Mushroom report for Saturday, June 2

  • Herman Brown
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2007
      I think the slight amount of rain we received up here recently in Greenville may have done some good.

      This morning I went back up to my local Spring King spot at about 4400 ft and found a few large ones. I had just checked a few days ago, so it was a pleasant surprise.

      Later, Cecelia and I went to a different spot at 4400 ft, farther from town, and did much better. At the first spot, we filled the basket with Spring Kings and a few Red-Capped Butter Boletes, the Boletus regius. If I had brought a bigger basket, I am sure we would have collected more kings. Cecelia spotted most of them as usual. I mainly removed and cleaned them for the basket.

      The spots we went to next (after transferring the boletes to a shopping bag) had mixed results, but when we got home, we had filled the shopping bag to the top with boletes.

      I saw lots of yellow amanitas and many yellow coral mushrooms during the day, plus a few red ones. We also saw some unidentified Hygrophorus.

      The smaller boletes will be cooked tonight, and most of the large ones are already in the dryer. I ran out of room, so I will have to finish drying them tomorrow. Darn!

      And most were worm-free.

      The season still continues!

      Herman