Feedback

  • mispeltyoof
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 4, 2012
      I want to take my laptop with BIAB to gigs. When I plug laptop into amp I get a horrendous howl. This ceases when I unplug it from mains and run it on battery. I wouldn't be happy relying on battery for a whole gig.
      Any suggestions to cure this guys?
      Cheers
      Rod
    • D F Tweedie
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 4, 2012
        You need what is called a 'ground loop lifter/ eliminator.' http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HumX/

        Sometimes this can also be corrected by plugging all your gear into a single main with a surge protector ... and even daisy chaining surge protectors to the first one plugged into the mains.

        DF

      • Bob 'Notes' Norton
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 4, 2012
          At 08:08 AM 8/4/2012, you wrote:
          >I want to take my laptop with BIAB to gigs. When I plug laptop into amp I get a horrendous howl. This ceases when I unplug it from mains and run it on battery. I wouldn't be happy relying on battery for a whole gig.
          >Any suggestions to cure this guys?
          >Cheers
          >Rod

          Try using a USB to Audio interface instead of using the output jack. Sounds like a ground loop to me.

          ---===«<>»===---
          Bob "Notes" Norton • owner, Norton Music • http://www.nortonmusic.com
          "The (Norton Music) Style Disks are a good buy ... and one of them just might give you an idea for that next million dollar song." -- Electronic Musician Magazine
          --
        • Larry - Ohio Time Corp
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 4, 2012
            Yes I think DF has it. It may also be the ground on the cable from the
            laptop (1/8" stereo) to the amp (1/4" or XLR or ?? mono). You have to deal
            with the left, right and ground from the laptop properly.

            When I hear something bad coming from my set up generally it's my playing..

            Larry - Cleveland

          • Rodney Buckle
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 5, 2012
              Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will pursue the problem

              Cheers
              Rod

            • Dave Nuttall
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 5, 2012
                On 8/4/2012 2:00 PM, Bob 'Notes' Norton wrote:

                > At 08:08 AM 8/4/2012, you wrote:
                > >I want to take my laptop with BIAB to gigs. When I plug laptop into
                > amp I get a horrendous howl. This ceases when I unplug it from mains
                > and run it on battery. I wouldn't be happy relying on battery for a
                > whole gig.
                > >Any suggestions to cure this guys?
                > >Cheers
                > >Rod
                >
                > Try using a USB to Audio interface instead of using the output jack.
                > Sounds like a ground loop to me.

                Hi Notes,
                Since we know you are an active gigging musician, could you kindly share
                your most favored product(s) for the USB->Audio (computer out to PA/amp)?

                I use the 1/8th inch out of my laptop, but my sense is that a USB->Audio
                is a more intelligent option, even if it means spending a portion of my
                fixed income to do it!!!

                TIA and best regards.
                Dave

              • David H. Bailey
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 5, 2012
                  On 8/5/2012 7:01 AM, Rodney Buckle wrote:
                  > Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will pursue the problem

                  One piece of advice not offered yet -- if your power supply has an AC
                  plug that doesn't have the ground pin, try reversing that plug in the
                  outlet. This sometimes resolves ground-loop issues. Or try the same
                  with your amplifier. The thing is to get both pieces of equipment to be
                  in phase with each other regarding the ground. (I hope that's the
                  correct phrase "in phase".)

                  --
                  David H. Bailey
                  dhbailey@...
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 5, 2012
                    Hi Rodney,

                    Other than a ground loop there may be another problem. I have a HP laptop - when running on battery there are no problems but running on the power pack there is intermittent interference - for example when the hard disc is busy. Despite trying most remedies including ground lifts I have been unable to solve the problem and reluctantly have to conclude that the power pack is simply 'dirty'.

                    Hope this isn't your problem.

                    Lew Aldridge

                  • Rodney Buckle
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 5, 2012
                      It maybe .I can plug my old tower machine into the PA with the same cable
                      etc and the sound is totally clean. My Sony Viao makes a constant howling
                      louder than I can play!

                      Cheers
                      Rod

                    • Pete Nicholls
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 5, 2012
                        I had an HP laptop and got rid of it for the same reason, the terrible hum
                        when plugged up to AC power. I concluded that is was indeed a dirty power
                        supply. I replaced it with an Acer thatworks just fine with the AC poser
                        supply, but also gives me 6 hours on battery, enough for a gig and some to
                        spare!

                        Pete

                      • Kevin Sterchi
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 5, 2012
                          I use a TC Electronics half space interface-it works well with my Mac Pro Laptop. It sounds like the plug you are using includes the computers mic?
                          Kevin
                          On Aug 5, 2012, at 7:41 AM, Dave Nuttall <dnuttall@...> wrote:

                          > On 8/4/2012 2:00 PM, Bob 'Notes' Norton wrote:
                          > >
                          > > At 08:08 AM 8/4/2012, you wrote:
                          > > >I want to take my laptop with BIAB to gigs. When I plug laptop into
                          > > amp I get a horrendous howl. This ceases when I unplug it from mains
                          > > and run it on battery. I wouldn't be happy relying on battery for a
                          > > whole gig.
                          > > >Any suggestions to cure this guys?
                          > > >Cheers
                          > > >Rod
                          > >
                          > > Try using a USB to Audio interface instead of using the output jack.
                          > > Sounds like a ground loop to me.
                          >
                          > Hi Notes,
                          > Since we know you are an active gigging musician, could you kindly share
                          > your most favored product(s) for the USB->Audio (computer out to PA/amp)?
                          >
                          > I use the 1/8th inch out of my laptop, but my sense is that a USB->Audio
                          > is a more intelligent option, even if it means spending a portion of my
                          > fixed income to do it!!!
                          >
                          > TIA and best regards.
                          > Dave

                          Kevin Sterchi
                          KSterchi@...
                          Home 956-424-1332
                          Cell 956-566-1858
                          Web: http://www.KevinSterchi.com
                          http://www.imagineaworldwithnosax.com/Welcome.html

                        • Jake
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 5, 2012
                            I use a HP laptop and have no problems with noise plugging it into the sound system. I use a Bose L1 Model 11 sound system. I use both types of plug ins, earphone or USB (Mackie Mixer).

                            Jake Keasling

                          • Kevin Sterchi
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 5, 2012
                              I use the Roland BA-330 on my jazz gigs with the TC electronics interface and Macbook Pro with firewire hookup for BIAB only. I'm sure your Bose system is great but it would probably be a little overkill for me as I play small venues.

                              Kevin

                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 5, 2012
                                I now have nothing that weighs over 27 lb. When you get old, you have to let go of the heavy equipment.

                                Jake Keasling