Re: [Band-in-a-Box] Audio Chord Wizard

  • dhbailey52
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
      Brace58 wrote:
      > Hi all, new to BIAB and this site. NYC lad. Whats the best way to get
      > accurate ACW results? I have tried with mp3 and the chords are all
      > wrong, well most of them. Is wav or CD better?

      First off, you have to realize that any chordal analysis of
      a complex performance is prone to being incorrect.

      For instance, think about this following scenario:

      The music calls for a C major chord, which would be the
      pitches C, E, G in various octaves.

      Now imagine that the bass player is in the middle of a
      walking bass pattern when this chord occurs, a pattern which
      has the bass playing A on the beat where the C chord sounds.
      Immediately it looks like a Am7 chord.

      To further complicate the issue the piano is playing the
      melody which is playing a D, moving to an F and finally to a
      G. That D and F make the combination of pitches look more
      like a Dm11 chord.

      Which of the three possibilities should the analyzing
      software choose?

      The ACW will work best on music played by a solo piano where
      there are clear block-chords being played in the left hand.
      Adding any other moving parts simply increases the
      possibility of selecting the wrong chord.

      What it will do is to give you great possibilities.

      Since you say they're the wrong chords, that means that you
      must know what the right chords are. Why not simply enter
      those chords to begin with?

      If you don't have the written music with the chords printed
      on it, then you could consider those ACW chords as possible
      alternatives.

      In any event, don't expect too much from it -- it can't tell
      which parts are moving parts, which are non-chord melodic
      tones, etc.

      --
      David H. Bailey
      dhbailey@...
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
        Hi, you are exactly correct. My issue is i am trying to make backing tracks. I saw BIAB as a possible good way to do this. I play solo guitar for wedings and lounge etc (www.myspace.com/alanbrace) and i thought i would be able to suck an mp3 track in by say, George benson, convert to BIAB chords and then "send to BIAB" and mute the guitar in order to make a great backing track?
        Thanks for input i am going to keep on with this. It would seem much easier than playing my keyboard into a midi file and messing around LOL
        Bracey

      • Gerald (Gerry) Sondreal
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
          > Brace ...
          > The key to getting the chords right is setting the bar 1 indicator.
          If
          > it is not in the proper location the chords will be all wrong.

          Please tell me a little more about bar 1 indicator. I have given up a
          number of times, I just do see???
          Gerry
        • Brace58
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
            I am trying to make backing tracks. I thought it might be cool to ACW
            a tune and get the tempo and chord sequences right, samples and all,
            then send to BIAB. Delete the WaV that is created an voila! But, I
            can not seem to pick the right point that the first bar starts as. I
            do know the chords to the tunes i am making tracks for but it was an
            experiment.

            Thanks for all replies btw
          • Gary Thompson
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 1, 2008
              Gerald ...
              In the Audio Chord Wizard there is a display along the top of the wave
              shape of the Audio file. Just below that are bar numbers to indicate the
              position in the file. When you spot the start of the melody (e.g. skip
              the intro, skip the preamble), right click on the bar number below that
              spot in the Audio file and select Bar 1. This will change the bar
              numbers at this point to 1:1 - where the melody starts. This should also
              align on a beat. Thus BIAB will know what key to start in and can more
              closely calculate the chords in the song.

              There are two displays in the Chord Wizard ...
              1. Chord Sheet
              2. Note Bars

              By selecting Notes, you can display the virtual notes that were detected
              by BIAB based on the pitches found. If you are musically gifted, you
              might be able to work out some alternate chords for yourself.

              The calculated chords may not be exactly what the composer had in mind
              because the performance includes many instruments playing 'around' the
              chords, but if you get the bar 1 correctly positioned, the calculated
              chords should work.
            • Ronald Hanson
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 11, 2012
                I would normally just enter the chords manually but I have several dozen old rock and roll songs I need to quickly arrange and it occurred that maybe technology could help. Maybe BiaB could quickly capture the chords for me automatically. Will it take more time to learn to do that than it would to just do it manually? Good question.
                So I boot BiaB. I pick out an appropriate Style and set the tempo to 163 (All Shook Up). Whether I use Open Audio w/ Chords or Launch Audio Chord Window I get the same window and the program successfully captures the file and, after I learned to leave a space at the beginning of the Wave file, even sets the beginning of the song accurately. Appears to do a great job on the chord finding business but has no idea about the tempo. Way too slow.
                How do I correct the program's faulty interpretation of the tempo? What do they mean, tap on the F8 key? Can someone offer a few simple pointers? Thank you so much.
                Ron Hanson
              • Jim
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 11, 2012
                  Play the original song at the correct tempo and tap the "F8" key keeping beat with the song as it plays.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 11, 2012
                    I'm sorry, that really didn't help much, Jim. Once you've opened the wizard you've already got the Wave file there. Playing it and tapping the F8 key does nothing.
                    Ron

                    --- In Band-in-a-Box@yahoogroups.com, Jim <gemhughs@...> wrote:

                    > Play the original song at the correct tempo and tap the "F8" key keeping beat with the song as it plays.

                  • Gary Thompson
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 11, 2012
                      ronhansonks wrote:
                      > I'm sorry, that really didn't help much, Jim. Once you've opened the
                      > wizard you've already got the Wave file there. Playing it and
                      > tapping the F8 key does nothing.

                      Ron ...
                      You first have to click on the Tap tempo (F8) button. Then as you hit
                      the f8 key it will record a bar start. It will then change the detected
                      tempo.

                      --
                      Computers will never replace good old-fashioned human stupidity.
                      -- Anon
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 11, 2012
                        Well, never mind. For the second song I loaded (Sugar Shack) the audio chord wizard automatically figured out the tempo really close and when I used the little green handle to tighten it up a little on the third bar the rest of the song was almost perfect and the chord interpretation around 90% accurate.
                        Ron

                        --- In Band-in-a-Box@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald Hanson" <yahoo@...> wrote:

                        > I would normally just enter the chords manually but I have several dozen old rock and roll songs I need to quickly arrange and it occurred that maybe technology could help. Maybe BiaB could quickly capture the chords for me automatically. Will it take more time to learn to do that than it would to just do it manually? Good question.
                        > So I boot BiaB. I pick out an appropriate Style and set the tempo to 163 (All Shook Up). Whether I use Open Audio w/ Chords or Launch Audio Chord Window I get the same window and the program successfully captures the file and, after I learned to leave a space at the beginning of the Wave file, even sets the beginning of the song accurately. Appears to do a great job on the chord finding business but has no idea about the tempo. Way too slow.
                        > How do I correct the program's faulty interpretation of the tempo? What do they mean, tap on the F8 key? Can someone offer a few simple pointers? Thank you so much.
                        > Ron Hanson

                      • Dave Allen
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 11, 2012
                          Check out the Fakebook Disks from Norton Music here  is the link to his page.    http://www.nortonmusic.com/contents.html#fake
                          Saves a lot of time

                          Dave

                        • Bob 'Notes' Norton
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 14, 2012
                            At 08:57 PM 9/11/2012, you wrote:

                            >Check out the Fakebook Disks from Norton Music here is the link to his page.   http://www.nortonmusic.com/contents.html#fake
                            >Saves a lot of time
                            >
                            >Dave

                            Thanks, Dave!

                            Notes

                            ---===o0O0o===---
                            Bob "Notes" Norton • owner, Norton Music • http://www.nortonmusic.com
                            Download your FREE BiaB song file of the week (usually from one of my fake disks)
                            --
                          • Dave Allen
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 14, 2012
                              No problem Notes. I love the ones I have, and will let others know any time I can.

                              Dave Allen
                              www.DaveAllenProductions.com

                            • Robert Kimera
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 14, 2012