update on off leash

  • roohut
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 14, 2008
      The Austin Parks Meeting Feb 6th was productive. Twenty-nine people
      are involved and a number of priorities were identified. The next
      step will be to divide into smaller work groups to adress three areas
      which have to do with education, best practices and development of
      new areas.
      The next meeting has not been set.

      Nuba Shores and Margaret Dahl have volunteered to help coordinate our
      efforts as we move forward. THANKS!

      Jenna Neal (Planning for Austin Parks and Rec)and I will meet at the
      Long Range Planning meeting for AP&R Feb 20th (6-8:30 at Travis High
      School Cafeteria). This is an open meeting to discuss future planning
      for Planning Area #2 which includes Bartholomew. I'm not sure how
      much we will be able to discuss the specifics of our off-leash
      concerns but I will let you know the outcome and what happens next.

      I will post the proposed work groups for the Off-Leash advocacy group
      on the "files" section of our group (If I figure it out) so you can
      see what priorities were discussed and actions for the future.

      Let me know if you have questions

      Cherie
    • margaret Dahl
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 15, 2008

        Hi, Cherie,

        a couple of questions:  1.  does Nuba have my email address or telephone number so she can contact me when she needs help?

        2.  What/why is all the activity (read: money, mulah, dinero, city funds, etc.) being poured into an area that had rather recently been redone and as far as I could tell was still  in a rellatively decent state of repair?

        It seems such a waste to me to expend limited funds on an area that had so recently seen so much attention.

        Thanks!

        Margaret

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 15, 2008
          Margaret

          I will make sure Nuba has your contact information and the answer to
          the other question is

          The old equipment (which looked fine) was actually out of code for
          safety and has been scheduled for replacement for sometime. I
          actually met with Parks and Recs about not replacing the play
          equipment and using the money for replacing the wading pool but that
          was a no go because 1) the equipment was "unsafe" which had to do with
          heights and spaces that little heads could get stuck in and 2) money
          was specifically marked for that and 3) if we didn't replace now with
          given money it may be 10 yrs before it is replaced again and then we
          would have a real mess.

          Hope that helps..not a great answer since it didn't seem like it
          needed replaced but that was the plan.
          Cherie
        • margaret Dahl
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 15, 2008
            Thanks, again, Cherie.  You've clarified the matter for me.