Re: [Band-in-a-Box] Re: To Cakewalk and Back - How?

  • David H. Bailey
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 2, 2002
      Piano-roll view is where the notes are represented just like the holes
      in an old piano-roll from a player piano. There is a keyboard which
      runs up the screen on the left to show you the pitch, and there is a
      grid to show you the 16th-note (or whatever resolution you select) grid
      within each beat in each measure. A rectangle represents each note, and
      you can click and move up or down to change pitch or you can click and
      drag left or right to shorten or lengthen notes. This allows for VERY
      precise editing of pitches and rhythms. It is ALMOST like the notation
      view when you click the icon a couple of times and some grid lines
      appear and little black lines extend out from each note-head, but a
      piano-roll doesn't mix in the confusion of the notation.

      So it is ALMOST the same, but not quite, and is sorely lacking in
      comparison to the piano-roll view in Cakewalk.

      I find editing notation in sequencer packages such as Cakewalk or
      Powertracks or even Band-in-a-Box to be much harder than it ought to
      be. But since I never use these programs for my notation needs I
      haven't registered a complaint about it. I use Finale when notation is
      more important.

      --
      David H. Bailey
      dhbailey52@...