Mushroom rteport for Thursday, July 6

  • Herman Brown
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2006
      After a few days of cooler weather, we decided to go up above Chester, to
      around 4800 ft, to check our Boletus appendiculatus spots and to recheck a
      Calvatia sculpta spot again. We brought our youngest granddaughter with us,
      as she is pretty good at spotting mushrooms, being closer to the ground, I
      guess.

      In short, it was a bit early for the boletes and a bit late for the C.
      sculpta.

      Right out of the car, at the first spot where we usually find dozens, we
      found only one small Boletus apendiculatus, and more searching only yielded
      one yellow amanita button, which my granddaughter found.

      I then decided to go to the puffball spot and soon saw a large, white, spiky
      ball off in the distance, When I got closer, I found one Calvatia sculpta
      puffball plus two more, but both of these were a bit too old for picking.

      On the way back to the main road, I saw another road that we had never been
      up, where the area around it looked similar to the first puffball spot. A
      short distance up the road, I soon saw one puffball on my right, in the
      middle of another, shorter logging road. Right out of the car, I found
      several small Boletus appendiculatus buttons, marked the spot, and continued
      on the quest.

      As I got closer to the puffball, I saw there were SEVERAL, but only two were
      worth picking. I tried to imagine what it must have looked like a few days
      ago, as there were large patches up to 5ft in diameter (the patch size, not
      the puffball). On the way back to the car, I found several more
      appendiculatus buttons, all about 1" in diameter.

      I enjoyed kicking the real old puffballs and spreading the spores with the
      light breeze.

      So we discovered a new puffball spot for next spring and a new butter bolete
      spot for early summer. I plan to recheck the buttons in about a week.

      Herman Brown
    • Philip Carpenter