Sadakazu Uyenishi in action

  • lone_wolf_92001
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2009
      http://www.bartitsu.org/index.php/2009/07/sadakazu-uyenishi-in-action/

      Amazing what modern technology can accomplish ... although this GIF actually dates from the year 2000. E-budo poster John Lindsay animated (or re-animated) a series of 24 film frames originally used as photographic illustrations in Sadakazu Uyenishi's 1905 "Text-book of Jujutsu". This is probably some of, if not the earliest motion picture footage of a Japanese martial artist in action.

      Quite startling to see a Bartitsu Club instructor actually moving! Perhaps a similar process could be applied to other Bartitsu-related images.

      Cheers,

      Tony
    • will thomas
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2009
        I am so impressed.  It looks great, Tony.  I'm trying to recall which old jiu-jitsu book I have where the photos look like filmstrip. It may certainly be possible to turn it into an animated film.
        -Will

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2009
          Hi Will,

          both Uyenishi's "Textbook" and William Garrud's "Complete Jujitsuan" used photographs taken from film footage as illustrations.

          Re-animating these old clips would make a good project for the Bartitsu Society.  We've also seen simple animations based on B-W's Pearson's Magazine pictures, but I'm wondering whether modern technology might make it possible to do a more realistic job on them.

          Do we have anyone on board who is familiar with animation?

          Cheers,

          Tony

          To: Bartitsu_Forum@yahoogroups.com
          From: baritsumaster@...
          Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 08:19:31 -0700
          Subject: Re: [Bartitsu_Forum] Sadakazu Uyenishi in action

          I am so impressed.  It looks great, Tony.  I'm trying to recall which old jiu-jitsu book I have where the photos look like filmstrip. It may certainly be possible to turn it into an animated film.
          -Will

          Amazing what modern technology can accomplish ... although this GIF actually dates from the year 2000. E-budo poster John Lindsay animated (or re-animated) a series of 24 film frames originally used as photographic illustrations in Sadakazu Uyenishi's 1905 "Text-book of Jujutsu". This is probably some of, if not the earliest motion picture footage of a Japanese martial artist in action.

          Quite startling to see a Bartitsu Club instructor actually moving! Perhaps a similar process could be applied to other Bartitsu-related images.

          Cheers,

          Tony

          MSN NZ Travel Find a way to cure that travel bug
        • Emelyne Godfrey
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 6, 2009

            Hello list members,

            I thought I would give a quick update on a conference paper I gave at the university of hull on Saturday.  I’m testing out speech recognition on my computer so some of the typing might seem a bit crazy! The paper was for the conference called ‘Arthur Conan Doyle and Sherlock Holmes: their cultural Afterlives’.  There were probably around 50 people at the event.  As there were two panels at the same time there will probably around 25 people at my talk.  The audience was great; you could tell that they really liked the photographs of Tony and Rob and Keith of the Royal Armouries, Leeds.  ‘Self-defence with an overcoat’ also got lots of smiles!  Some of the delegates said afterwards that it was the first time that they had heard of Bartitsu so had learnt something knew!

            Emy

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 6, 2009
              Excellent, Em. I'm glad things went so well.
              -Will

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 6, 2009
                Hi Emy,

                thanks for the report, and congratulations!

                Cheers,

                Tony

                To: Bartitsu_Forum@yahoogroups.com
                From: emelynegodfrey@...
                Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 13:08:06 +0000

                Hello list members,

                I thought I would give a quick update on a conference paper I gave at the university of hull on Saturday.  I’m testing out speech recognition on my computer so some of the typing might seem a bit crazy! The paper was for the conference called ‘Arthur Conan Doyle and Sherlock Holmes: their cultural Afterlives’.  There were probably around 50 people at the event.  As there were two panels at the same time there will probably around 25 people at my talk.  The audience was great; you could tell that they really liked the photographs of Tony and Rob and Keith of the Royal Armouries, Leeds.  ‘Self-defence with an overcoat’ also got lots of smiles!  Some of the delegates said afterwards that it was the first time that they had heard of Bartitsu so had learnt something knew!

                Emy

                Check on MSN NZ Money for a hand Feeling the financial pinch?