Mike "Eddie" Heydon

  • Rex Hamann
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2010
      Just returned from a motor trip through
      eastern Iowa, Indiana, Michigan and
      over the Mackinac Bridge and finally back home
      to east-central Minnesota, having left June 19.

      During the trip my wife and I were able to locate
      the graves of the following players (in order), each of whom had
      major league experience but also played in the American
      Association.

      1. Vive Lindaman at Charles City, Iowa
      2. William Joseph Wagner at Waterloo, Iowa
      3. Art Reinhart at Ackley, Iowa
      4. Hal Trosky at Norway, Iowa
      5. Al Van Camp at Davenport, Iowa
      6. Al Epperly at Davenport, Iowa
      7. George Stovall, Burlington, Iowa
      8. Michael Edward "Eddie" (or Mike) Heydon
      at Indianapolis, Indiana

      The most interesting finding was Heydon's grave
      stone which identifies him at Marion Heydon. Holy
      Cross cemetery verifies this is the correct Mike Heydon;
      born 1874, died in 1913. Additionally, I have not
      yet determined the exact location of his birthplace which
      is listed in all customary sources as (only) Missouri. Heydon
      was highly thought of as a catcher and was quite popular
      with Indianapolis fans during his seasons with the American
      Association's Indians (1902-04).

      All photos will be downloaded to my DeviantArt.com website
      and I will post here after I have done so.

      Rex Hamann
      14201 Crosstown Blvd. NW
      Andover, Minnesota    55304-3311

      HOME OF THE AMERICAN ASSOCIATION ALMANAC...
      ...a baseball history journal covering the period 1902-52

      Be sure to visit my baseball history websites at:
      http://www.aaalmanac.com/
      http://www.theoldaa.wordpress.com/
      http://www.almanacpark.blogspot.com/
      http://www.lostengraving.deviantart.com/gallery/

      Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.
      Ralph Waldo Emerson

      ...and go brewers!!