Silver-Haired Bat (advice)

  • Kris Harmer
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
      It's interesting, an adult female Silver-Haired Bat I am rehabbing turns upside down to urinate/defecate –with her head up- and then hangs upside down again afterwards. That is the only type of bat (I think I've heard that before on this list?) that does that. I just love this SH bat – she was hiding underneath a (new) leaf yesterday with just her nose out, happy as can be! She went to another area in the cage overnight (like she usually does - in a gap btwn the top of the cage & shelf-liner material) – but she ended up under the same exact leaf this morning as before -peaking out looking at me. She is eating really well and is chunky, but one strange thing, she will NOT drink water from a syringe. Her hydration seems really good though - and I have several waters hanging in her cage, so maybe she is drinking from those. Are there any Silver-Haired rehabbers out there that can give some insight? Her only issue is that she has a small (pencil-eraser sized) hole in her wing that I'm letting heal over the winter and I don't plan on letting her hibernate at all.

      Kris Harmer
      Certified Wildlife Rehabilitator (IWRC)
      State (MDC) and Federal (USF&W) permits
      Member NWRA, IWRC, OWRA, Bat World, Bat Conservation Intl
      Kansas City, Missouri
    • Carol B.
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
        Most of the crevice dwelling species turn upside down to urinate and defecate.  The only species that I know of that don't are the Lasiurines.

        My guess would be that she's drinking from the water dishes you have in the cage, so I wouldn't worry about that unless she begins to show indications of dehydration.

        Your silver-haired is personable?

        Carol

        --- On Tue, 11/1/11, Kris Harmer <KHarmer@...> wrote:

[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            BatAdvoGroup-digest@yahoogroups.com
            BatAdvoGroup-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Leslie Sturges
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
          I've had several extremely personable silver hairs. They can be very funny and they will make up their own games and interactions. This summer we had Norbert who decided he absolutely could not feed himself. He would fly to a particular spot and if we didn't walk over and feed him, he would fly onto us or fly into whomever we were feeding at the moment. He would stomp around amongst the red bat juvies and bump them out of the way. Once he figured out how to feed himself I had to release him. I cried like a little baby as he flew off.

          Leslie

          --
          Leslie Sturges
          President

        • Carol B.
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
            I'm impressed (and jealous) that you get to deal with so many different species!  I've had exactly ONE silver-haired in ten years--and I only had her from afternoon till dark.  She was just roosting in a bad spot, so I simply removed her from that site and released her that night.

            I guess I can't really judge the species personality on my one experience.  She was wild and, of course, terrified.

            Carol

            --- On Tue, 11/1/11, Leslie Sturges <lsturges@...> wrote:
            I've had several extremely personable silver hairs. They can be very funny and they will make up their own games and interactions. This summer we had Norbert who decided he absolutely could not feed himself. He would fly to a particular spot and if we didn't walk over and feed him, he would fly onto us or fly into whomever we were feeding at the moment. He would stomp around amongst the red bat juvies and bump them out of the way. Once he figured out how to feed himself I had to release him. I cried like a little baby as he flew off.

            Leslie
          • Radar
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
              Click Me!
              I've never had a bat that didn't turn around to urinate I'd worry if they didn't since they would get it all over them. I worry a little when they don't hang in the past it showed something was keeping them from hanging neuological or ear problem etc. But  both  crevice and foresters live under leaves I've received both out of peoples gutters when they scared them out when cleaning them. The big browns I've had rarely drink from the serenge sence I don't see them going to the water (they could when I don't see them) I assume they get all the liquids they need from the mealworms.  If he stays most of the time on the bottom besure to clean him at every feeding since he will get waist on him. I've also had them do that when they are cold or they need a place to hide (hang more sheets) they'd get under the sheet. Soon as I put up a heat lamp and turned the blanket up a little they started to hang again. I find foresters use the lamp more than the crevice dwellers. All of my crevice dwellers will go to the opposite side of the cage where the blank and lamp is located guess it's too worm for them I've had red bat act like they are sun bathing in front of the lamp.

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
                Click Me!
                I think my email had a hiccup lets try again

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
                  I've never seen a red bat or a hoary turn upside down.  Insteadf, they do the pee-pee stretch.

                  Carol

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011

                    That’s so interesting & thanks everyone - (and I love the pee-pee stretch Carol) – I’ve seen Hoarys do that too & I think they only get a mouthful if they don’t do the “stretch.”

                    I thought that Silver Hairs were foliage bats – but I now see that they prefer tree bark, so that makes sense that they might be a little of both.  It seems as though my average for receiving October Silver Hairs is about one a year here in KC. This one has gotten used to me pretty fast & is easy to work with – the other one I had did the same thing as Leslie’s Norbert –he would also steal everyone else’s worms.  This girl seems to have taken to me and I’m really charmed by her.

                    Radar – I have the same experience w/ the foliage bats – almost always under the lamp.

                    Kris

                    IMPORTANT NOTICE! This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution of this electronic information and/or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this email message in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete the electronic message and any attachments.

                  • Carol B.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011
                        Click Me!
                        Ah stretched ok they hang from the roof instead of the walls so yea there still angled down otherwise it would roll all over them. The wall guys have to turn around. My tricolored bats hang both on the roof and side I haven't noticed them going yet so don't know what they do the walls are covered so guess they turn around. The membrane problem bat is eating again but the cage mate isn't had to sq him twice don't know what his problem is. He's going to starve himself to death. He was 8 grams now under 6. The other one is smaller at 5.8 he was 5.0but he's gaining 0.2-.3 a day so doing better of course he's missing the wt of 1/2 a wing. Hmm wonder of the wing sample ever got tested.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 1, 2011

                          That is the funniest visual - a bigger bat stomping and throwing his weight around amongst smaller red juvies. And doing the "pee pee stretch" to boot!  :-)

                          Cindy Myers
                          Fallbrook CA

                          home.earthlink.net/~cmsquare
                          ^..^