Re: [Band-in-a-Box] Re: Problems converting to audio file - for windows media player

  • John Navarro
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 30, 2007
      If you open the applicable SUG file in band in the box and click on the .WAV button left of the play button Band in the box will start a record sequence and convert it to a WAV file. I do that to transfer files to non Band in a box users to hear what I want them to familurize with for upcomming church music. Hope it works for you.

      John Navarro

      So, no luck with any of that, ....entertaining other ways of
      achcieving the same thing, i.e. converting SGU files to WAV or WMA,
      anyone of have any experience using other software to do the job,
      like a shareware program available on line? There seem to be alot out
      there ...

      Thanks
      Oren

    • dhbailey52
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 30, 2007
        oren selah wrote:

        > So, no luck with any of that, ....entertaining other ways of
        > achcieving the same thing, i.e. converting SGU files to WAV or WMA,
        > anyone of have any experience using other software to do the job,
        > like a shareware program available on line? There seem to be alot out
        > there ...

        There are no programs that will convert sgu files to wav because it's
        not a conversion process at all.

        SGU files only contain the instructions to tell BIAB things like the
        chord structure, the number of choruses, tag endings, that sort of
        thing. It doesn't contain the midi data at all, that is generated by
        BIAB when you click on PLAY. Therefore the .sgu files, which are only
        like 1KB or 2KB in size, can only be made into .wav or .wma files by
        BIAB, which is the only program which knows how to interpret the small
        amount of data in the .sgu file and generate the enormous amount of data
        necessary for a .wav or .wma file.

        One way you CAN convert is to open the .sgu file in BIAB and then save
        it as a midi file (.mid) using the proper command in BIAB. Then you can
        use a program such as Windows Media Player (I'm relying on remembering
        what others have said because I've never done things that way) or iTunes
        and convert from MIDI file into WAVE file.

        --
        David H. Bailey
        dhbailey@...
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 30, 2007
          John Navarro wrote:

          > If you open the applicable SUG file in band in the box and click on the
          > .WAV button left of the play button Band in the box will start a record
          > sequence and convert it to a WAV file. I do that to transfer files to
          > non Band in a box users to hear what I want them to familurize with for
          > upcomming church music. Hope it works for you.
          >
          > John Navarro

          That's what he's been trying to do with no luck -- his audio files come
          up empty, and we've been trying to help coach him on how to get the
          audio output recorded, bu with no luck.

          --
          David H. Bailey
          dhbailey@...
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 30, 2007
            Thanks for the clear explanation, I understand it much better
            now....there's another piece to the puzzle..... I get this message
            when I start BIAB, first saying that "Roland VSC is installed but in
            use by another program, ok to use alternate driver?", then I choose
            the microsoft driver thats in there, and it says its "not a software
            synth and the latency should be set to zero", I always just click
            ok........maybe I shouldve mentioned this earlier as it does effect
            the MIDI output doesnt it.............
            The other option you mentioned sounds like an easy enough way to
            accomplish the same thing, but I cant figure out exactly how to save
            a program as a midi file?

            ~ Oren

            --- In Band-in-a-Box@yahoogroups.com, dhbailey52 <dhbailey52@...>
            wrote:

            > oren selah wrote:
            > >

            > > So, no luck with any of that, ....entertaining other ways of
            > > achcieving the same thing, i.e. converting SGU files to WAV or
            WMA,
            > > anyone of have any experience using other software to do the job,
            > > like a shareware program available on line? There seem to be alot
            out
            > > there ...
            > >

            > There are no programs that will convert sgu files to wav because
            it's
            > not a conversion process at all.
            >
            > SGU files only contain the instructions to tell BIAB things like
            the
            > chord structure, the number of choruses, tag endings, that sort of
            > thing. It doesn't contain the midi data at all, that is generated
            by
            > BIAB when you click on PLAY. Therefore the .sgu files, which are
            only
            > like 1KB or 2KB in size, can only be made into .wav or .wma files
            by
            > BIAB, which is the only program which knows how to interpret the
            small
            > amount of data in the .sgu file and generate the enormous amount of
            data
            > necessary for a .wav or .wma file.
            >
            > One way you CAN convert is to open the .sgu file in BIAB and then
            save
            > it as a midi file (.mid) using the proper command in BIAB. Then
            you can
            > use a program such as Windows Media Player (I'm relying on
            remembering
            > what others have said because I've never done things that way) or
            iTunes
            > and convert from MIDI file into WAVE file.
            >
            > --
            > David H. Bailey
            > dhbailey@...

          • Philippe Lemaire (TLI)
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 30, 2007
              dhbailey52 wrote:
              > John Navarro wrote:
              >>

              >> If you open the applicable SUG file in band in the box and click on the
              >> .WAV button left of the play button Band in the box will start a record
              >> sequence and convert it to a WAV file. I do that to transfer files to
              >> non Band in a box users to hear what I want them to familurize with for
              >> upcomming church music. Hope it works for you.
              >>
              >> John Navarro
              >>

              > That's what he's been trying to do with no luck -- his audio files come
              > up empty, and we've been trying to help coach him on how to get the
              > audio output recorded, bu with no luck.

              Using Coyotte, a nice .WAV is done off-line...

              Gerardus
            • dhbailey52
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 30, 2007
                oren selah wrote:

                > Thanks for the clear explanation, I understand it much better
                > now....there's another piece to the puzzle..... I get this message
                > when I start BIAB, first saying that "Roland VSC is installed but in
                > use by another program, ok to use alternate driver?", then I choose
                > the microsoft driver thats in there, and it says its "not a software
                > synth and the latency should be set to zero", I always just click
                > ok........maybe I shouldve mentioned this earlier as it does effect
                > the MIDI output doesnt it.............
                > The other option you mentioned sounds like an easy enough way to
                > accomplish the same thing, but I cant figure out exactly how to save
                > a program as a midi file?

                Look in the manual.

                There's an icon which looks like the Save icon except that there's a
                circle with 5 dots on it (looks like a midi plug). Click on that.

                Tell it to save as a Type1 midi file, and save it on disk.

                --
                David H. Bailey
                dhbailey@...
                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 30, 2007
                  click the 2nd button to the left of the green start arrow and it will save it as a midi file.,

                  John Navarro

                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 30, 2007
                    Philippe Lemaire (TLI) (philippe_lmr@...), Tuesday, October 30, 2007
                    6:38 PM

                    > Using Coyotte, a nice .WAV is done off-line...

                    Several programs can render MIDI to WAV (or even MP3) at CPU speed. A
                    relatively slow computer may thus do the job at all, a relatively fast
                    computer may do it in a fraction of the playing time.

                    Sidetrack (for Oren, if it isn't too much):

                    Rendering MIDI to audio depends on the device used (or the sound font used
                    with the device). Just like an order of coffee returns different cups of
                    different liquid.
                    If you know or can imagine this, good. Just in case you don't, visit
                    http://www.dosgg.nl/muziek/verschillen.html#soundfonts. That site is in
                    Dutch, and an English adaptation of this piece of text has been lost with
                    another website. But the hyperlinks you can click represent renderings of
                    the same songs ("Andante", created for the purpose, and "Tucker", both
                    composed using BiaB) using different sound bases (broader than "sound
                    fonts"). The purpose is merely showing that there *is* a difference, not to
                    prove any "best".
                    I used Audio Compositor (since disappeared), but I suggest that you try
                    SynthFont if you get inspired: http://www.synthfont.com/.

                    --
                    Chris Laarman
                  • Gary Thompson
                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 30, 2007
                      Oren ...
                      In the BB directory there is a file named 'intrface.bbw'. Rename this
                      file to something else.
                      When you start BIAB, this file will be created again - you will be
                      prompted to initialize your audio and midi ports.
                      Perhaps this will solve your problem.

                      --
                      Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the
                      reason why so few choose to engage in it.
                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 31, 2007
                        On Oct 30, 2007 1:16 AM, oren selah <orenselah@...> wrote:

                        > So, no luck with any of that, ....entertaining other ways of
                        > achcieving the same thing, i.e. converting SGU files to WAV or WMA,
                        > anyone of have any experience using other software to do the job,
                        > like a shareware program available on line? There seem to be alot out
                        > there ...
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        > Oren

                        Oren,

                        I usually save my SGU files as MIDI files and then use other software
                        to convert them to WAV or MP3 files.

                        - Clif