Re: [Band-in-a-Box] When is the new version going to be released?

  • jmgsky@dsl.pipex.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 1, 2009
      Quoting mhowardcain <MichaelH.Cain@...>:

      > When is the new version going to be released?

      In about two weeks I hazard to guess.
      John
    • Clif Davis
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 1, 2009
        Checking it daily, though I'll probably see an email here first.
        :-)

        Clif

        On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 8:26 PM, mhowardcain <MichaelH.Cain@...>wrote:

        > When is the new version going to be released?

      • Peter Mercurio
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 2, 2009
          Hi All,

          I hope what I want to do is possible.

          I've set up BIAB with all instruments muted, except for the bass and drums, and I play guitar along with those.

          At a certain bar, on the first beat, I want the drums to mute off and the bass to play and sustain a root note for 4 beats;

          and for the next 8 bars the drums continue to be muted and the bass again plays and sustains one note in each bar.

          There after everything go back to usual.

          Now, by way of the Chord Settings dialog screen I can can produce a sustain by clicking on HOLD CHORD setting.

          And, by way of the Bar Settings dialog screen I'm able to achieve a mute of the drums. But, I can't seem to have both

          operating together. For example, if I have the bass sustain thing happening, as soon as I enact the drum mute in BAR SETTINGS the

          bass stops sustaining and plays as usual. Or the bass holds, but the drum still plays on the first beat and rests.

          I know I'm keying everything according to the rules.

          In other words, when I type: C / F... / G... the F and G bars do HOLD. But then, when I mute the

          drums in BAR SETTINGS at bar F, the HOLD stops working.

          So, is there a way to achieve both?

          Thanks, Peter

        • dhbailey52
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 3, 2009
            Peter Mercurio wrote:
            > Hi All,
            >
            > I hope what I want to do is possible.
            >
            > I've set up BIAB with all instruments muted, except for the bass and drums, and I play guitar along with those.
            >

            > At a certain bar, on the first beat, I want the drums to mute off and the bass to play and sustain a root note for 4 beats;
            >
            > and for the next 8 bars the drums continue to be muted and the bass again plays and sustains one note in each bar.
            >
            > There after everything go back to usual.
            >

            > Now, by way of the Chord Settings dialog screen I can can produce a sustain by clicking on HOLD CHORD setting.
            >
            > And, by way of the Bar Settings dialog screen I'm able to achieve a mute of the drums. But, I can't seem to have both
            >
            > operating together. For example, if I have the bass sustain thing happening, as soon as I enact the drum mute in BAR SETTINGS the
            >
            > bass stops sustaining and plays as usual. Or the bass holds, but the drum still plays on the first beat and rests.
            >
            > I know I'm keying everything according to the rules.

            Don't mute the drums in the Bar Settings -- Mute the drums
            in the Chord Settings dialog. You do that by telling BIAB
            to HOLD CHORD on all instruments Except, and then include
            piano, guitar, strings, drums in that, leaving the Bass
            holding the chord as you're doing now.

            --
            David H. Bailey
            dhbailey@...
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 4, 2009
              Hi All,

              Is there any way of creating a chord such as Fsus2#11(basically a triad-an alternative rendering could be Fsus2 flatted 5th. I don't want the 3rd of the chord to sound, and I don't want the major or flat 7th tones to sound. This chord would function as the IV Chord and I would improvise using the Lydian mode.

              Thanks, Peter

            • rlemos@calstatela.edu
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 4, 2009
                Hi Peter,

                Here is "work-around" suggestion.

                It looks like all you want to sound are the notes F (root), G (2nd),
                B (b5/#11). These notes form a G7 (no 5th).

                Try inputting a G7/F chord into BIAB. This might give you the sound
                you want. There might still be a D in there, but it is relatively
                neutral and would be part of your Lydian mode scale choices.

                Hope this helps.

                Ron
              • rlemos@calstatela.edu
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 4, 2009
                  Addendum:

                  You can also try simply G/F.

                  Ron

                  ====================

                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 7, 2009
                    Hi All,

                    It seems that no matter how many times I select 1 Acoustic Piano for my piano patch, and then save the entire song, as soon as I click on the play button, the piano patch always reverts to 5 Rhodes Electric Piano. The only work around I've found is to do a patch change through the BAR SETTINGS window. But that shouldn't be necessary, should it? I'm using version 2008.5.

                    Thanks Peter

                  • dhbailey52
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 7, 2009
                      Peter Mercurio wrote:
                      > Hi All,
                      >
                      > It seems that no matter how many times I select 1 Acoustic Piano for my piano patch, and then save the entire song, as soon as I click on the play button, the piano patch always reverts to 5 Rhodes Electric Piano. The only work around I've found is to do a patch change through the BAR SETTINGS window. But that shouldn't be necessary, should it? I'm using version 2008.5.

                      Simply saving the song won't save your patch settings.

                      Use alt-F2 to call up the "Save song with patches and
                      settings" dialog and then set the piano patch to be what you
                      want and then click the save button. The next time you open
                      the song, your desired piano patch should still be what plays.

                      --
                      David H. Bailey
                      dhbailey@...
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 9, 2009
                        Hi All,

                        With the song not playing, when I click on each instrument's name in the main window and then adjust its volume to say 70 or whatever(each will have its own number), when I click on the play button, the volumes change to other and louder numbers. Even if I save the song before clicking on the PLAY button. How do I get the volumes I set in the main window retain?

                        Thanks, Peter

                      • JERRY SEITZ
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 9, 2009
                          I think you need to set volumes of instruments to each tune. I just discovered (alt f2) It allowed me to standerdize my set list of tunes to the same volumes for the instruments, along with the back up instruments I use ie. acustic guitar, and drum brushes and acustic piano. I can also standerdize reverb and chorus.

                        • dhbailey52
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 9, 2009
                            Peter Mercurio wrote:
                            > Hi All,
                            >
                            > With the song not playing, when I click on each instrument's name in the main window and then adjust its volume to say 70 or whatever(each will have its own number), when I click on the play button, the volumes change to other and louder numbers. Even if I save the song before clicking on the PLAY button. How do I get the volumes I set in the main window retain?

                            Jerry Seitz has given you a good answer -- the reason they
                            change when you click PLAY is that a new arrangement is
                            generated each time you click PLAY, and the volumes from the
                            style are used.

                            If you want the same volumes on the different instruments
                            every time you open that song, you hit alt-F2 (like Jerry
                            suggested) and then you can set the volumes and the patches
                            and then when you click SAVE from that dialog, those are all
                            saved with the song so that's what you'll hear next time you
                            open the song and click PLAY.

                            Supposedly the new version of BIAB has a user-settable
                            option so that you can always have the patches and settings
                            saved each time you save the song, but we won't know how
                            well that works until people get the new version installed.

                            --
                            David H. Bailey
                            dhbailey@...
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 9, 2009
                              David and Jerry,

                              OK. This is what I've done. With the music stopped, from the main program window I've set the Piano to 70, the Bass to 90, the Drums to 65. I then pushed Alt/F2 and in this dialog I make sure my patch numbers are correct (piano=1, Bass=33, drums=1). There's no place in this dialog to set volume numbers. I then check "Save Mixer Settings With Each Song." Next I click SAVE and after confirming the process I am brought back to the main window. I then click the the general save button. But, when I then press PLAY, each of the instruments that I've previously set volumes for play back at the same 90 volume. Sorry to be dense, but what am I missing.

                              Thanks again, Peter

                            • Dick
                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 9, 2009
                                Peter,

                                After pushing Alt/F2, look in the upper right hand side under the heading "Save Settings for" and make sure the Volume box is checked.

                                Good Luck.

                                Dick

                              • JERRY SEITZ
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 10, 2009
                                  on the right side of thewindow there is a list of items for settings after you set the volume and reverb and chorus or anything else you want to set on the main window of biab you check these items off and it will save the settings you made for the the tune you had in the main window. I am sorry if this sounds confusing I am not a very good explainer

                                • Bob 'Notes' Norton
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 11, 2009
                                    You're right. I'm confused.

                                    Try explaining again, step by step.

                                    Bob

                                    At 08:10 PM 12/10/2009, you wrote:
                                    >on the right side of thewindow there is a list of items for settings after you set the volume and reverb and chorus or anything else you want to set on the main window of biab you check these items off and it will save the settings you made for the the tune you had in the main window. I am sorry if this sounds confusing I am not a very good explainer

                                    >------------------------------------
                                    >
                                    >The Band-in-a-Box Group - tell your friends about us!

                                    >Be sure you are a member each of the three groups so you have access to
                                    >all the files.
                                    >
                                    >Newest messages:
                                    >* One-message-at-a-time:
                                    >* Expanded view with many messages at a time:
                                    >
                                    >Post a message: Send it as an email to:
                                    >mailto:Band-in-a-Box@yahoogroups.com
                                    >
                                    >Contact a moderator:
                                    >mailto:Band-in-a-Box-owner@yahoogroups.com
                                    >
                                    >Too much mail? Change to "Only special notices: Only send
                                    >me important update emails from the group moderator." at:
                                    >... then click the "Save Changes" button
                                    >
                                    >Unsubscribe (see "Too much mail?" above first):
                                    >... and click the "Leave Group" button
                                    >
                                    >Help:
                                    >http://help.yahoo.com/help/groups
                                    >
                                    >Manage your subscription by email:
                                    >mailto:Band-in-a-Box-help@yahoogroups.com

                                    ---===«<>»===---
                                    Bob "Notes" Norton -- norton@...
                                    • Norton Music: http://www.nortonmusic.com
                                    • The Sophisticats: http://www.s-cats.com >^..^< >^..^<
                                    --
                                  • JERRY SEITZ
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 11, 2009
                                      OK.

                                      First call up your tune in the main window of biab. Set the volume, reverb and chorus or anything else you want there, then bring up the "Save Settings window "via alt f2". On the right side of that window it says "Save settings for". Check the boxes for the settings you want to save. On the left side of the window put in the patch number for the instruments you want to use. note each patch box has to have a number in it or at least a 0 or it won't work. I also uncheck the items I don't want to use, ie Melody, Soloist, etc. then I don't get any suprizes. Then hit SAVE!

                                      It works great. I used it for the first time yesterday at a gig and I was very pleased with the results.

                                      Jerry