Re: [BAMS] Need some advice on morel hunting in Eldorado

  • terry caudle
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 27 5:58 AM
      I found spring kings on Wednesday at 4000 ft, posted pics on MT

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 27 8:56 AM
        --- In BayAreaMushrooms@yahoogroups.com, terry caudle <terryc4113@...> wrote:

        > I found spring kings on Wednesday at 4000 ft, posted pics on MT

        What's MT?
      • Alan Rockefeller
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 27 4:11 PM
          I think it is still too early for spring kings, even in lower elevation
          areas.

          In 2011 the first find on mushroomobserver.org was May 24.
          In 2010 the first find was May 8
          In 2009 the first find was May 6
          In 2008 the first find was May 10
          In 2007 the first find was May 5

          Jenkinson lake and PiPi valley appear to be good early spots for these
          mushrooms. They come out a couple weeks later further north at Mt. Shasta.

          Morels will be mostly in logging areas, 3800 - 5000 feet. I usually find
          them around Calocedrus decurrens (incense cedar) or Abies (true firs).

        • carterjessop@att.net
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 27 4:55 PM
            I'd love to see the photos, but what is MT??

          • carterjessop@att.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 27 4:55 PM
              I'd love to see some photos, but what's MT??

            • Dave Lubertozzi
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 28 12:12 AM
                On 4/27/2012 4:11 PM, Alan Rockefeller wrote:
                > I think it is still too early for spring kings, even in lower elevation
                > areas.
                I thought and said so too, but over on BAMS Terry Caudle just reported he just got a few at 4k, and Jack
                Johnson posted this Jenkinson Lake pic today

                Not that they're correlated, but YNP finished plowing 120 yesterday, although it's not quite open for
                business yet - if they get it open this weekend, that'll tie the earliest opening in the last 20+ years
                http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm

              • George Riner
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 28 12:46 AM
                  "MT" is another Yahoo group email list. Its name stands for Mushroom Talk. It is an active group that is not based on any mushroom club. You can see it here:

                  :G

                • terry caudle
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 28 5:23 AM
                    mushroom talk

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 28 5:32 AM
                      they're out right now and have been for a week or so