Re: [BatAdvoGroup] Myotis velifer (cave myotis) [1 Attachment]

  • Carol B.
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2013
      Just as an aside, the cave myotis's forearms aren't always this bright a pink color.  If we had some way to gauge the bat's size, we might be able to determine whether it's a tricolor bat or a cave myotis.  The cave myotis is a very LARGE myotis and is quite a bit bigger than a tricolored bat.  They also have a reputation for being grumpy bats.

      Carol

      --- On Mon, 4/1/13, Carol B. <ceb_57@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Carol B. included below]

      Here's a photo (NOT mine) of a cave myotis.  This shows the forearms well.  I've only had two in care.  One was released, and the other died of his injuries.

      Carol

      --- On Mon, 4/1/13, Leslie Sturges <lsturges@...> wrote:

      Here's a link to a great shot of the pink forearms by Justin Boyles, a bat researcher involved in WNS stuff. http://www.flickriver.com/photos/jboyles/3469105946/

      Tricoloreds are getting hammered along with little browns and northern long ears.

      I have three here, so I'm quite familiar with the species. There are a bunch of pics on the Save Lucy facebook page

      Leslie

      _,___

      Attachment(s) from Carol B.

      1 of 1 Photo(s)

    • Leslie Sturges
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2013
        They are very similar to tricolored in coloring, but that is a big myotis according to the species accounts! When I present my species ID section of the workshop,I show all the things that need to be measured on a bat and forearm is the first!

        Leslie

        --
        Leslie Sturges
        President