Re: [Band-in-a-Box] Biab 10 : What Note Resolution (ppq) does it support?

  • Bob 'Notes' Norton
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 6, 2001
      >At 02:14 AM 3/7/01 +0000, Scottyee@... wrote:
      >
      >Can someone tell me the note resolution (ppq) Band In A Box version
      >10 supports?

      Unfortunately, Band-in-a-Box has a resolution of 120 ppq. I find this to be
      one of the more unfortunate limitations of the program. IMHO 240ppq is the
      absolute minimum necessary for MIDI.

      I have gotten around that limitation by writing some "Norton Music
      Expanded" styles. In my "Norton Music Expanded" styles, I have made one
      Band-in-a-Box measure equal to only one half measure of music. For most 4/4
      songs, you need to expand the song in Band-in-a-Box to get it to work, and
      that is why I call them "Norton Music Expanded" styles.

      There are a few advantages to these "Norton Music Expanded" styles.
      (1) The effective resolution is 240 ppq
      (2) you can fit up to 8 chords per measure (since one BiaB measure is only
      a half measure of music).
      (3) you can play a chord on the eighth note before the beat and another
      chord on the beat (something you cannot do with anything but the expanded
      styles)

      On the other side of the coin, your sequencer can give too much resolution
      if it exceeds the bandwidth of the MIDI signal. I am not sure what that is,
      but I find that after 960ppq I cannot hear any difference, even at the
      slowest tempos.

      - - - - - - - - -
      Bob "Notes" Norton
      owner, Norton Music
      norton@...
      http://www.nortonmusic.com

      Norton Music is the #1 producer of BiaB after-market products in the world!
      But don't take my word for it,
      Listen to FREE MIDI file demo files at:
      http://www.nortonmusic.com/styledemo.html
      What you hear is what you get.
    • Scottyee@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 8, 2001
        Thanks Hank & Bob "Notes" Norton for the valuable info regarding Band
        In A Box (Windows) version 10's 's timing resolution (120 parts per
        quarter note).

        Though 120 ppq is only minimumly acceptable by today's midi
        sequencing standards, I somehow recall the timing resolution of an
        earlier (Mac) version of Band In The Box was even much less. Does
        anyone know what the timing resolution of Band In A Box version 7 and
        earlier (both PC & Mac platforms) was? I somehow recall it was
        something like 48ppq, though I could be remembering wrong.

        I wonder if PG Music has any plans to further improve the timing
        resolution in future releases of Band In A Box. Is that hard to do?

        Thanks,

        Scotty
      • Janice McDonald
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 9, 2001
          Hello Scotty,

          Why not write to the BIAB Forum and ask them what
          their plans are? Maybe you caould add that to the
          growing 'wishlist?'

          Janice

          --- Scottyee@... wrote:
          > Thanks Hank & Bob "Notes" Norton for the valuable
          > info regarding Band
          > In A Box (Windows) version 10's 's timing resolution
          > (120 parts per
          > quarter note).
          >
          > Though 120 ppq is only minimumly acceptable by
          > today's midi
          > sequencing standards, I somehow recall the timing
          > resolution of an
          > earlier (Mac) version of Band In The Box was even
          > much less. Does
          > anyone know what the timing resolution of Band In A
          > Box version 7 and
          > earlier (both PC & Mac platforms) was? I somehow
          > recall it was
          > something like 48ppq, though I could be remembering
          > wrong.
          >
          > I wonder if PG Music has any plans to further
          > improve the timing
          > resolution in future releases of Band In A Box. Is
          > that hard to do?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Scotty

        • Bob 'Notes' Norton
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 9, 2001
            >At 06:42 AM 3/9/01 +0000, Scottyee@... wrote:
            >Though 120 ppq is only minimumly acceptable by today's midi
            >sequencing standards, I somehow recall the timing resolution of an
            >earlier (Mac) version of Band In The Box was even much less.

            As far as I know, it has always been 120ppq, but that is not an official
            answer. Although I have the Mac version, I don't use it as much as I do the
            Windows version (the Windows version has always been better).

            >Does
            >anyone know what the timing resolution of Band In A Box version 7 and
            >earlier (both PC & Mac platforms) was?

            PC version has been 120 ppq since I started writing styles waaaaay back on
            version 4.

            >I wonder if PG Music has any plans to further improve the timing
            >resolution in future releases of Band In A Box. Is that hard to do?

            I don't know how hard it is to do, but I know that PG will probably not
            change it unless PG can figure out a way to keep it backwards compatible. I
            for one would like to see it doubled.

            - - - - - - - - -
            Bob "Notes" Norton
            owner, Norton Music
            norton@...
            http://www.nortonmusic.com

            Norton Music is the #1 producer of BiaB after-market products in the world!
            Featuring Power User Styles, Fake Disks, and Arangement Disks.
            PLUS ... PG Music products at up to 20% off ... FREE Midi Files ... links
            to MIDI file search pages ... download and print sheet music directly from
            the web ... a few jokes to brighten your day ... and more.
          • Hank Carol Sims
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 9, 2001
              Hi Scott
              I think version #7 was also 120ppq. Earlier versions I don't know about.

              Hank