Re: [BatAdvoGroup] How often?

  • Leslie Sturges
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
      The year I ended up with dozens, I started putting their formula in little bowls of contact lens cass and holding their little noses over the formula. That way I could feed them 2 at a time. They hated syring feeding, but really took to lapping. From there, I put the 'dishes' in the crate and they would feed themselves. It was an unholy mess, but I could never have hand fed each one. I used the intermediate diet, but they got really really messy, so there were lots of baths. They did take a while to transition to getting their own mealworms, but they do everything twice as fast as BBs, so it wasn't too bad.

      On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 11:37 PM, Kathy Estes <kestes@...> wrote:

      Oh, they've got fur and eyes open, so I'm going to sleep tonight!!!  Thanks!
      Kathy

      On 7/31/2011 9:19 PM, Laura Hohman wrote:

      Possibly? My memory is fuzzy because I didn't get any LBBs this year. I think fur and eyes open puts them past teeny weenie.

      Laura

      On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 9:40 AM, Kathy Estes <kestes@...> wrote:

      Hi Laura -
      Is a LBB teeny weenie if it has hair?   BTW, I love these guys too - I've never raised the little ones.
      Kathy

      On 7/30/2011 9:04 PM, Laura Hohman wrote:

      I base it on how much they eat at at time. I start out with an every 3 hour schedule and then slowly move up as it takes longer for their belly to empty. For the record, unless their very teeny weenie (pardon my highly technical terminology), you can skip a feeding overnight.

      I raised LBBs last summer. Loved them!

      Laura Hohman
      Bloomington, IN

      On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 9:56 PM, Kathy Estes <kestes@...> wrote:

      That's what I was afraid of - I've been doing the 4 hour deal for a week now, and was hoping it would end soon.  I guess I'll have to wean them as soon as I can!
      Kathy

      On 7/30/2011 7:03 PM, Carol wrote:

      My experience isn't with lbbs, but I haven't heard of one species being different from another with regard to feeding schedules. Every four hours is the standard feeding schedule for pups on formula, then when they're eating some solids, you can go to every six hours. You really have to use their tummies as your guide, so it's difficult to give you a hard and fast schedule.

      Carol

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jul 30, 2011, at 7:17 PM, Kathy Estes <kestes@...> wrote:

      > How often are people feeding little brown babies? And what is the time
      > when they can go to less often?
      > Kathy Estes
      > Colorado

    • Carol B.
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
        What a VERY clever solution to your feeding issues!  You are a highly creative problem solver.  I would never have come up with such an idea.

        Carol

        --- On Mon, 8/1/11, Leslie Sturges <lsturges@...> wrote:
        The year I ended up with dozens, I started putting their formula in little bowls of contact lens cass and holding their little noses over the formula. That way I could feed them 2 at a time. They hated syring feeding, but really took to lapping. From there, I put the 'dishes' in the crate and they would feed themselves. It was an unholy mess, but I could never have hand fed each one. I used the intermediate diet, but they got really really messy, so there were lots of baths. They did take a while to transition to getting their own mealworms, but they do everything twice as fast as BBs, so it wasn't too bad.

      • Kathy Estes

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
            Yeah--that's why I now do the two-at-a-time until they get good at it. It wasn't my idea though. Amanda came up with it. She also uses tacky plastic shelf liner under the dishes so they leave some food behind on the tack and less on themselves. I used damp foam rubber which also helped. Luckily LBBs do everything in super fast speed so it wasn't too long before they were outside flying and feeding themselves.

            Do you find they just communicate by yelling? I've had them scream their heads off at me while sitting on the mesh waiting for mealworms. I decided the incessant screeching is just normal conversation for them.

             I'm glad you got to start with a small group.