Re: [BatAdvoGroup] Ideas???

  • Michelle Whitfield
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 21, 2013
      Thank you!!!!

      Michelle Whitfield
      Animis Foundation
      A Non-Profit Sanctuary Dedicated to the Rescue, Rehabilitation & Care of Wildlife & Domestic Animals
      Ocala, FL

      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 21, 2013
        I was able to get some Oxbow Carnivore Care from WildCare, and the bat LOVES it!  She ate it eagerly!

        Carol

        On Jun 21, 2013, at 9:55 AM, Leslie Sturges <lsturges@...> wrote:

        Can you get Emeraid Carnivore care? It's not as high in sugars as vital and might giver her more of a nutritional coost. You also might want to add clindamycin to your drugs. Clind and baytril act together to provide extremely broad spectrum coverage. If I remember what the vet told me correctly, clind is better on anaerobes and baytril gets the rest.

        Other than that, just time, fluids, and food...

        Leslie

        On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Carol B. <ceb_57@...> wrote:

        The sick red bat keeps going up and down as far as her health is concerned.  I see slight improvements, but she never seems to get over being ill.  Her symptoms are just sort of a general malaise--nothing specific.  Her coloring isn't good, she soils herself, and she isn't eating.  I thought of rabies (and it's still a possibility), but she's not showing any overt central nervous system issues.  Her coordination seems just fine, and yesterday, her eyes were bright.

        The bat WILL accept Vital, but I wonder how long it will keep her going.  Last night, she ate a couple of mealworms, but she hasn't accepted any since.  She doesn't even seem interested in the viscera.

        Last evening, the bat seemed energetic, was grooming, and that was when she ate the two mealworms.

        I've been administering Baytril SQ daily.

        Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

        Carol

        --
        Leslie Sturges
        President
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 21, 2013
          That's what we usually feed our adult bats. They do seen to love it!

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Carol B. <ceb_57@...<mailto:ceb_57@...>> wrote:

[...]

          www.saveLucytheBat.org<http://www.saveLucytheBat.org>
        • Antonia Gardner
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 22, 2013
            You had mentioned how nasty the Clindamycin liquid tastes. We compound many of our medications here, which saves us money and helps us to be more flexible in our concentrations. We usually compound Clindamycin into 100 mg/ml liquid, but you could try one 150 mg capsule in 6 ml liquid (maybe 2 ml water and 4 ml Karo). You could also substitute 2 ml of Karo for Grenadine, which would make it more palatable.

            Antonia Gardner, DVM
            Staff Veterinarian, Intern/Extern Program Coordinator
            South Florida Wildlife Center
            agardner@...
            t 954-524-2926 f 954-524-2679
            Visit us at our Facebook page!
            South Florida Wildlife Center
            3200 S.W. 4th Avenue Fort Lauderdale, FL 33315
            wildlifecarecenter.org, hsus.org
            Join Our Email List Facebook Twitter

[...]

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Carol B
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 22, 2013
              I'll save this. It might make a difference!

              Carol

              On Jun 22, 2013, at 6:39 PM, Antonia Gardner <agardner@...> wrote:

              > You had mentioned how nasty the Clindamycin liquid tastes. We compound many of our medications here, which saves us money and helps us to be more flexible in our concentrations. We usually compound Clindamycin into 100 mg/ml liquid, but you could try one 150 mg capsule in 6 ml liquid (maybe 2 ml water and 4 ml Karo). You could also substitute 2 ml of Karo for Grenadine, which would make it more palatable.
              >
              > Antonia Gardner, DVM
              > Staff Veterinarian, Intern/Extern Program Coordinator
              > South Florida Wildlife Center
              > agardner@...
              > t 954-524-2926 f 954-524-2679
              > Visit us at our Facebook page!
              > South Florida Wildlife Center
              > 3200 S.W. 4th Avenue Fort Lauderdale, FL 33315
              > wildlifecarecenter.org, hsus.org
              > Join Our Email List Facebook Twitter

            • Karen Scheuermann

                Can you get Emeraid Carnivore care? It's not as high in sugars as vital and might giver her more of a nutritional coost. You also might want to add clindamycin to your drugs. Clind and baytril act together to provide extremely broad spectrum coverage. If I remember what the vet told me correctly, clind is better on anaerobes and baytril gets the rest.

                Other than that, just time, fluids, and food...

                Leslie

                --
                Leslie SturgesPresidentThe Save Lucy Campaignhttp://www.savelucythebat.org/

                --
                Leslie Sturges
                President
                The Save Lucy Campaign
                www.saveLucytheBat.org

                --
                Karen Scheuermann, Wildlife Rehabilitation Permit holder, Tehama Wild Care, Cottonwood, CA
                karens2020@..., 530-347-1687