community education

  • roohut
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 21 2:58 PM
      Here are the meetings for Group 1 about Community Education.

      Off Leash Group 1 Community Education

      March 19, 2008

      Attending: Cherie Simpson, Amber Novak, Dara Ruiz, Charlie McCabe,
      Rosie Weaver

      We agreed on goals for the working group.

      1. Provide education for dog owners

      2. Providing education for non-dog owners, parents, and kids

      3. Being a resource for PARD for dog-related education issues

      We focused on item 1, education for dog owners. Education issues
      include:

      · Scooping the poop

      · Dog etiquette, off and on-leash - sharing space,
      interacting with other dogs, etc.

      · Recognizing and addressing abuse

      Scooping the poop was agreed on as the priority issue to begin
      working on. Two plans were formulated.

      1) Improving and increasing printed communication at parks.
      Signs and flyers should be prepared addressing "What's in it for me?"
      and "Ways to help". Information should be bilingual. A cohesive
      aesthetic would be nice.

      What's in it for me? Includes highlighting danger to kids/pets from
      contaminated water, avoiding fines.

      Ways to help include -bringing an extra bag to offer other people -
      picking up orphan poops -always scooping -calling 311 when Mutt Mitt
      stations are empty

      2) Poop Patrol Program

      The general strategy is to target a park, conduct an
      education/awareness campaign, then have park police begin issuing
      tickets. The committee determined that the awareness campaign should
      take place over the course of a week at several different times, to
      reach different constituencies. For example, Wednesday evening,
      Friday morning, and a weekend day.

      Poop patrol volunteers would approach dog owners, offer a dog treat,
      mutt mitt, or other give-away, and explain that scooping enforcement
      is being stepped up. The volunteers would have flyers (from item 1)
      for those who want more information.

      The committee decided on the third week of April to target the first
      park.

      Action Items

      ü Charlie will contact enforcement agencies to organize targeted
      ticketing

      ü Cherie will spearhead signage/flyer development with the Water
      Quality Scoop the Poop folks

      ü Dara will contact pet stores/kennels about possible give-aways
      such as leash-mounted bag dispensers and dog biscuits.

      ü Amber will assemble a list of dog park list servs.

      ü Rosie will contact volunteer group leaders to find a target park
      and recruit poop patrol volunteers.

      END OF MINUTES

      The idea is to start with dog parks such as Bull Creek or Town Lake
      where there is a large contingency of dogs and work our way through
      the parks. Heavy emphasis on educating and warning people before
      enforcement!