Re: [Bartitsu_Forum] First meeting of the Chicago Bartitsu Club

  • gallowglassacad@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2012
      Sounds like fun. sorry I am too far away to take part.

      On the other hand if you need a hooligan for your antagonisticathlon
      let me know.

      Allen

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2012
        Hi Allen,

        will do. I've been thinking of the antagonisticathlon as a sort of graduation event at the end of the course.

        Tony

        --- In Bartitsu_Forum@yahoogroups.com, gallowglassacad@... wrote:

        > Sounds like fun. sorry I am too far away to take part.
        >
        > On the other hand if you need a hooligan for your antagonisticathlon
        > let me know.
        >
        > Allen

      • wtrumpler
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2012
          Tony,

          Congratulations on your successful beginning! I am very curious about the balance and synergy drills. Could I impose upon you to elaborate on those? I know it may difficult to get the gist of it via email, but I'd like to experiment with them and get a feel for what you are doing.

          All the best,
          Bill

          On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 12:50 AM, lone_wolf_92001 <lone_wolf_9@...> wrote:

[...]

        • Marcus Elmore

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 2, 2012
              Hi Bill,

              thanks - I'm hugely busy right now but give me a day or two ...

              Tony

              --- In Bartitsu_Forum@yahoogroups.com, wtrumpler <wtrumpler@...> wrote:

              > Tony,
              >
              > Congratulations on your successful beginning! I am very curious about the
              > balance and synergy drills. Could I impose upon you to elaborate on those?
              > I know it may difficult to get the gist of it via email, but I'd like to
              > experiment with them and get a feel for what you are doing.
              >
              > All the best,
              > Bill
              >
              > On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 12:50 AM, lone_wolf_92001 <lone_wolf_9@...>wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > 16 attendees representing the gamut of martial arts experience, including
              > > a surprising number of ex-marines, gathered at the Forteza studio this
              > > evening for the inaugural meeting of the Bartitsu Club of Chicago.
              > >
              > > I was very happy to watch people experimenting with the Indian clubs,
              > > antique iron dumbbells and wall-mounted weightlifting machine as others
              > > arrived and signed in - it really felt like being present in a c1900
              > > gymnasium.
              > >
              > > Although a number of attendees had taken part in the intro. seminar last
              > > week and were already familiar with the Bartitsu story, about half were
              > > newcomers so I began with the usual precis of Bartitsu history, the Holmes
              > > connection and how the revival has developed over the past ten years. We
              > > then warmed up with various balance and synergy (tactile response) drills,
              > > including an exercise in intuitively breaking an opponent's balance,
              > > without reference to specific techniques.
              > >
              > > Segueing into a basic pugilism exercise (lunging left lead off), we then
              > > twisted the drill by allowing the opponent to parry or evade the punch, at
              > > which point the puncher shifted back into the intuitive balance-breaking
              > > drill to re-establish control of the initiative. Further layers included
              > > adding the coup de pied bas after the punch, then allowing the opponent to
              > > evade both punch and kick and then, in turn, shift into the
              > > balance-breaking drill as a counter-attack. The same process was then
              > > applied to one of the canonical stick fighting sequences.
              > >
              > > We finished up with a discussion about the aims of the Club, including
              > > whether to include a rank system, and some chat about the
              > > antagonisticathlon event, which aroused considerable enthusiasm.
              > >
              > > In all it was a terrific start to the 6-week course.
              > >
              > > Cheers,
              > >
              > > Tony

            • David McCormick
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 3, 2012
                I have been seriously considering moving to Chicago. But at this point, it's just vacation plans. Either way, I hope to get down there to visit you in the near-term.

                David

                --
                The School: AcademieDuello.com
                The Association: FDC.ca

                Next Workshop: Intro Stage Combat - Slaps & Slashes at Academie Duello on 12 February

              • lone_wolf_92001
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 5, 2012
                  Hi Bill,

                  the following are sample "Wolf System" exercises excerpted from a book I started writing about 6 years ago. In brief, "synergy" refers to tactile response/communication - the trained ability to sense a partner's (or opponent's) levels of muscular tension, shifts of balance, etc. through touch contact. "Alignment" refers to the triangular skeletal posture(s) required to stand upright, support weight via pushing, pulling, lifting, etc.

                  -----------------
                  Breaking alignment
                  Partners: 2
                  Object: For one partner to assume a succession of strong, well-aligned
                  postures, and for the other to safely interrupt that alignment.
                  Develops: Alignment skills; sense of combat strategy
                  · Assume a strong, well-aligned posture such as a base stance.
                  · Focus on maintaining core strength and dynamic tension throughout the exercise, while continuing to breathe comfortably.
                  · Using minimal muscular strength and maximum positioning, and
                  initially using only their hips and/or legs, your partner attempts to
                  interrupt your alignment, to push or pull you out of balance and force
                  you to take a step to recover.
                  Repeat several times with different postures, then swap roles.
                  · Next level: the pusher uses only hips and/or shoulders
                  · Next level: the pusher uses only hands
                  · Next level: the pusher uses legs and hands
                  · Next level: the pusher uses legs and shoulders
                  · Etc.
                  Notes: The partner whose job is to interrupt the other's alignment
                  should recall the lessons, the Immovable Object and One Finger Defeats
                  the Base Stance. Lateral and downward pressure, pushing into the
                  resistance line of their partner's alignment, will have little effect;
                  perpendicular and diagonal pressure should allow them to easily
                  disrupt their partner's alignment, using only minimal muscular
                  strength.

                  Stand-off

                  Partners: 2
                  Object: to cause your opponent to break alignment and step forwards or
                  backwards, while preventing them from doing the same to you
                  Develops: Synergy and Alignment skills; sense of combat strategy
                  · Face your partner in the base position, touching palms. Both
                  endeavor to remain in neutral alignment, i.e., not sharing weight.
                  · You are trying to outmaneuver your partner and cause them to step off-balance. This can be done either by means of a sudden shove to your partner's hands, or by relaxing and yielding to your partner's
                  own attempt to shove your hands.
                  · Eyes open or closed as desired: the best players will maintain a low stance with knees bent and will use the full flexibility of their knee joints.
                  Notes: Breathe and relax right up until the moment that you execute a
                  shove; in that instant, you are genuinely trying to win by pushing
                  your partner off-balance, so the movement of the shove must be fast,
                  unexpected and vigorous. If your partner is tense, they will be much
                  easier to defeat in this game; they may end up leaning on your hands,
                  in which case you can win simply by pulling your hands away, or they
                  may attempt to absorb the shock of your shove muscularly, in which
                  case they will probably be pushed off balance (see One Finger Defeats
                  the Base Stance).
                  If you stand with straight, rigid legs you will be easy to topple;
                  bend your knees and keep them soft, to act as shock absorbers and to
                  power your pushes.
                  -----------------------------
                  I can't detail all the exercises here, but basically there are numerous similar drills that can be combined into a freestyle "jam" performed with single partners or small groups. The overall objective is to develop a kind of intuitive, "body knowledge" understanding of and ability in a set of pre-technical skills that can then be honed into various specific techniques.

                  Cheers,

                  Tony

                  --- In Bartitsu_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "lone_wolf_92001" <lone_wolf_9@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Bill,
                  >
                  > thanks - I'm hugely busy right now but give me a day or two ...
                  >
                  > Tony
                  >
                  > --- In Bartitsu_Forum@yahoogroups.com, wtrumpler <wtrumpler@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Tony,
                  > >
                  > > Congratulations on your successful beginning! I am very curious about the
                  > > balance and synergy drills. Could I impose upon you to elaborate on those?
                  > > I know it may difficult to get the gist of it via email, but I'd like to
                  > > experiment with them and get a feel for what you are doing.
                  > >
                  > > All the best,
                  > > Bill
                  > >
                  > > On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 12:50 AM, lone_wolf_92001 <lone_wolf_9@>wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > **
                  > > >

                  > > > 16 attendees representing the gamut of martial arts experience, including
                  > > > a surprising number of ex-marines, gathered at the Forteza studio this
                  > > > evening for the inaugural meeting of the Bartitsu Club of Chicago.
                  > > >
                  > > > I was very happy to watch people experimenting with the Indian clubs,
                  > > > antique iron dumbbells and wall-mounted weightlifting machine as others
                  > > > arrived and signed in - it really felt like being present in a c1900
                  > > > gymnasium.
                  > > >
                  > > > Although a number of attendees had taken part in the intro. seminar last
                  > > > week and were already familiar with the Bartitsu story, about half were
                  > > > newcomers so I began with the usual precis of Bartitsu history, the Holmes
                  > > > connection and how the revival has developed over the past ten years. We
                  > > > then warmed up with various balance and synergy (tactile response) drills,
                  > > > including an exercise in intuitively breaking an opponent's balance,
                  > > > without reference to specific techniques.
                  > > >
                  > > > Segueing into a basic pugilism exercise (lunging left lead off), we then
                  > > > twisted the drill by allowing the opponent to parry or evade the punch, at
                  > > > which point the puncher shifted back into the intuitive balance-breaking
                  > > > drill to re-establish control of the initiative. Further layers included
                  > > > adding the coup de pied bas after the punch, then allowing the opponent to
                  > > > evade both punch and kick and then, in turn, shift into the
                  > > > balance-breaking drill as a counter-attack. The same process was then
                  > > > applied to one of the canonical stick fighting sequences.
                  > > >
                  > > > We finished up with a discussion about the aims of the Club, including
                  > > > whether to include a rank system, and some chat about the
                  > > > antagonisticathlon event, which aroused considerable enthusiasm.
                  > > >
                  > > > In all it was a terrific start to the 6-week course.
                  > > >
                  > > > Cheers,
                  > > >
                  > > > Tony

                • lone_wolf_92001
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 5, 2012
                    Hi David,

                    you'll be welcome - keep me in the loop re. Chicago visit plans.

                    Tony

                    --- In Bartitsu_Forum@yahoogroups.com, David McCormick <david@...> wrote:

                    > I have been seriously considering moving to Chicago. But at this point,
                    > it's just vacation plans. Either way, I hope to get down there to visit you
                    > in the near-term.
                    >
                    > David
                  • wtrumpler
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 3, 2012
                      Thank you, Tony. I missed this post when it came through! Sorry for my delayed response!

                      All the best,
                      Bill