Re: [Bartitsu_Forum] Recruitment...

  • gallowglassacad@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , May 10, 2012
      I know a number of SASS folks locally as I participate in some the
      matches. Most of them are older than I am.

      I have tried getting them interested n my Bowie knife classes and got
      no response. However, everyone should try what they can to get folks
      involved in their study group.

      Allen

      Message 2 of 7 , May 10, 2012
        I think "associated interests" are best for prompting people to attend a demonstration, one-off seminar or short-term course. About half of the intake for the Chicago club's 6-week intro. course were people from a steampunk/neo-Victorian background, but the great majority of students who have signed up for ongoing training are those with strong martial arts/combat sports backgrounds.

        Tony

        --- In Bartitsu_Forum@yahoogroups.com, gallowglassacad@... wrote:

        > I know a number of SASS folks locally as I participate in some the
        > matches. Most of them are older than I am.
        >
        > I have tried getting them interested n my Bowie knife classes and got
        > no response. However, everyone should try what they can to get folks
        > involved in their study group.
        >
        > Allen

      • will thomas
        Message 3 of 7 , May 10, 2012
          Same here. I thought I might join in one of these days. You know, the SASS, like the Steampunk orgs, have you create your own character, with name, costume, hardware, etc. To my knowledge, that's not something we have attempted yet.
          -Will/Cyrus Barker :)

          Message 4 of 7 , May 11, 2012
            I would think Bowie knife would be right up their alley, Allen, but they are a shooting league so perhaps they spend all their free time on that. But I completely agree that it's worth at least reaching out to them, as I am sure each regional group has varying levels of interest in 19th-century combatives. Also, as an aside, someone told me that CAS is very popular in Germany, of all places. I guess the appeal of the American frontier is more far-flung that I would have guessed.

            There is a certain amount of trial-and-error with recruiting. I didn't expect martial artists who actively practice another style to be interested in Bartitsu, yet we have many in our study group. Whereas I figured the Sherlockians - or at least, the younger, more active ones - would love it, but I got zero response and should have saved myself the postage of mailing all those scions the seminar information.

            I have also found online events calendars to be helpful for recruiting, as the listings are often picked up by other events calendars and so it provides good exposure.

            I am a bit challenged as far as recruiting because I know that more frequent classes would make it easier to attract new students, if they had more of a selection of dates and times. On the other hand, we don't have our own training space; it's a donation from a dojo and we in turn donate modest per-student contributions. Since we have to request that one of their staff members be present to open the facility, I hestitate to do so if we don't know that students will show up, as the staff are also volunteering their time to help us. So it's a Catch-22, but we're still so new that I expect it will take more time to build up a core group of dedicated students (my Systema class has less than 6 students at any class when I first began in 2003, now we have about 15 in an average class).

            --- In Bartitsu_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "harry_p_flashman" <hpflashman@...> wrote:

            > As not to sidetrack the discussion in the Alabama tread, I thought that I could suggest a venue for recruitment purposes, that I havent seen mentioned before.
            >
            > You fellows over the pond have a shooting organisation called CAS (Cowboy Action Shooting) that do their shooting in Western attire, shooting Single Action Revolvers, Lever actions et al with a time setting from around 1850ish to 1912 (the so called Wild Bunch program)and includes mounted shooting and such. There may be some interest if putting up an exhibition on one of the larger gatherings ?
            >
            > Given that they actually have a sound interest for some of the more martial aspects of the timeline, perhaps there would be some interest.
            >
            > Best regards,
            >
            > "Harry" in Norway

          • lone_wolf_92001
            Message 5 of 7 , May 11, 2012
              There's a very active Wild West re-enactment scene in Germany, mostly inspired (AFAIK) by the "Old Shatterhand" series of novels by the author Karl May, dating back to the 1880s and'90s. May's stories were phenomenally popular and have also inspired movies, TV series etc. I learned about this during a seminar tour in Germany a number of years ago, when I met the actor/stuntman who was playing the role of Winnetou, a Native American warrior who plays a prominent part in the stories. Fight directors and Western martial arts instructors have also given seminars in various "frontier" fighting styles (bowie knife, tomahawk etc.) for Wild West societies in Germany.

              On the topic of recruitment for ongoing Bartitsu clubs, we've had some success so far in Chicago via:

              * holding an introductory seminar promoted through intensive targeted advertising (Chicago Steampunk via Facebook, etc.), bolstered by cross-over interest from a well-established local WMA group and stage combat community.

              * rolling that seminar immediately into a six-week long intro. course, which served to establish a core group. Of that group, IMO most of those whose backgrounds were primarily steampunk/neo-Victoriana were interested in an "experience" of Bartitsu, rather than in making a long-term commitment to training.

              * establishing an ongoing course based on the enthusiasm for the intro. course, the core group of whom are almost all serious martial artists with some interest in steampunk/Holmes/etc.

              * very intensive mass media attention (TV, internet, radio, newspapers) all coalescing into the same roughly week-long period, which continues to reinforce the core group.

              Tony