Re: [Baritsu] Baritsu uniform

  • Tony Wolf
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2003
      Uniform, eh ...

      I reckon the Victorian Jiujitsu outfit would certainly work for the
      grappling component, and perhaps something based on Vigny's fencing kit for
      stick fighting. We have plenty of examples of protective gear from this
      period as well.

      Tony

    • lone_wolf_92001 <lone_wolf_9@hotmail.com>
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2003
        ... how about typical Victorian/Edwardian gym kit as the basic
        uniform? This would be either tights or fencing-type pants, T-shirt
        or singlet, waist-sash and light boots or slippers. It would be
        correct for boxing and physical culture exercises in general, and the
        full Bartitsu kit could include a fencing jacket and pads for stick
        fighting, and a Judogi-type jacket for grappling.

        Tony
      • will thomas
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2003

          One of the jiu-jutsu texts I have from that time included a pair of judo pants that

          had been altered to tie just below the knee, like fencing pants. It was the most

          practical of all the innovations for pants at that time, when they were trying to

          decide between shorts, tights or trousers. I think a unifrom that would be too

          archaic might turn potential baritsuans off, but your average martial arts outfit

          would loose the Victorian flair of the sport.          -will

           "lone_wolf_92001 <lone_wolf_9@...>" <lone_wolf_9@...> wrote:

          ... how about typical Victorian/Edwardian gym kit as the basic
          uniform?  This would be either tights or fencing-type pants, T-shirt
          or singlet, waist-sash and light boots or slippers.  It would be
          correct for boxing and physical culture exercises in general, and the
          full Bartitsu kit could include a fencing jacket and pads for stick
          fighting, and a Judogi-type jacket for grappling.

          Tony

          Do you Yahoo!?