Baltimore Running News 10/6/11

  • Jim Adams
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2011

      1.      Zoo
      Zoom
      2.      Pacing
      for Parkinsons
      3.      Run
      for Green
      4.      Bill
      Rodgers at Expo
      5.      Marathon
      101 night
      6.      Gobble
      Cobble Turkey Trot
      7.      Celtic
      Solstice Update
      8.      Email
      list update
      9.      Expo Help
      10.  UA
      Run Baltimore Shirts

      -Zoo Zoom Revived – the Zoo Zoom returns this year on
      November 20th.  The course
      will take you through several parts of the zoo, including the Africa exhibit,
      the Polar Bear exhibit, and a portion of the Children’s Zoo.  The shirt design on a technical fabric is
      amazing.

      In its first year back the registrations will be limited to the
      first 500 runners only.  A large part of
      that is dictated by how many runners we believe the animal exhibits can handle
      at any given point in time.  The other
      races that run through the zoo just follow the main road and don’t go into the
      exhibit areas.

      This will not be a PR course once you get inside the
      zoo.  The numerous twists and turns in
      the animal exhibit areas will slow you down some, but not enough to keep you
      from beating that guy running just in front of you if you try!

      Registration is at: http://www.active.com/running/baltimore-md/maryland-zoo-zoom-2011

      -Marathon Prep 101 Thursday night at Falls Road Running –
      with over 50 marathons between them, Jim Adams and “Pacer” Pete Mulligan will
      get you ready for the Baltimore Marathon.  Pete just qualified for Boston last weekend, and Jim has already run
      several Bostons as well as organized Baltimore Marathon course runs.  Both Jim and Pete have spent time in the back
      of the back, Pete being an expert 4:30 pacer and Jim having run 5:10 as an
      observer one year in the MCM.

      Discussion starts at 7 PM, come early if you want to browse
      and pick up some last minute items as the regular staff will probably go home
      at the normal closing hours.

      -Pacing for Parkinson’s will conduct a fund-raising bake
      sale at Falls Road Running this Saturday.  The treats are always superb, and the youngsters staffing the table are
      friendly and enthusiastic, so if you are coming by the shop this Saturday, make
      a point to stop and say “Hello” while you buy a cookie or two.

      -Run for Green 5K is this Saturday on the NCR Trail, Paper
      Mill Road parking lot.  Rumor has it that
      some of the prizes include $100 Gift certificate to a major local supermarket,
      and wine-tasting for a party of twelve at Boordy…and that is just scratching
      the surface!     Go to active.com and type in Run for Green
      in the search box for details and to register…or come by Falls Road Running
      Thursday afternoon!

      -Bill Rodgers, 4 time winner of the Boston Marathon and
      winner of several New York Marathons, will be signing autographs in the Falls
      Road Running booth at the Baltimore Marathon expo.  He also won the Maryland Marathon so many
      years ago that started and finished at Memorial Stadium on 33rd Street, which was torn down a long time ago.  He is a great guy, very approachable and talkative, so stop in and say “Hi”.

      -Registration for the November24th Gobble Cobble Turkey Trot
      is open on active.com now.  The course
      goes out and back through Fells Point, then on the Pratt Street Trolley Lane
      and back on the Harbor Promenade.

      -Registration is also open for the Celtic Solstice.  There are 3,000 slots open, and a little over
      1,000 have been assigned as of this writing…so don’t delay.

      -Email list update – we are currently bringing our website
      up to 21st Century standards, but still have a way to go.  Right now I email to several lists, and some
      are redundant and some not so.  In the
      future all the email lists will be consolidated into one, and we can adjust
      from there

      -We are still a bit short of people to work the Baltimore
      Marathon expo.   If interested send me an
      email.  We are working with two shifts,
      morning and evening on October 13th and 14th.  Hours are 10 AM – 9 PM.  One of our vendors is looking for help too,
      in the afternoon.  Email baltimorerunning@... if
      interested.

      -The Underarmour Baltimore Marathon shirts are in at Falls
      Road.  Bright neon yellow, they are the
      perfect early morning/twilight running shirt when visibility is an issue.  Last year we sold all of them the first day
      of the Marathon expo, this year we are selling them in the store pre-expo for
      our current visitors.

      More to come on a later date!

      Jim Adams
      Falls Road Running