Morels in eldorado

  • bean-n-bacon@att.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 28 8:35 PM
      Day two of the hunt took us up Hwy 88 met up with adam and some other BAMS members and cleaned up . Found 100 morels and the rest of the group did good also , found big giant puffs , another cali tuber and a small 2 oz. spring king . But at the end of the day i found another king . 7in.cap and 4 in. tall . sweet day . they are up go get them ,soil temp was 58 at noon . P....
    • Stephanie Jarvis
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 29 8:02 PM
        Great!
        When is the trip to PiPi?
        I found many Morels today, 4 out of 5 were FULL of bugs.
        Way too many for me to "rinse" or brine out.
        Cheers!

        Stephanie Jarvis

        On Apr 28, 2012, at 8:35 PM, "bean-n-bacon@..." <bean-n-bacon@...> wrote:

        > Day two of the hunt took us up Hwy 88 met up with adam and some other BAMS members and cleaned up . Found 100 morels and the rest of the group did good also , found big giant puffs , another cali tuber and a small 2 oz. spring king . But at the end of the day i found another king . 7in.cap and 4 in. tall . sweet day . they are up go get them ,soil temp was 58 at noon . P....
        >

        > TODAY(Beta) • Powered by Yahoo!
        > Ex-white supremacist sues over photos
        > Privacy Policy

      • udontnojak01
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 29 8:15 PM
          Yes it was quite the adventure up in PiPi valley. I got to the campground Friday afternoon around 4, and was greeted by the campground host with a picnic table covered in morels! A good omen indeed, a couple hours traipsing around camp and to the day use area provided a good haul of large fresh specimens. Most were of a rounded shape and lighter in color than the ones I had picked in years past. The next day teamed up with Peter + gang and Cynthia + gang for a regular morel hunting expedition! Visited some very promising burn territory on a north facing slope but no sign of those elusive little guys. I didn't have a thermometer but I suspect too cold and too high. Perhaps next week?

          Highlight of the trip was when Cooper, new to the sport, sat down with me and two others on a grassy clearing looking rather dejected after having a less than satisfying initial hunt. Along comes 10 year old Fletcher, proclaiming "there's some!" And proceeds to collect 3 meaty fresh specimens less than 2 feet from where Cooper was sitting! Elusive for sure! Cooper then decided that Fletcher had a height advantage and proceeded to army crawl through the bushes to have a better view. And presto! He found one! Like my grandfather always said, you can't catch a fish if you don't keep your line in the water!

          Happy hunting

          -Adam

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 29 9:35 PM
            That is a great story!!!

            Stephanie Jarvis

          • ulynch@sbcglobal.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 30 9:59 AM
              --- In BayAreaMushrooms@yahoogroups.com, "bean-n-bacon@..." <bean-n-bacon@...> wrote:

              > Day two of the hunt took us up Hwy 88 met up with adam and some other BAMS members and cleaned up . Found 100 morels and the rest of the group did good also , found big giant puffs , another cali tuber and a small 2 oz. spring king . But at the end of the day i found another king . 7in.cap and 4 in. tall . sweet day . they are up go get them ,soil temp was 58 at noon . P....

              Skunked in Nevada County along the Hwy 20 corridor. At 3900 ft, soil temp was about 53 deg. At 4400, it was about 48 deg. I did find the biggest yellow chantarelle I've ever seen (C formosus, probably?), though it was well past its expiration date.

              So, how does one go about finding recent logging activity?
            • MICHAEL SAMPSON
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 30 8:45 PM
                Went out for about three hours today in El Dorado County, elevation 5,000.  Picked 3.3 pounds of morels.  Also found Helvella lacunosa and Gyromitra.

                > Day two of the hunt took us up Hwy 88 met up with adam and some other BAMS members and cleaned up . Found 100 morels and the rest of the group did good also , found big giant puffs , another cali tuber and a small 2 oz. spring king . But at the end of the day i found another king . 7in.cap and 4 in. tall . sweet day . they are up go get them ,soil temp was 58 at noon . P....

                Skunked in Nevada County along the Hwy 20 corridor. At 3900 ft, soil temp was about 53 deg. At 4400, it was about 48 deg. I did find the biggest yellow chantarelle I've ever seen (C formosus, probably?), though it was well past its expiration date.

                So, how does one go about finding recent logging activity?

              • stephanie jarvis
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 30 8:58 PM
                  What condition were your morels in?
                  Were they super buggy?
                  The ones I found on Sunday, around 4300 ft. elev. were very buggy and spent.

                  Cheers,
                  SJ

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 30 9:05 PM
                    I found a few spent morels.  They are still in the woods.  I brought home fresh, moist, specimens with very few bugs.