Re: BIAB 2005/BIAB2008

  • rkl122
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2008
      > He can load it right on top, in the same folder, with no problems.
      >
      > However, what he might want to do (depending on which version of
      each he
      > has) is to install 2008 into a different directory (call it
      C:/bb2008 or
      > some such thing) and that way he can continue to work in BIAB2005 until
      > he is comfortable with all that BIAB2008 has to offer.

      Over many years of megapak to megapak upgrades, I have followed
      David's first suggestion with no apparent problem. It is the common
      wisdom that over-installation does no harm.

      Just this last time, I had an issue that leads me to wonder. I
      upgraded 2008 over 2007 and later found a small bug peculiar to my
      installation. I now believe I had a defective disc. (Win Explorer
      froze when trying to read the 12 Pak or PDF folders, but since the
      setup.exe had seemed to install normally, I'd left it alone.) After
      PG replaced the disc (and after trying a bunch of things that didn't
      fix the problem), I over-installed from the new disc. That *still*
      didn't fix the problem. However, when I did a fresh install from the
      new disc - ie. David's second suggestion - the problem went away.

      FWIW, this experience suggests to me that even though a megapak
      upgrade is capable of doing a completely fresh installation, if it is
      *over*-installing, it can detect what's already there and choose not
      to replace executable components that it regards as "carryover." PG
      phone support implied as much to me also.

      Just a minor caveat, since I think my experience is a rare one. And,
      of course, as David implies, if you do a fresh install you gotta deal
      with preserving all the goodies you've accumulated - eg. extras that
      came with prior megapaks. -Ron