Modern cane defence on YouTube

  • lone_wolf_92001
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2007
    • Joshua Morale
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2007

        > No comment on the practicality of some of this material, but it
        may be
        > of interest.
        >
        > Tony
        >My two cents :

        After watching those videos the first one had a few good
        techniques ,the guys from cold steel take it seriously enough to do
        a good S-D
        cane program.Also the Emil Farkas technique demonstrated is straight
        out of the canon so a small blurb but good.The one using the hooked
        cane was very impractical as most of those are "special
        situations" ,
        a few came from behind and were more attacks than self defense.As
        far
        as the hapkido and ninjitsu techniques I seriously question the
        practicality,I'm not really a grappler and as a general rule I
        greatly
        dislike being pinned to the floor and sure as hell am not going to
        passively defend my self from the ground struggles/chokes,its awfuly
        hard to effectively work your stick while mounted on someone who is
        really trying to get up and smashing you with the unaddressed left
        hand
        in the last video.just my opinion.Having a background in FMA I may
        be a
        little biased but I perfer to have most of my cane stick work be of
        striking nature with a few levering/throwing tech. perfering to
        strike
        from a mounted position with a punyo/butt strike or shaft strike-but
        thats just me. Josh