Re: [Band-in-a-Box] Edirol VSC replacement

  • Rick Billings
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 31, 2010
      I did not realize I would get some much information for a thesis... uh book.  I
      may wait for the movie! :)

      I read through some of the links.  I'm on the road right now because of
      business.  I will give some of the group's suggestions a try this weekend.  I do
      not do any live work with midi so slow loads will not necessarily do anything
      but make it slightly irritating when loading.  The latency problem I even deal
      with when using VSC.  Since I do not perform live using midi, I mix slightly
      different when laying down midi tracks with tracks already recorded to help me
      deal with latency playing.  I use a desktop with plenty of horse power, memory,
      and disk space.  Money is about the only problem I have at this time so
      something free or low-cost to start with will be what I look for.  Realism in
      sound is what I'm looking for.  VSC has done a good job, but as I desire to do a
      better job with soundtracks, I also desire the sound to be better.

      This discussion is greatly appreciated.  Thanks for all your help.  I don't
      always participate, but I do read most everything that is posted.  I'll continue
      to read and learn.

      Rick

    • hostdadrb
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 4, 2010
        Hello - it's me again! I guess I am missing the boat on soundfonts. I've found and downloaded some free soundfonts for testing. My sound card is an on-board card. It is a "SigmaTel High Definition" card. According to what I can find, I should be able to load the soundfonts to a sound card (not sure about mine). Is that a correct assumption. Next, I cannot find any where or any way to install the soundfonts on this sound card. I am wondering if I have something wrong or do I just not get it.

        Rick
      • Gary Thompson
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 4, 2010
          Rick ...
          Sorry, Sigmatel chips do not have a synthesizer function (that I am
          aware of). They provide AD DA conversion only. To use soundfonts
          directly with a soundcard, it must have a synthesizer function that is
          driven from soundfont samples, such as the Soundblaster/Audigy line from
          Creative.

          To use the soundfonts, you can run a software synthesizer that will load
          soundfonts. There are several free software synthesizers that do handle
          soundfonts and should work with the Sigmatel chips.

          I am assuming you are running Windows, if so the SFZ soundfont player
          should work for you. It works with BIAB easily.
          http://www.cakewalk.com/support/project5/sfz.aspx

          To get latency down (live play from a keyboard controller) you will also
          need an ASIO driver ...
          http://www.asio4all.com/

          --
          It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with
          the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 4, 2010
            On 9/4/2010 4:42 PM, hostdadrb wrote:
            > Hello - it's me again! I guess I am missing the boat on soundfonts. I've found and downloaded some free soundfonts for testing. My sound card is an on-board card. It is a "SigmaTel High Definition" card. According to what I can find, I should be able to load the soundfonts to a sound card (not sure about mine). Is that a correct assumption. Next, I cannot find any where or any way to install the soundfonts on this sound card. I am wondering if I have something wrong or do I just not get it.

            Your soundcard needs specifically to be able to handle soundfonts -- not
            all soundcards can do that. One way to find out is to do a web-search on
            your soundcard and see if it can handle them.

            If it can't then you can search for a free VST soundfont player, and
            then from within BIAB you select Opt. menu, then select the option to
            set up midi and audio drivers and select Use DXi/VST and then you load
            in the soundfont player you installed, load your soundfont into that
            player and they you should be good to go.

            http://freemusicsoftware.org/category/free-vst/soundfont is a link to a
            free soundfont player.

            --
            David H. Bailey
            dhbailey@...
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 4, 2010
              I am pretty sure that is an incorrect assumption. I believe only the Creative Soundblaster series of sound card have that option.

              What you need to do is get VSTi soundfont player. There are some free ones and some fairly high end synths that load soundfonts (Cakewalsk z3+ ... if I have the name right ... comes to mind). Then you have to load the player or synth in your sequencer and load the soundfont samples into the player or synth.

              DF

            • Rick Billings
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 4, 2010
                Thanks David - It appears that this sound card does not handle sound fonts as
                some of the other cards do. I spent some time tonight experimenting with the
                sound fonts and found my DAW software (Multitrack Studio) handles soundfonts
                directly without using a soundfont player. The software converts the files to a
                standard it can use. MAN!!!!, is there a difference. I should have been using
                soundfonts along time ago. I also discovered when using soundfonts, it uses the
                midi files for playing, but outputs wav formats that can be mixed down to a
                master without going through a midi to wav conversion. I am greatly pleased
                with this finding.

                Although this does not necessarily sound like a BIAB problem, I use BIAB to
                build most everything I create then dump it to midi. I then modify the midi
                tracks to meet the specific sound I'm looking for just so I can remove some of
                the "canned" feel.

                As I said before, thanks for all the input. This is a great forum and a great
                learning experience.

                Rick

              • roronron
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 5, 2010
                  Download the soundfont bank manager this may work. It works for me but I have xfi card. I am not finished with site but I checked download soundfont manager, worked fine.

                  I am curious please let me know if it works.

                  There is all I could find pertaining to soundfont software I could find on the net. Help yourself.
                  http://www.hotfontsf2.com/software.html

                  --- In Band-in-a-Box@yahoogroups.com, "hostdadrb" <hostdadrb@...> wrote:

                  > Hello - it's me again! I guess I am missing the boat on soundfonts. I've found and downloaded some free soundfonts for testing. My sound card is an on-board card. It is a "SigmaTel High Definition" card. According to what I can find, I should be able to load the soundfonts to a sound card (not sure about mine). Is that a correct assumption. Next, I cannot find any where or any way to install the soundfonts on this sound card. I am wondering if I have something wrong or do I just not get it.
                  >
                  > Rick

                • fretsmax
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 15, 2010
                    Not knowing about your current sound card / system spec's

                    Here is how I handle things.
                    I pull up BIAB and have the default soundfont work the piece.
                    I pull up a second window with my standalone vsti host and use that for my performance.