Hoary with possible hernia

  • corkyseph
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2013
      Not sure how to tell. Need to go to vet, but I think I have a hoary with a hernia.  She came into care Christmas eve but I left Christmas day for 6 days. She was so dehydrated and thin that I didn't expect her to survive.

      I think she was weak and was knocked from a tree during a heavy storm. Unfortunately she fell into a dog run and the dog got her. She has a bad wing membrane tear along her body and the fot on the opposite side doesn't grip.

      When I got back, not only was she alive but she eats like a champ. Prior to eating, her abdomen looked normal,  at least nothing really stood out but after I fed her I noticed an odd raised area about the size of a pea on the side with the bad foot. Now that I've noticed it, I see it even when she isn't full.

      She also is the calmest hoary I've ever met. She is very alert,  but not particularly active.

      Corky
      Corky "Mary Jean" Quirk
      www.norcalbats.org
      Sacramento Valley, CA
    • Leslie Sturges
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2013
        I would check for stones. We've had 2 hoarys block, one a female and one a male. Neither showed symptoms until they were totally blocked and the bladder was palpable. The most recent one had stones clearly visible on film. They were brushite stones, which my vet thinks arose because of nutritional hyperparathyroidism. I also think any dehydration bout predisposes them to stones. You can try a urine dipstick to see if you get blood if you can't get films right away, but in any event, please let your vet know that it's a possibility and it's an emergency. A female has a better chance of surviving than a male because you really can't catheterize them, unless Dr. Cottrell as a brilliant idea how to do it! I have cleared female big browns with fluids, stonebuster tea, and ABs, but it's not always successful. I sincerely hope it's a hernia because those are repairable!

        Leslie

        --
        Leslie Sturges
        President
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2013
          Happy to say the hoary did have a hernia, which was surgically repaired today. The pea sized lump was part of her intestine which would protrude through the hernia then retract back. The vet used stitches that do not dissolve nor does she plan to remove them. Is that normal and can an animal with permanent stitches be released?

          The tear along her body is old and completely healed. To repair it, the vet would need to abrade it and stitch it. Its not wing membrane but actually the thicker area near the body.  Its a huge hole which makes me wonder if that is why she was so dehydrated and emaciated. She fell from a tree during a storm. I have no idea how she survived the tear and healing.

          Corky
          Corky "Mary Jean" Quirk
          www.norcalbats.org
          Sacramento Valley, CA

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2013

            I had knee surgery in college when my fraternity played the tri delta sorority in flag football  I was tackled  and dislocated my knee. It was supposed to be flag football they thought de-pants  football was better. Also in high school I had a hernia and they used permanent stiches on that. So I guess it common to maintain support over a long period of time. I’ve never had a problem of either one.  Unless there is some other problem I’d think he should be able to be released.  I guess hoary’s are rather common in Tulsa I’ve had 4 Hoary’s and 4 little browns next to big browns and reds it’s my 3 most common bat here in rehab. Unfortunately they all died most like from damn cats. I really want to get a growth curve on one.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2013
              great news! I imagine if she can fly, she can be released, but I would ask te vet if she can support a pregnancy with those sutures in...

              Leslie

              On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 1:07 AM, corkyseph <CorkySeph@...> wrote:

              --
              Leslie Sturges
              President
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 4, 2013
                You've had little browns?  The only Myotis I've ever gotten is a cave Myotis, Myotis velifer.  I've never seen a little brown in Oklahoma.  Their range just doesn't cover my part of the state.

                Carol

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 4, 2013

                  Yea I was thinking there might be a large roost somewhere but there from all over town.  Doing a profile on them for my book I’m using data from a lot of sources but a main one is natureserve.org started from the Nature Conservancy http://www.natureserve.org/explorer/servlet/NatureServe?searchName=Myotis+lucifugus+ If you look at the map hit the “open all” button at the top you’ll see they have it listed as endangered. This is just from their scientist and their population calculations. I called them about it and they said no one has reported them in Oklahoma for a number of years so they listed it as endangered doesn’t have any government status.

                  I expect to get a couple a year. Very chatty bat like the evening bat. I wonder if they speak sugar glider because my sugar gliders sure do a lot of chirping when I get noisy bats like they are talking back and forth saying “hay you guys always get all the mealworms. You got any over there?”

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 5, 2013
                    Wow, poor girl. How is her weak foot doing?

                    Cindy Myers
                    Fallbrook CA
                    Project Wildlife - bat team

                    http://www.ProjectWildlife.org