Re: Questions

  • raindevil13
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 6, 2013
      I thank you for taking the time to write about each of my questions. I am still not understanding the answer to 2. With your answer the Initiative can sway back and forth, which makes no sense to me. Unless your point is that there is only one place where Initiative is used on a Mission. I read the rules from bt_rules_clan.pdf (downloaded from Sarna.net), and I see that page 26 and 27 explain Initiative; however, my question concerns the moment when the 'One Player Goes First'.
      On page 27 of the rules and at the bottom is the area that states the person who lost Initiative goes first. My question now is, can Jump be used here to gain Intiative (not to win Initiative, but to gain the ability to use a Mission card)?
      You are correct in that many different effects can change the Initiative of a Mission for both players, I am just wondering if after this point, where the solution of who goes first, can Initiative still be used?
      Example, I have a Falcon that has Jump (Tactics is not in play for attacking player and defending player has Tactics in play). I attack a Slow 'Mech and there is no 'Mech to block the Mission. Can I concede Initiative (playing to lose Initiative) at this point, and then later use Jump to play a Mission Card like 'Fire from Partial Cover'?

      Fire From Partial Cover
      Play only if you lost initiative.
      Prevent up to 2 damage to each of your Units.

      -raindevil

      -- In BattleTech-CCG@yahoogroups.com, "CJSIXER" <cjsixer@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > 7.) No. Anti-missle can only be used to reduce the missle damage for a missle that targets a mech. It can be the mech with anti-missle or any other mech in that group. Anti-missle systems are a short range defensive measure that would not be able to target the high flying missles that are arced over the defenders to hit the stockpile.
      >
      > I believe that my answers are correct but if I have missed something I am sure one of the other members will clarify the answer. Good luck.
      >
      > --- In BattleTech-CCG@yahoogroups.com, "raindevil13" <tj_laporte@> wrote:
      > >
      > > 1. Where in the rules does an enhancement/pilot get noted as a site? Have heard that they become a site but I do not see the writing word in the rules.
      > >
      > > 2. If a 'Mech has Jump and is attacking (Asset 'T' not in play for attacking player), can the the player attacking concede and lose Initiative, but use the Jump capability later to gain Initiative and play a Mission card during battle?
      > >
      > > 3. If a sole 'Mech is guarding the stockpile, can 'Forged Mission Orders' remove the guarding 'Mech from blocking (Untap the guarding/blocking 'Mech) and then the attacking player has a clear shot at the Stockpile? Just wondering if this Mission card is only against patrolling Units that may block a Mission. Also, in essence, is a guarding 'Mech regarded as a blocking 'Mech (See Glossary).
      > >
      > > 4. bt_players_guide.pdf (file found on sarna.net) on page 6 states:
      > >
      > > Command Cards
      > >
      > > Abilities
      > > * During a mission or battle, if you play an ability that can only be played under certain conditions, the effect will apply even if the condition ceases to be true.
      > >
      > > Does this ability of Command Cards hold true for 'Assault on the Rear Echelon'?
      > >
      > > 5. Single Combat -- {T}: Choose one of your 'Mechs and one 'Mech an
      > > opponent controls. Tap these 'Mechs and engage them in
      > > battle. Treat this battle as if it occurred during a
      > > mission, but Mission cards may not be played. If that
      > > opponent controls no Clan or Kurita cards, he or she
      > > may avoid this battle by untapping your 'Mech. Use
      > > this ability only during your Missions phase, but not
      > > during a mission.
      > >
      > > A 'Mech attacks the stockpile and was not blocked, but is now tapped. Can this tapped 'Mech be used for Single Combat with an opposing 'Mech that is not tapped?
      > >
      > > 6. During the Deploy phase, after creating a pilot or an enhancement, does a deployment need to be used in order to place a pilot on a 'Mech, or an enhancement on a Unit? Reassigning Pilots seems to only be the case when a Pilot is already in a 'Mech, or is the point where a player may reassign pilots negating the need for a deployment to then assign a pilot during the reassign pilot phase. Also, I see the fact that many enhancements have an additional deployment, and so I wonder if this additional deployment is to be used for placing the enhancement on a Unit.

    • raindevil13
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 6, 2013
        In your answer to 6, you say "...and if it is a pilot or enhancement then it is assigned to...".

        My question is that if I do not have a 'Mech to put my newly created Pilot on, or a Unit to place the enhancement on, will the cards that are placed in my Command Post now a site(s)? Another player said yes, and I am trying to find the writing to state that they do become sites.

        From the bt_rules_clan.pdf, I found the following:
        pg 15, "Each Command card in your Command Post is a site, and each card you have under construction is a site. Activated Units are never sites; neither are Enhancements or Pilots - even though they're Command cards, they're only played on other cards."

        pg 24 states the same thing again under, 'Sending Units on a Mission'.

> [...]

        > > this ability only during your Missions phase, but not
        > > during a mission.
        > >
        > > A 'Mech attacks the stockpile and was not blocked, but is now tapped. Can this tapped 'Mech be used for Single Combat with an opposing 'Mech that is not tapped?
        > >
        > > 6. During the Deploy phase, after creating a pilot or an enhancement, does a deployment need to be used in order to place a pilot on a 'Mech, or an enhancement on a Unit? Reassigning Pilots seems to only be the case when a Pilot is already in a 'Mech, or is the point where a player may reassign pilots negating the need for a deployment to then assign a pilot during the reassign pilot phase. Also, I see the fact that many enhancements have an additional deployment, and so I wonder if this additional deployment is to be used for placing the enhancement on a Unit.

      • raindevil13
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 6, 2013

          Example, I am an attacking player and I have 2 Anvil Revised 'Mechs that are untapped. It is the beginning of my Missions phase and I reveal a fully constructed 'Assault on the Rear Echelon'.

          Card Title: Assault on the Rear Echelon
          Card Type: Command
          Cost: 2+4T
          Arm/Str/Att: (n/a)
          Card Text: Scrap this card when it is revealed.
          For the rest of this turn, after each mission, deplete
          all patrolling Units that blocked the mission
          Artist: Doug Chaffee
          Rarity: Rare

          The defending player knows at this point that they bear the chance of having a depleted 'Mech if they block.

          First Mission, tap both Anvil Revised 'Mechs and select a Slow 'Mech for the target. For the sake of a loosing defending player and to help this example, the defending player blocks with 3 Moderate 'Mechs.

          Initiative to help this example is won by Marik, and the defending player goes first by assigning damage and all.

          Now my question, Marik plays Blitzkrieg:

          Card Title: Blitzkrieg
          Card Type: Mission - Inner Sphere - Marik
          Card Text: Play only when attacking.
          Remove all patrolling Units from the battle and untap
          them.
          Artist: Colin MacNeil
          Rarity: Rare

          From the text that is written for 'Assault on the Rear Echelon', "For the rest of this turn, after each mission, deplete all patrolling Units that blocked the mission.", can/will the text from Blitzkrieg change to, "Remove all patrolling Units from the battle and deplete them."?

          Will 'Blitzkrieg' deny the effect of 'Assault on the Rear Echelon' because the 'Mechs are untapped and shall not deplete, or will the initial effect of 'Assault on the Rear Echelon' make those blocking 'Mechs deplete?

> [...]

          > > this ability only during your Missions phase, but not
          > > during a mission.
          > >
          > > A 'Mech attacks the stockpile and was not blocked, but is now tapped. Can this tapped 'Mech be used for Single Combat with an opposing 'Mech that is not tapped?
          > >
          > > 6. During the Deploy phase, after creating a pilot or an enhancement, does a deployment need to be used in order to place a pilot on a 'Mech, or an enhancement on a Unit? Reassigning Pilots seems to only be the case when a Pilot is already in a 'Mech, or is the point where a player may reassign pilots negating the need for a deployment to then assign a pilot during the reassign pilot phase. Also, I see the fact that many enhancements have an additional deployment, and so I wonder if this additional deployment is to be used for placing the enhancement on a Unit.

        • Vic Polites
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 7, 2013
            #2) As I understand it, initiative can change.
            So if you start out losing, but perform a Jump or Mission card (if you were losing 1-to-2, let's say) that increases your Init, you immediately stop declaring stuff as the loser and the other player takes over as the winner.

            #6) If you cannot place the pilot or enhancement somewhere, why did you activate it? :)
            I don't think it ever came up in a game I played, but I want to say it'll get discarded.

            #4) If they are removed from the battle, then they never blocked. They will not be depleted after the mission is over (when Assault would normally kick in).

            Cheers.
            -VIC

                Posted by: "raindevil13" tj_laporte@... raindevil13

            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 8, 2013
              Hello,

              I enjoy the post do not have much time to play anything ATM. Who knows, eventually.

              Rain here are some answers:

              If a comand card is fully constructed and not revealed or has no legal place it is in essence still a CUC. Meaning it takes 2 to 1 damage to remove counters and is destroyed when your opponent does 1 more damage than zero. You can still place resources on it to keep it alive. The only thing damage does is reveal the CUC if there is not enough damage to kill it. If it says scrap when revealed it dies with having no effect.
              1. Where in the rules does an enhancement/pilot get noted as a site? Have heard that they become a site but I do not see the writing word in the rules.

              Yes, you can lose initiative at the start of a battle. Once finalized and play starts Jump for initiative to play a mission card.
              The initial initive only determines the order of damage, missions, options. The losing player would do all of their actions first.

              2. If a 'Mech has Jump and is attacking (Asset 'T' not in play for attacking player), can the the player attacking concede and lose Initiative, but use the Jump capability later to gain Initiative and play a Mission card during battle?

              Yes it untaps ANY BLOCKING MECH that is in battle. Patroling or guarding.

              3. If a sole 'Mech is guarding the stockpile, can 'Forged Mission Orders' remove the guarding 'Mech from blocking (Untap the guarding/blocking 'Mech) and then the attacking player has a clear shot at the Stockpile? Just wondering if this Mission card is only against patrolling Units that may block a Mission. Also, in essence, is a guarding 'Mech regarded as a blocking 'Mech (See Glossary).

              I'll have to look up assault on rear echelon. SOLIDER WHERE ARE YOU MOUTH OF THE SOUTH? U played this on me last time. And it sucked too.
              4. bt_players_guide.pdf (file found on sarna.net) on page 6 states:

              Command Cards

              Abilities
              * During a mission or battle, if you play an ability that can only be played under certain conditions, the effect will apply even if the condition ceases to be true.

              Does this ability of Command Cards hold true for 'Assault on the Rear Echelon'?

              Yes you can use single combat on a tapped mech, it was ruled legal. So, your opponent can decline the combat and actually untap your mech for you that had already been tapped. As an incentive to do that for me I love having a Pilot that destroys units on the mech.

              5. Single Combat -- {T}: Choose one of your 'Mechs and one 'Mech an
              opponent controls. Tap these 'Mechs and engage them in
              battle. Treat this battle as if it occurred during a
              mission, but Mission cards may not be played. If that
              opponent controls no Clan or Kurita cards, he or she
              may avoid this battle by untapping your 'Mech. Use
              this ability only during your Missions phase, but not
              during a mission.

              No, the card just has to be paid for and have a legal target to be placed on. See #1 for no legal target. Pilots may be moved during this phase NOT enhancements. Enhancements deploy revealed to give you an incentive to play them.

              6. During the Deploy phase, after creating a pilot or an enhancement, does a deployment need to be used in order to place a pilot on a 'Mech, or an enhancement on a Unit? Reassigning Pilots seems to only be the case when a Pilot is already in a 'Mech, or is the point where a player may reassign pilots negating the need for a deployment to then assign a pilot during the reassign pilot phase. Also, I see the fact that many enhancements have an additional deployment, and so I wonder if this additional deployment is to be used for placing the enhancement on a Unit.

              -raindevil

              Regards,

              Knight's-End
              ... And the dawn breaks

              P.S. I am still looking for a few cards to complete some IRL decks if anyone is interested...
            • CJSIXER
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 10, 2013
                To answer your questions:

                Yes, the initiative can change in the middle of a mission. Jump can always be used to play a mission card. However if this also causes the player to gain the initiative then they become the winner of the initiative and they stop declaring their actions and the other player starts delcaring. This could go back and forth several times during the mission if both sides have mechs with Jump or have mission cards that also give an intiative bonus.

                In response to your question about Attack on the Rear Echelon and Blitzkrieg I am less clear. Here is my opinion. Attack on the Rear Echelon says nothing about whether or not a mech must be tapped for it to become depleted. It just says that it had to block. That said I feel that by the Blizkrieg mission card removing the mechs from the battle means that they would no longer be considered blocking. That is the stance I would take if I was playing in a game and someone tried to use that combo on me.

                That said if there was some other card that untapped the blockers at the end of the battle but still included them in the combat then I would say that even though they were untapped by the end of the battle they would still deplete as a result of Attack on the Rear Echelon.

              • Chester Hendrix
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 25, 2015
                  Well.... I've heard back from about 5 of you that you don't like my 'giant type', and haven't heard from anybody that they DID like it, so that means more work. *sigh* I will change them all...

                  Other question-

                  (1/4) Will you have a TAG Retrofit card incorporated in your deck?
                  Interesting - I hadn't thought about Retrofit cards for things like TAG, or Stealth - sorry.

                  (2) Please note that on the set 'Diamond Shark-2.jpeg' that the following 'Mech (Protomech) is not noted as being under Diamond Shark:

                  'Minotaur Protomech Point'

                  This apparently happened to a couple of cards. It's no big thing. These files were simply meant to get you all the cards and group them by faction so you might have a better idea on which cards to vote on for favorites.

                  (3) Please note that on the set 'Generic Clan-2.jpeg' that the following Battle Armor does not have the Mass noted, as follows:

                  'Gnome Elemntal Point' - I am pointing this out because 'Attack Battle Armor' has a Mass of 5 tons.

                  I see it. I think I'll leave it as is - just consider it a 'pre-Commander' formatted card. ;-) [less work for me]

                  (5) Should the following card be noted as ATM 6, or ATM 1? 'Night Gyr E'

                  Had to look that one up. Decided to give it a bonus because it has SRM 6 as well. This is one of those 'audible' situations - and you'll find more than one. I asked about some of these and will pass the explanation for inconsistencies on to you all here [the example given just deals with Long-Range'. The principle remains the same for just about every system] :

                  'Cardverter says:
                  Leak/Trample/If blocked... etc
                  To get the 'Leak' (a term I use for the 'If blocked, mech may direct X damage to original target) ability your mech should have long range weapons, or just one long range weapon if there are almost no other weapons. There are three ways to count the leak value.
                  1. Count all the Long Range weapons on your mech and for each such weapon you get one 'Leak' value. This Value may not be higher than half total attack value though.
                  2. Count all Long Range weapons of the same type, ignoring others, and get one 'Leak' for each weapon of that type carried. 3 Gauss Rifles would thus give you Leak three but the ERLL would be ignored in the total.
                  3. Or simply note that the mech carries one or more Long Range weapons and give it a Leak of one.'

                  So, as you see some Units having differences in systems from others, try to relax and go with it. ;-)

                  (6) Please note that the attachment 'Comstar-2,jpeg.dat' just needs to be saved to the desktop and re-titled as 'Comstar-2.jpeg'.
                  fixed it, thanks.

                  (7) Great work. Never new a Spanish Dancer could annihilate anything with such ease ... that thing is a MONSTER!!!!

                  Little background on THE SPANISH DANCER. Back in the day when I was playing BT with minis I came across one of the BATTLEDROID Marauders. All the BATTLEDROID minis were much larger than the the BT scale minis that came after, so this thing was huge. Fast forward a couple years and I created a MECH CONSTRUCTION MATRIX [before computer programs]. As I was creating the matrix, I found I had inadvertently gone past 100 tons. Didn't know I could do that! Suddenly I had a way to make my massive minis fit into the game. I called them SEIGE MECHS and they went up to 130 tons.

                  So I ran the stats for my 130 Marauder. It wound up doing something like 50-60 points of damage with a kick attack [if you were dumb enough to let me catch you]. So I named it THE SPANISH DANCER - too much fun! Back then I also understood the Cardverter and TSD was the first card I walked through and created [I believe the original artwork is still somewhere here in the files section].

                  Interesting that I've seen the BT universe recently embrace 100+ ton Mechs. It's good to see things vindicated. ;-)

                  (8) One last question (actually two at this time), Will you have a unit like the Spector (SPR-5F)? [even giving it Stealth/Masc]. Or, a unit like Spartan (SPT-N2)?

                  Nope. Part of the reason I [finally] stopped making units was two-fold. I was running out of decent art and the entire set was just getting too big. I've been working on this for nearly a year and have produced over 700 individual original cards. The original game only had around 1450 cards [and that includes multiple versions like revised or Commanders Edition versions]. If I didn't stop now, there'd be no end. A hard choice [as there were a number I wanted to make but just couldn't find any art for], but the sheer size of what I've created has turned out to cost much more than I anticipated. I had to stop somewhere or folks just wouldn't be able to afford everything [like me, and I started this thing].

                  Sorry.

                  Your Buddy, Chester
                • raindevil13
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 25, 2015

                    Chester,

                    I thank you for the quick reply.

                    You have a keen sense of this game and I appreciate all that you have done to complete such a task.

                    I like your story about 'The Spanish Dancer', and makes me think that if you are going to make more cards that you make a group of cards that would be your Clan or Inner Sphere affiliation of Units, Command, & Mission cards.  Again, you have a great sense of the game and I believe that no one could falter you for doing as such (creating your own).

                    Siege 'Mechs would be devastating!

                    I understand all your remarks and input that are in your reply.  I am cool with things, and I know that others would be, too.

                    Keep up the great work.

                    -raindevil

                  • Michael Cohen
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 25, 2015

                      You can't really retrofit stealth I think, but TAG would be cool.

                      On Jun 25, 2015 9:33 AM, "Chester Hendrix cehendrix@... [BattleTech-CCG]" <BattleTech-CCG@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
[...]

                      ------------------------------------
                      Posted by: Chester Hendrix <cehendrix@...>

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                          BattleTech-CCG-digest@yahoogroups.com
                          BattleTech-CCG-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    • traz1955
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 26, 2015
                        Glad you enjoyed the story of the SPANISH DANCER - I was way ahead of my time.   ;-)   In the BT TECH READOUT 3145 they now have a 'Super Heavy Class' or 'Colossus Class' of 100+ ton mechs. They are extremely rare and any one that might show up would be labelled Unique also. The buyouts would be as insane as the DANCER as would the stats I'm Sure. The only pic I've ever seen of a Colossus Class is the ARES on the cover of the BT READOUT 3145.

                        But it is cool to have a window from the past on the future that you can hold in your hand that I made back in the day..   ;-)

                        Chester
                      • Terry Laporte
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 30, 2015
                          Holding that card shows all the hard work you have accomplished for this game and yourself.

                          Great stuff

                          Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 3, 2015
                            Considering Stealth - on BT:CCG cards, such as Victor (VTR-10L) - is this ability only when you are the defending player?

                            There is a note on www.sarna.net which makes me question how this works on the card.  Is the note only for miniatures?  (note location: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Stealth_Armor)

                            The Guardian ECM Suite mounted on the unit does not function with the armor activated, but the 'Mech suffers as if it were in an ECM field. With the Armor disabled, the ECM will function normally.Stealth Armor

                          • Chester Hendrix
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 3, 2015
                              Rain-

                              The miniature game [full game as I like to call it] has nuances, complexities and interactions that just don't translate into the CCG which fights to distill all this information into a CCG format.

                              Just the presence of so many Mechs with NO armor alone sends many folks running for the hills. ;-)

                              I get your point, but there are only about a dozen units which got Stealth and I don't recall if there were any who got ECM also. I REALLY don't see the point in introducing a rule that would require the Mech to choose between one or the other.

                              Though I *will* admit it is an interesting factoid. ;-)

                              Chester
                            • Michael Cohen
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 3, 2015

                                Oh, so you can't use Stealth and ECM at the same time?

                                On Jul 3, 2015 2:14 AM, "tj_laporte@... [BattleTech-CCG]" <BattleTech-CCG@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                Considering Stealth - on BT:CCG cards, such as Victor (VTR-10L) - is this ability only when you are the defending player?

                                There is a note on www.sarna.net which makes me question how this works on the card.  Is the note only for miniatures?  (note location: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Stealth_Armor)

                                The Guardian ECM Suite mounted on the unit does not function with the armor activated, but the 'Mech suffers as if it were in an ECM field. With the Armor disabled, the ECM will function normally.Stealth Armor
                                Stealth Armor
                                Developed in 3063 by the Capellan Confederation[1], Stealth Armor is a modern day equivalent of the Star League era Null Signature System.
                                Preview by Yahoo

                              • Terry Laporte

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 6, 2015
                                      based on Chester's rewording of Stealth, it would apply, much like ECM,
                                      whether the Stealthed Mech is attacking not defending.
                                      Think of it as the Stealthed mech being able to get around on the
                                      battlefield in such a way as to gain advantage.

                                      On 7/6/2015 5:14 AM, Terry Laporte tj_laporte@... [BattleTech-CCG]
                                      wrote:

                                      > Concerning the point made about ECM and Stealth being used at the same
                                      > time, I would imagine if you are the soul person guarding the
                                      > stockpile with the Victor (even one 'Mech is considered a group from
                                      > my understanding in the game) that ECM and Stealth would work; so, if
                                      > three 'Mechs attack the stockpile, those three 'attacking 'Mechs would
                                      > get -1 attack against the Victor, and have to attack over 1 more slot
                                      > of armor (per the ECM). Good defensive skill, if I am correct about
                                      > how ECM works. Just that when you are attacking the opponent's
                                      > stockpile, or other available target, you are unable to use Stealth.
                                      >
                                      > Thank you,
                                      > Terry
                                      >

                                      > On Friday, July 3, 2015 1:14 PM, "Michael Cohen mcohen2@...
                                      > [BattleTech-CCG]" <BattleTech-CCG@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                      >

                                      > Oh, so you can't use Stealth and ECM at the same time?
                                      > On Jul 3, 2015 2:14 AM, "tj_laporte@...
                                      > <mailto:tj_laporte@...> [BattleTech-CCG]"
                                      > <BattleTech-CCG@yahoogroups.com
                                      > <mailto:BattleTech-CCG@yahoogroups.com>> wrote:
                                      >

                                      > Considering Stealth - on BT:CCG cards, such as Victor (VTR-10L) -
                                      > is this ability only when you are the defending player?
                                      >
                                      > There is a note on www.sarna.net <http://www.sarna.net/> which
                                      > makes me question how this works on the card. Is the note only
                                      > for miniatures? (note location:
                                      > http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Stealth_Armor)
                                      >
                                      > /The Guardian ECM Suite mounted on the unit does not function with
                                      > the armor activated, but the 'Mech suffers as if it were in an ECM
                                      > field. With the Armor disabled, the ECM will function
                                      > normally/.^Stealth Armor
                                      > <http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Stealth_Armor#cite_note-tw142-6>
                                      > ^
                                      > ^^
                                      > ^^
                                      > ^
                                      > ^image <http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Stealth_Armor#cite_note-tw142-6>
                                      > ^ ^^
                                      > ^
                                      > ^
                                      > ^Stealth Armor
                                      > <http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Stealth_Armor#cite_note-tw142-6>
                                      > ^Developed in 3063 by the Capellan Confederation[1], Stealth Armor
                                      > is a modern day equivalent of the Star League era Null Signature
                                      > System.
                                      > ^
                                      > ^
                                      > ^ ^^