Frederick Ivor-Campbell, 73, SABR Historian, Killed In Auto Accident

  • Bill Schenley
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2009
      Noted baseball historian dies in crash
      Ivor-Campbell was a scholar of game's history

      http://www.eastbayri.com/detail/130412.html

      FROM: East Bay RI.com ~
      By Rob Merwin

      BRISTOL

      A two-car, head-on crash claimed the life of Bristol
      resident and noted baseball historian Frederick
      Ivor-Campbell, 73, on Interstate 195 in Fairhaven,
      Mass., on Friday afternoon, July 24.

      Mr. Ivor-Campbell was pronounced dead at the scene
      after his eastbound 2007 Toyota Corolla was struck by
      an SUV driven by a 52-year-old Charlestown man,
      Charles Jones, who crossed the median from the
      westbound lane, according to reports.
      Mr. Ivor-Campbell's passenger and wife, Alma
      Campbell, 72, was transported to St. Luke's Hospital
      in New Bedford with serious injuries. Mr. Jones was
      taken to St. Luke's Hospital with minor injuries.
      Massachusetts State Police are investigating the crash.

      "It is with great sadness that we report the death of the
      baseball historian Frederick Ivor-Campbell," wrote
      sports writer Mark Lamster, founder of YFSF.org, a blog
      site for Yankee and Red Sox fans. "He was a kind man
      and a serious scholar of the game. His death is a loss to
      all those who care about the sport."

      A baseball enthusiast, Mr. Ivor-Campbell was a member
      of the Society for American Baseball Research (SABR),
      an international organization based in Ohio that fosters
      the study of baseball and documentation of its history.
      He received its most prized distinction, the Bob Davids
      Award, in 2003.

      Other writers on various Internet message boards expressed
      sadness when they heard of the news, and many noted
      Mr. Ivor-Campbell's dedication to the game.

      "The baseball history world is shocked to learn of the death
      of one of its notable historians," noted one writer. "He has
      been a source of inspiration for me in my research and
      encouraging me in my pursuit of my various research projects."

      Mr. Ivor-Campbell had written for numerous SABR
      publications, as well as Total Baseball and the Biographical
      Dictionary of American Sports, and served in several
      administrative capacities for the organization.

      In a 1997 Bristol Phoenix interview, Mr. Ivor-Campbell said
      he made annual pilgrimages to Cooperstown, N.Y., for research
      at the Baseball Hall of Fame.

      "My interest goes as far back as the 1800s, the beginning of the
      game," he said. "I'm still an avid fan - I love to get out to a
      game."