Re: bare-knuckle guard.

  • Fencing is Fun
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 27, 2012

      Thanks for the link, Roberto.

      My own background is fencing (principally classical sword) and (aiki) ju jutsu.

      I'd suggest that the major element to add to your own background for Bartitsu is cane fencing - and there is a native Italian tradition similar to the French tradition incorporated into Bartitsu.

      If you're interested, I can dig out contact details for the Italian cane teacher I've worked with.

      Cheers,
            Gordon

      FiF - Over 1700 children given their first fencing lesson
      As seen on BBC One Scotland

    • gallowglassacad@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 27, 2012
        Welcome to Bartitsu.

        You posted a very interesting article.

        It looks like you have a good basis to start a Bartitsu study group[.

        I am sure others will tell you the best thing to do is buy the two
        Bartitsu volumes edited by Tony Wolf. this will give you the
        information we have aobut what Barton-Wright was teaching in 1900
        London.

        Good luck,

        Allen

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 27, 2012
          Ciao Roberto,

          Towards setting up your own Bartitsu club, please see this article - http://www.bartitsu.org/index.php/bartitsu-today/modern-bartitsu-clubs-and-training/ .

          Please feel free to ask any questions or to offer any comments.

          Tony

          --- In Bartitsu_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "rmunter63" <r.munter1963@...> wrote:

          > Hi to all,
          > I am Roberto Munter, and I live in South Tyrol, Italy. I'm a big fan of history and martial arts, and I accidentally found your website. I'm very impressed and excited by your interesting project... Great!
          > I found an interesting article on the old "bare-knuckle" guard and, I hope, will be useful to fans of Bartitsu:
          >
          > http://dandjurdjevic.blogspot.it/2008/08/karate-kamae-or-guard.html
          >
          > I would like to open a "Bartitsu-Club" in my region. What should I do?
          >
          > This is my curriculum in the martial arts:
          > 3°dan in Wadoryu ju-jitsu kempo
          > 3°dan in Shindo Yoshin Ryu Jujitsu
          >
          > I also practiced other methods, for the purpose of study (and fun!) like: Savate, Boxe and Krav-Maga.
          >
          > Thx in advance for any answers.
          > Best,
          > Roberto.

        • rmunter63
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 27, 2012
            Thanks for the tips. I will buy the two "Compendium" and the DVD.
            At this time, I'm translating (from English to Italian) the two articles of the legendary Burton-Wright and, in short, I will make them available on the forum.
            I am currently studying (and experimenting) the old bare-knuckle boxing, using various books and videos.
            Hey, everything is great... There is a whole world to discover!

            :-)

            Best,
            Roberto.

            --- In Bartitsu_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "lone_wolf_92001" <lone_wolf_9@...> wrote:

            > Ciao Roberto,

            > Towards setting up your own Bartitsu club, please see this article - http://www.bartitsu.org/index.php/bartitsu-today/modern-bartitsu-clubs-and-training/ .
            >
            > Please feel free to ask any questions or to offer any comments.
            >
            > Tony
            >
            > --- In Bartitsu_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "rmunter63" <r.munter1963@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi to all,
            > > I am Roberto Munter, and I live in South Tyrol, Italy. I'm a big fan of history and martial arts, and I accidentally found your website. I'm very impressed and excited by your interesting project... Great!
            > > I found an interesting article on the old "bare-knuckle" guard and, I hope, will be useful to fans of Bartitsu:
            > >
            > > http://dandjurdjevic.blogspot.it/2008/08/karate-kamae-or-guard.html
            > >
            > > I would like to open a "Bartitsu-Club" in my region. What should I do?
            > >
            > > This is my curriculum in the martial arts:
            > > 3°dan in Wadoryu ju-jitsu kempo
            > > 3°dan in Shindo Yoshin Ryu Jujitsu
            > >
            > > I also practiced other methods, for the purpose of study (and fun!) like: Savate, Boxe and Krav-Maga.
            > >
            > > Thx in advance for any answers.
            > > Best,
            > > Roberto.

          • lone_wolf_92001
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 27, 2012
              To some extent, Bartitsu revivalism is based on continuing the cross-training experiment that Barton-Wright began in 1899 and basically abandoned in 1902. The articles and supplementary materials in the Compendia offer starting points, but of course Barton-Wright only offered details in some areas. The art really comes back to life when you start testing the various component methods against each other.

              Tony

              --- In Bartitsu_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "rmunter63" <r.munter1963@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the tips. I will buy the two "Compendium" and the DVD.
              > At this time, I'm translating (from English to Italian) the two articles of the legendary Burton-Wright and, in short, I will make them available on the forum.
              > I am currently studying (and experimenting) the old bare-knuckle boxing, using various books and videos.
              > Hey, everything is great... There is a whole world to discover!
              >
              > :-)
              >
              > Best,
              > Roberto.
              >
              > --- In Bartitsu_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "lone_wolf_92001" <lone_wolf_9@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Ciao Roberto,

              > > Towards setting up your own Bartitsu club, please see this article - http://www.bartitsu.org/index.php/bartitsu-today/modern-bartitsu-clubs-and-training/ .
              > >
              > > Please feel free to ask any questions or to offer any comments.
              > >
              > > Tony
              > >
              > > --- In Bartitsu_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "rmunter63" <r.munter1963@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi to all,
              > > > I am Roberto Munter, and I live in South Tyrol, Italy. I'm a big fan of history and martial arts, and I accidentally found your website. I'm very impressed and excited by your interesting project... Great!
              > > > I found an interesting article on the old "bare-knuckle" guard and, I hope, will be useful to fans of Bartitsu:
              > > >
              > > > http://dandjurdjevic.blogspot.it/2008/08/karate-kamae-or-guard.html
              > > >
              > > > I would like to open a "Bartitsu-Club" in my region. What should I do?
              > > >
              > > > This is my curriculum in the martial arts:
              > > > 3�dan in Wadoryu ju-jitsu kempo
              > > > 3�dan in Shindo Yoshin Ryu Jujitsu
              > > >
              > > > I also practiced other methods, for the purpose of study (and fun!) like: Savate, Boxe and Krav-Maga.
              > > >
              > > > Thx in advance for any answers.
              > > > Best,
              > > > Roberto.

            • rmunter63
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 28, 2012
                Thx Gordon, very interesting. I did not know of an Italian tradition with respect the cane...

                --- In Bartitsu_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Fencing is Fun <fencingisfunscotland@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for the link, Roberto.
                >
                > My own background is fencing (principally classical sword) and (aiki) ju
                > jutsu.
                >
                > I'd suggest that the major element to add to your own background for
                > Bartitsu is cane fencing - and there is a native Italian tradition similar
                > to the French tradition incorporated into Bartitsu.
                >
                > If you're interested, I can dig out contact details for the Italian cane
                > teacher I've worked with.
                >
                > Cheers,
                > Gordon
                >
                > FiF - Over 1700 children given their first fencing lesson
                > As seen on BBC One Scotland

              • lone_wolf_92001
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 28, 2012
                  Ciao Roberto,

                  "canne Italiana" - the modern practice is very similar to French canne fencing, but the historical (19th century) sources include some unusual features.

                  This book - http://www.libreriadellosport.it/libri/trattato_di_scherma_col_bastone_da_passeggio.php - is a very thorough examination of the system developed by M. Giannino Martinelli, who was kind of the E.W. Barton-Wright of Italy. His method (circa 1908) combined scherma col bastone del passegio with boxing and wrestling.

                  Tony

                  --- In Bartitsu_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "rmunter63" <r.munter1963@...> wrote:

                  > Thx Gordon, very interesting. I did not know of an Italian tradition with respect the cane...
                  >

                  > --- In Bartitsu_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Fencing is Fun <fencingisfunscotland@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for the link, Roberto.
                  > >
                  > > My own background is fencing (principally classical sword) and (aiki) ju
                  > > jutsu.
                  > >
                  > > I'd suggest that the major element to add to your own background for
                  > > Bartitsu is cane fencing - and there is a native Italian tradition similar
                  > > to the French tradition incorporated into Bartitsu.
                  > >
                  > > If you're interested, I can dig out contact details for the Italian cane
                  > > teacher I've worked with.
                  > >
                  > > Cheers,
                  > > Gordon
                  > >
                  > > FiF - Over 1700 children given their first fencing lesson
                  > > As seen on BBC One Scotland

                • rmunter63
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 28, 2012
                    Hi Tony,
                    What can I say? I came upon a site, of fine connoisseurs! Many thanks.
                    In this link:

                    http://www.mediafire.com/?dx8zw3a5lp5va6c

                    I collected three free manuals, prepared by a group of Italian fans (masters of fencing). Unfortunately, they are all in Italian, but the photos are very explanatory. Eventually, I am available for any translations. My email address is: halfhippo@....

                    Cheers,