Re: Movable candle wick

  • Risk
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 24, 2005
      I found some cotton pipe cleaners in a tobacco shop this afternoon.
      They make FANTASTIC wicks when made like the patent papers say and
      then are set on top of a tin of melted candle wax (once it has
      solidified.)

      Plus, this is a great way to finish using up all those candles Diane
      has around the house that are all lopsided.

      (BTW, as I understand it, making personal copies of patented designs
      to evaluate their properties is completely legal. However, to sell
      such an evaluation copy would be illegal. So to see how this works,
      one must either make their own wick or buy a Nuwick candle.)

      Rick
    • Adrnlnjnky
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 24, 2005
        cool, that's a nice idea, I'll have to try that tonight.

        On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 20:51:47 -0000, Kith
        <mail@...> wrote:

        > Hi from the UK,
        > You can make excellent wicks by placing small pieces of charcoal in
        > pools or pieces of wax. light the top of the charcoal, which can be
        > up to half an inch above the wax, and it can burn for several hours.
        > Kith
        >

        > -- In BackpackingTalk@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <rick@b...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I was fascinated by the movable wick of the Nuwick candle.
        > >
        > > I read the patent here:
        > >
        > > http://tinyurl.com/4zrhn
        > >
        > > And I made several little wicks to burn a half inch of melted candle
        > > wax I had put in a round Altoids tin.
        > >
        > > I cut out a piece of aluminum flashing 1/3 of an inch wide and 5
        > > inches long to use as a pair of tweezers to move the wicks around.
        > >
        > > The advantage of the movable wick, is that it can be moved from spot
        > > to spot in the tin of wax and it does not get drowned by the
        > wax.
        > >
        > > I did not have any cotton pipe cleaners. The plastic ones burn and
        > do
        > > not work, so I took some wisps of cotton from a cotton ball and
        > coated
        > > the upright portion of the wick. It worked OK. I also tried
        > winding
        > > the upright with some cotton kite string. that also worked OK.
        > >
        > > I guess I need to find some cotton pipe cleaners at a pipe store.
        > > There were none at the Michael's craft store.
        > >
        > > This is a really good way to recycle the little puddles of wax in AT
        > > shelters from candles that melted.
        > >
        > > Rick
        > >
        > > Rick

        Tom Peltier

        In the winter we play on the frozen snow and
        in the spring we play on the unfrozen snow!!
      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 24, 2005
          Thanks, for the idea, I'll try it.

          Where in the UK, with Kith I'm guessing Scots?
          Ralph

          <mail@...> wrote:

          > Hi from the UK,
          > You can make excellent wicks by placing small pieces of charcoal in
          > pools or pieces of wax. light the top of the charcoal, which can be
          > up to half an inch above the wax, and it can burn for several hours.
          > Kith

        • Dan Reed
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 24, 2005
            --- In BackpackingTalk@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <rick@b...> wrote:

            > I was fascinated by the movable wick of the Nuwick candle.
            >
            > I read the patent here:
            >
            > http://tinyurl.com/4zrhn

            Could you see the images assocciated with the patent? I tried
            several things and couldn't see any.
            Dan
          • Rick Allnutt
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 24, 2005
              Dan Reed wrote:

              --- In BackpackingTalk@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <rick@b...> wrote:

              > I was fascinated by the movable wick of the Nuwick candle.
              >
              > I read the patent here:
              >
              > http://tinyurl.com/4zrhn

                Could you see the images assocciated with the patent? I tried
              several things and couldn't see any.
              Dan

              Yes, they eventually showed up with the quicktime viewer, however, a TIFF viewer works better.  I believe the Patent Office suggests a couple freeware programs.

              Rick
            • Dan Reed
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 25, 2005
                > Yes, they eventually showed up with the quicktime viewer, however, a
                > TIFF viewer works better. I believe the Patent Office suggests a
                couple
                > freeware programs.
                >
                > Rick

                I'll check the patent office website, thanks
                Dan
              • Dan Reed
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 25, 2005
                  --- In BackpackingTalk@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Reed" <dannreed@g...> wrote:

                  > > Yes, they eventually showed up with the quicktime viewer, however, a
                  > > TIFF viewer works better. I believe the Patent Office suggests a
                  > couple
                  > > freeware programs.
                  > >
                  > > Rick

                  With a little searching and luck I found the image viewer downloads,
                  and after downloading and installing, it works great....thanks
                  Dan
                • Kith
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 25, 2005
                    Kith is my pagan/trail name. Yes it is from `Kith and Kin` but based
                    on the meaning (`Kith` meaning `friend`) rather than on somewhat more
                    modern scottish usage. I do love love Scotand tho`, particularly the
                    remote islands. Only downside are the 18+ hours of winter darkness
                    (nearly 2 more than here in East Anglia) and the very high year round
                    rainfall. Still - well worth a visit at any time!
                    Kith

                    --- In BackpackingTalk@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Oborn
                    <Ralph.oborn@g...> wrote:
                    > Thanks, for the idea, I'll try it.
                    >
                    > Where in the UK, with Kith I'm guessing Scots?
                    > Ralph
                    >

                    > On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 20:51:47 -0000, Kith
                    > <mail@e...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Hi from the UK,
                    > > You can make excellent wicks by placing small pieces of charcoal
                    in
                    > > pools or pieces of wax. light the top of the charcoal, which can
                    be
                    > > up to half an inch above the wax, and it can burn for several
                    hours.
                    > > Kith

                  • Ralph Oborn
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 25, 2005
                      been there, born there,

                      Newmarket !

                      Ralph

                      On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:06:26 -0000, Kith
                      <mail@...> wrote:

                      > Kith is my pagan/trail name. Yes it is from `Kith and Kin` but based
                      > on the meaning (`Kith` meaning `friend`) rather than on somewhat more
                      > modern scottish usage. I do love love Scotand tho`, particularly the
                      > remote islands. Only downside are the 18+ hours of winter darkness
                      > (nearly 2 more than here in East Anglia) and the very high year round
                      > rainfall. Still - well worth a visit at any time!
                      > Kith
                      >
                      > --- In BackpackingTalk@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Oborn
                      > <Ralph.oborn@g...> wrote:
                      > > Thanks, for the idea, I'll try it.
                      > >
                      > > Where in the UK, with Kith I'm guessing Scots?
                      > > Ralph
                      > >

                      > > On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 20:51:47 -0000, Kith
                      > > <mail@e...> wrote:
                      > > >

                      > > > Hi from the UK,
                      > > > You can make excellent wicks by placing small pieces of charcoal
                      > in
                      > > > pools or pieces of wax. light the top of the charcoal, which can
                      > be
                      > > > up to half an inch above the wax, and it can burn for several
                      > hours.
                      > > > Kith
                      > > >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Kith
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 26, 2005
                        ...Greetings from Cambridge. (Newmarket 13 miles, for the rest of
                        you!). Where are you now?

                        Feel free to contact me off list!

                        Kith. (MailATecovillageDOTfreeserveDOTcoDOTuk)