out.

      The Inocybe sp. was the same as I found at the time last year,
      this looks to be a springtime Inocybe.

      R. basifurcata was a really fresh good cap, there were a bunch
      of these found in early Nov. and then they went away, and for
      some reason this one came back months later.

      R. silvicola was a good cap, but it might be R. paxilloides, then
      again they could be the same anyway.

      S. caerulescens is having the best year ever also... not sure why
      but these are still going strong, a bunch of new fresh caps here.

      And thats about it -

      Douglas

      Douglas A. Smith douglas@...
      Office: Bld ROB, Rm 204 (650)926-2369